Shimano Octalink Crank issue

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’m very new at bicycle maintenance. I’m trying to get up to speed so I can maintain my ride on my own without having to count on the LBS for adjustments and maintenance. I’ve got some tools and have been studying up on some of the specific maintenance for my bike (2010 Trek Cobia). I’ve got an issue removing the drive side Shimano Octalink crank. It appears my LBS buggered up the threads and isn’t allowing my Sette ST-215CB to thread in. I’ve been very careful and haven’t really had time to sit and carefully try it. I wanted to see if there was some sort of easy recourse for me. Also, when I get this crank and BB off and cleaned up good and go to install it again….if I needed a puller to remove it…Do I need something specific to install it? I had some pics of it to post…but I’m not sure how….thanks

You should be able, to remove the arms on both sides, with the Sette ST-215CB tool. When you removed the srew, that tightens the arm, did it goes smooth? Maybe the thread is damaged. If so, this could become a real problem on the drive side. Next to a rubber mallet, you need noting to re-install the arms. When you build the BB back in, keep an eye on the L and R marks

I was able to clean up that thread and get it out with my Sette tool. I never took out the bottom bracket as i just didn’t figure it was necessary. I’ve had no obvious issues with it plus they are sealed bearings. Everything is back together now and all I’m working on now is a perfect adjustment on my brakes and rear derailleur. SATURDAY, will be my first ride after my little unfortunate crash. Shoulder isn’t 100% but i can’t wait anymore……..Thanks for the help.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.