Salsa Beargrease 2017

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

i keep skipping my pedals on roots and rocks. What is the best way to create more pedal clearance – larger wheels, shorter crank, other?

Technique and line choice. But if your riding flats rock strikes will occur more often than clipless pedals. What size crank arms do you have?

Stop pedaling and let your momentum carry you through chunky sections. Keep those pedals at 3 and 9 o’clock in straightaways and drop the outside pedal to 6 o’clock in corners.

Whereas I have experienced pedal strikes with the ‘17 Beargrease it is not significantly more than what i’ve experienced on other bikes.  What kinds of trails are you riding and what tire pressure are you running?  If you’re riding technical terrain with lots of large rocks at very low tire pressures that’s one thing but based on my experience you shouldn’t be having pedals strikes with roots or small rocks.

The ratcheting technique can be your friend.

You are more or less stuck with the clearance you’ve got on a given bike.  Are you moving in a straight line, more or less, when you are hitting?  In that case, you must be going over some largish objects and you should do so pedals level, with sufficient momentum to get over them, as suggested above, or ratchet if you need a little more “go,” also as suggested above.

If it’s turns where you are having the problem, you should have your outside pedal low and inside pedal high and carry more speed into the turn so you aren’t tempted to pedal or pedal too early.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.