setting up suspensions and bike fit

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

what steps does everyone take to set up there bikes and suspensions?what steps do you take to fit YOUR bike to you?I just want to make sure i know everything.hahahaha.really,im serious.plus its winter time and im trying to post reciprocating threads to cover for the cold weather riding that we all do but sucks because its cold.and throw your riding styles in so we know where your coming from and going to. thanks steve32300

cjm

I like to ride difficult trails. I prefer descending, but a nasty rocky, rooty, climb is always appreciated. I like to get the wheels off the ground from time to time, too. I normally start by dialing the fork, then the rear end.
      I run about 25% sag both front and rear. A zip tie on my fork stanchion, allows me to check the fork. For coil rear shocks move the bumper. Most air sprung rear shocks come with a rubber band.
      I set my compression to bottom out from time to time on a really chundery trails. When setting air adjusted damping, I start with the recommended pressure and the adjust until I am bottoming with a comfortable frequency. For dampers with a knob adjuster, I start at full compression and work my way down. I always try to cross the target. That is, if I think 5 psi will do the trick, then I double it and go with 10.
      I tend to run rebound fast. I find three symptoms when my rebound is out of dial: dropping, jackhammering and bucking. Dropping is what I call it when it feels like the bike is falling ever so slightly beneath me. When I get this, I reduce rebound damping (faster). Jackhammering is when it feels like I am holding or standing on a jackhammer; bucking is when I hit a large obstacle and the suspension tries to buck me off the bike. For both of these, I increase rebound damping (slower). I normally start with my rebound wide open and work from there, again crossing the target with adjustments.
      I have SPV on the rear damper for my AM bike (Swinger Air 4 way). I set it at the recommended setting for my weight. On my Norco Shore (DHX 5.0), I set the propedal wide open for descending, and "salt to taste" by trail texture for pedaling.
      Fitting a bike is really based on the bike’s purpose in life. It’s also has a crap load to do with body type.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.