Saddles for Long Distance

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I’m looking to do some long distance riding and I want to find a seat that won’t give me sore thighs after 5 minutes of riding. I’ve heard that there are seats that are designed to accommodate male anatomy and provide better blood flow. Any opinions on these?

Your thighs shouldn’t be hurting after 5minutes, that’s for sure. But, it may not be the saddle that’s causing it either.

Where exactly are your thighs hurting? Is it the muscles hurting, or the inner part that’s rubbing against the seat?

What kind of seat are you using now? How long have you been riding?

The classic saddle shape for epic and endurance riding is the Fizik Arione:
      http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 … 000_202349

I have the shameless Nashbar knock-off:
      http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 … 000_202349

Starting my 3rd season on it and other than a rip from a crash on pavement it’s in great shape.

"dgaddis" wrote

Your thighs shouldn’t be hurting after 5minutes, that’s for sure. But, it may not be the saddle that’s causing it either.

okay, I was exaggerating about how quickly my legs got sore, but I went on a 40- mile ride a while ago and that got to be very uncomfortable at times. My riding posture probably has something to do with it, but the seat I have came with the bike is broken in and it’s not much more comfortable than when I first got the bike.

Try some chamois cream, aka butt butter 😆 It really works. I use ChamoisButt’r brand, but there’s several options out there. Put it on the shorts either the night before the ride or the morning of.

I only use it if I’ll be in the saddle for more than 2.5/3hrs. Anything less than that I don’t need it. But when I do use it I can easily go 6+ hours without getting uncomfortable. Without my butt getting uncomfortable anyways.

If you still want a seat….check and see if any of your local shops have loaner seats to test, that way you can try before you buy. I’m a fan WTB seats, I like both the Rocket and Shadow seats. Last weekend I spent about 3hrs on a Specialized Phenom when I borrowed a friend’s bike, and it was really comfy too. Specialized offers most of their seats in different widths so you can get one that fits your sit bones. Most of their dealers even have a tool to measure your sit bone witdth so you know which size to get. The tool is just a wooden plank with a gel pad on it and a ruler, you sit on the gel pad, and your sit bones leave two indentions, then you just measure how far apart they are.

I think we need a possibly TMI explanation of what hurts…

okay, I was exaggerating about how quickly my legs got sore, but I went on a 40- mile ride a while ago and that got to be very uncomfortable at times. My riding posture probably has something to do with it, but the seat I have came with the bike is broken in and it’s not much more comfortable than when I first got the bike.

Just a thought but is your seat level?If it is tilted forward or backward it can cause discomffort,it don’t take much,even a degree or so tilt can make things uncomfortable.

Still waiting to hear what hurts here…quads, inner thighs, butt bones, etc…

I’ve heard that there are seats that are designed to accommodate male anatomy and provide better blood flow. Any opinions on these?

I just bought a new seat which is both sized(specialized henge saddle)and has the releif area for male anatomy.Although I have never used either of these features in a seat before and have only had the hange for a couple of weeks and only about 4 rides.So far I have experienced more chaffing,pinching while riding and numbness.8 have experienced these same symptoms on other seats in the past like when I first ventured outside of BMX riding and into a road bike commuting stint back in high school.So,it’s kinda feeling like somthing all over new again to me and I’m thinking if I just stick with the new seat I will accomidate eventually in the near future.I’m sure you can find a seat that feels comfy right off the bat for yourself,although for me I think I’m more used to just working it out with the seat I got,it takes time to keep running to the LBS to get another seat to try out till I find one that feels good for now but may not be the right one after a couple months.???In short,I can’t be certain that this seat will work out,but I’ve been through the process before.You may choose to find a comfy one,I bet if you go into the LBS when you can spend a couple hours or so to bolt on differant seats to try out you’ll find somthing pretty close to your satisfaction.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.