Seatpost Swivel Issue

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

I just bought a lightly used mountain bike, a 2005 Gary Fisher Tassajara. The issue I’m having is that the saddle rotates when I ride it. At first I thought it was the seatpost rotating inside the frame, but this was not the case. The seatpost on this bike is a Bontrager Sport and it is the original one that came with the bike when the previous owner bought it. The head of the seatpost that attaches to the rails of the saddle rotates inside the seatpost and I can’t figure out how to tighten it. Is this something that can be adjusted and fixed or is the seatpost broken and in need of replacing? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m very new to bike maintenance/repair. Thanks in advance!

Hey, what kind of bass you got there?
      Take the thing apart, then put it back together, that should make any damage and or how it works apparent.

Take the thing apart, then put it back together, that should make any damage and or how it works apparent.

"musikron" wrote

Hey Musikron,
      Thanks for the reply! It’s an Ibanez 5-String SR 505 bass. I’m not sure why that picture is there or how to change it either, haha.

I took the saddle off of the seatpost to see if there was any mechanism to tighten or remove the head, but there was nother there except for the bolt to tighten the clamps on the rails of the saddle. I shined a flashlight down the tube of the seatpost from the bottom and it looks like there it a flat head screw way down inside of it. Guess I’ll have to find a 12.5" flathead screwdriver to find out.

Time for a new seatpost? My personal favorite is the Thompson Elite. It’s not the lightest post on the market, but it may be the most durable. I’m 200lbs and have bent other posts. If you bend or break one of these, I would be amazed!

"gar29" wrote

Time for a new seatpost? My personal favorite is the Thompson Elite. It’s not the lightest post on the market, but it may be the most durable. I’m 200lbs and have bent other posts. If you bend or break one of these, I would be amazed!

Yeah, I think you’re right right about needing a new one. I tried using a 16 inch screwdriver, but couldn’t quite get it. I’m not sure I’m ready to drop 100 dollars on a seatpost yet though. Any opinions on the Sette posts, aluminum or carbon? They seem like a good deal.

I bought an FSA Gravity 350mm Seatpost for $20 from Nashbar!
      [url:1dxms4l1]http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_547693_-1[/url:1dxms4l1]
      It is available in 27.2mm, 30.0mm, 30.9mm, & 31.6mm diameters.
      This one is perfect for gnarly rides and heavier riders. It is a fairly light and robust seatpost that can handle AM, DH, and heavier riders. I love all the adjustability that it has also has.

If you need a longer one because you are a tall fellow, they also have the FSA Gravity Gap 420mm for $15!
      [url:1dxms4l1]http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_547690_-1[/url:1dxms4l1]
      Almost the same as the seatpost above (just longer). It is available in 31.6mm, & 27.2mm diameters.

"blundar" wrote

I bought an FSA Gravity 350mm Seatpost for $20 from Nashbar!
      [url:1xzt5qpn]http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_547693_-1[/url:1xzt5qpn]
      It is available in 27.2mm, 30.0mm, 30.9mm, & 31.6mm diameters.
      This one is perfect for gnarly rides and heavier riders. It is a fairly light and robust seatpost that can handle AM, DH, and heavier riders. I love all the adjustability that it has also has.

If you need a longer one because you are a tall fellow, they also have the FSA Gravity Gap 420mm for $15!
      [url:1xzt5qpn]http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product2_10053_10052_547690_-1[/url:1xzt5qpn]
      Almost the same as the seatpost above (just longer). It is available in 31.6mm, & 27.2mm diameters.

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately they’re out of my size right now, 27.2, but I’ll keep it on my radar as I search. I’m not a very heavy rider, but I do enjoy the rougher trails, so something sturdy like this would be good.

The Thompson’s are definitely pricey! Well worth the money, IMO, if you can swing the price, because they’re so bullet-proof. When you buy one, I would recommend that you don’t buy a single bolt model. I noticed many of the Sette are. I personally find that the two bolts for the seat-clamp seem to stay tight better, offer better adjustability and are more durable.

So, I ended up getting the Sette APX Alloy Seatpost since it was on clearance at pricepoint.com for $11.98 in my size. Seems like a good post from what I’ve been reading and it’s about a 100 gram drop in weight from my Bontrager Seatpost. Can’t comment on how well it works or sturdy it seems yet since I just ordered it. Hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

"pardalrio" wrote

So, I ended up getting the Sette APX Alloy Seatpost since it was on clearance at pricepoint.com for $11.98 in my size. Seems like a good post from what I’ve been reading and it’s about a 100 gram drop in weight from my Bontrager Seatpost. Can’t comment on how well it works or sturdy it seems yet since I just ordered it. Hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

After you ride it a bit, let us know what you think!

Definitely will do!

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.