Ride the correct direction…!!!

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author

OMG, I hate the D-bags that ride mtn bike parks in the wrong direction! Then they look at me like I’m going the wrong way…. Ergg! That’s all I got… Thank you….

shhheeshhh,have you ever been bombing down a section markd ”BIKE ONLY”,,,,and come around the bend and there’s some lady with a stroller and two kids with a dog walkin down the trail like it’s the freakin mall……….I’m sure there is ALOT to say about this kinda stuff….. 😈

Let the RANT’S fly…….hahahahahaha.

I hear ya though,there’s a few directional trails here and every once in a while I come across somone who thinks he has the right of way but really he didnt read the sign. 😏

The trails I commonly ride have no explicit direction, which I don’t mind at all. When I come across people on the trail, I’m almost always the first to pull off the trail and I wish them a great ride before continuing on my way.

I don’t think I’m any better than anyone else here and don’t intend to talk down to anyone, but would like to promote tolerance in light of recent topics and sentiments. In recent discussions, we’ve had people that chastise new riders for having reflectors on their bike because they hate coming across them on the trail(I stop and stick them in a cargo pocket to throw away later), some that cancel rides or berate others at the site of a dog(I slow down until I get by them, give them a smile and wave before going on my way), some that speak downright venomously of others that ride in inclement weather and now we’re going to pick up a topic in which we speak ill of those that don’t ride a circuit in the same direction as we choose to. It’s getting to be kind of a downer.

It seems exhausting to carry this much anger and hostility around. There’s definitely instances in which it’s the proper emotion but in my very humble and sometimes misguided opinion, some of us here may be embracing it a bit too often. So somebody didn’t read the sign and rode the wrong way. If it didn’t cause a life threatening situation, then go your merry way. If it did, then by all means try to explain the situation to them. You don’t have to hug them, but I wouldn’t carry the occurrence home with me to regurgitate on a forum. It doesn’t matter whether the other guy was an ass to you or not, really. Let him go to his favorite forum when he gets home and tell all his buddies about the jerk he met on the trail.

Like I said, I definitely am not one to tell others how to live but am just sharing my opinion on the matter. If you find a broken reflector(or any trash for that matter), pick it up. If you come across a dog, take the moment to get a drink and granny by. If someone’s tearing up your sweet single track by riding in the muck, try to explain why they might not want to without verbally abusing them. If someone’s ruining your flow because of riding against the grain, decide whether in the big scheme of things, it warrants saying something.

Mellow out some guys. Life goes much easier when you do. And besides, you would make Rodney King proud.

I completely understand what your saying. And I’m also kind and courteous to other riders and hikers alike. I’m talking about seasoned riders on daily directional trails. And I do understand I WILL pass people going in the opposite direction… But I shouldn’t when their is a huge sign saying go clockwise on so and so days and counter on the othe days. It’s just, well, dangerous when you bomb a hill and hit a blind turn and someone is there, going the wrong way…

I’m plenty tolerant………….and this IS my one or two rants for the whole year…………..I know for a FACT some hiker’s hike on a bike trail to get under us biker’s nerves,I give right back to em..And for the lady with the baby stroller,I DONT WANT TO RUN INTO HER BABY STROLLER,poor kid aint got a chance and if ranting about it get’s a bigger sign at the trail head that say ”BIKE’S ONLY”,,that would keep that wreck from happening,then I say more power to it….

"steve32300" wrote

….and if ranting about it get’s a bigger sign at the trail head that say ”BIKE’S ONLY”,,that would keep that wreck from happening,then I say more power to it….

I would be very interested to hear if ranting in this thread gets you a larger sign at the trail head. I might have to rethink my whole life’s outlook.

So were not supposed to talk about what conflicts us at the trail on our mtn bike’s scwimm???Please explain

I agree with Steve. Their is a place and time for being a hippie and pullin out the peace sign…. I’m not too sure this is it, though… And hey, I weigh about 180 plus my bike is another 28 lbs., if they want to walk out in front of me doing 15-20 mph., most the pain is on them… (won’t hit a baby stroller)…! Just the over educated idiots…lol

"steve32300" wrote

So were not supposed to talk about what conflicts us at the trail on our mtn bike’s scwimm???Please explain

This is a forum, intended for the sharing of opinions, whether or not they are in line with yours. I shared mine after you shared yours and then asked you to update us on whether complaining in this thread gets you your new trailhead sign.

You guys are more than welcome to complain to each other to your heart’s desire. Hate it out.

Dude,it’s all good sittin at home on the computer,but when somthing like almost hitting a stroller with a baby in it happens,I dont feel good.I didnt hit the stroller or anything else,I was not only riding under controll and relative constraint,but I also ride with these things on my mind as much as possible so no one get’s hurt.We have had our fare share of people getting hurt in this area and the rules got changed,us rider’s almost lost our privilages to ride because of people getting hurt when they didnt see them soon enough and couldnt stop,I mean people wwent to the hospital at time’s.I dont think it’s talkiin down to anybody when were just talkin about it tryin to keep things coool.

"vKAOSv" wrote

OMG, I hate the D-bags that ride mtn bike parks in the wrong direction! Then they look at me like I’m going the wrong way…. Ergg! That’s all I got… Thank you….

Hahahahaha….I got ya beat bro……We get the ones where they see you go one way, then ask you what the correct direction is, and then just keep going the wrong way, even after clearly explaining this to them…. 😮 😏 😆 😆 😆 😆

It just reminds me of the so many other rights and other lefts people have (two RT’s and two LT’s….hahahaha) 😏

"schwim" wrote

[quote="steve32300":2vaswoqa]So were not supposed to talk about what conflicts us at the trail on our mtn bike’s scwimm???Please explain

This is a forum, intended for the sharing of opinions, whether or not they are in line with yours. I shared mine after you shared yours and then asked you to update us on whether complaining in this thread gets you your new trailhead sign.

You guys are more than welcome to complain to each other to your heart’s desire. Hate it out.[/quote:2vaswoqa]

I did not detect any REAL HATE in the OP’s post,now you(schwimm) call us out as hater’s,I do not appreciate this.And why is it wrong to discuss a mountain bike trail sign on a mountain bike website??I dont under stand your position…

lol

Let it go guys, just not worth it by any means.

I understand a feel schwim, but this posting is was not intended for being a hate posting or non-peaceful posting. If schwim did not like this posting, then why the response and then continued response, as that does not sound as a peaceful posting but just stirring up the pot.

I am very friendly to local riders, non-local riders, walkers, runners, dog lovers, BMX’ers, and all the kids (riding, walking, or running the right or wrong direction). I am a firm believer in keeping the peace and being very diplomatic with ignorance and just plain stupidity on any trail, and I do not talk down to any one, no matter what they are doing wrong, but also on the same note, I will neither take no crap from anyone as well.

We had an incident here yesterday on our local trail with a situation getting out of control between fellow MTB’ers (locals and non-locals), and it turned into a fist fight free for all brawl between 10 or so riders. All started from one hot head local not wanting three visitors filming our trail. One of the local riders (a friend of mine) first day back on the trail within three years (was off the bike due to injuries) is a local cop, and he damn near arrested a couple of those hot heads.

So schwim, I feel ya bro, but sometimes being peaceful cannot be avoided when you got a bunch of childish a-holes around ya….. 😆

Nothing harmful or non peaceful here in this posting. Now, lets all get along…… 😉 😄

"schwim" wrote

In recent discussions, we’ve had people that chastise new riders for having reflectors on their bike because they hate coming across them on the trail(I stop and stick them in a cargo pocket to throw away later),

Hey man, that was me. And I wasn’t chastising. Just poking fun. Just goes to show you it’s hard to interpret "tone" on the Internet sometimes. Kinda like when you made a new member feel right at home: viewtopic.php?f=81&t=7467&p=43368#p43368

😉

For the record, I’m a pretty easy going guy, am very courteous toward other trail users (including dogs), and pick up reflectors and trash left on the trail by others. All to make this world a little bit better place to live…and ride.

Love,
      Fleetwood

All I was intending with this post was…. If you ride a directional trail, please go the correct way. It’s not worth getting someone hurt.

with you on that.

Back to the OP, I’m plenty tolerant on multi-use, multi-direction trails, but when people are not the on the trail they should be on or are going the wrong direction on a trail that is marked as one way, it puts everyone in danger.

If these were cars on bike trails or cars going the wrong way on a one way street, everyone would complain about that. This is no different.

agree 1000% on that maddslacker. when ever there is speed and human life in the same mix we must do all we can to be safe and have our wits about us.

Sometimes I’m that guy going the wrong way. Although never intentional, I have been known to miss directional signs or even jump onto a trail mid-way (as was the case with Greg and I at Blankets Creek a couple weeks ago) where there are no signs.

There’s also the case of trails where there’s no [i:10bl0dsg]official[/i:10bl0dsg] direction of travel but local custom dictates it be ridden a certain way. It seems like I ran into this a good bit in Colorado and the dirty looks I got from other riders were enough to teach me to go the other way the [i:10bl0dsg]next[/i:10bl0dsg] time. 😀

So I’m gonna say give people a break when they’re going the wrong way. It’s rarely if ever intentional and as the better rider you should be riding in control anyway. Just make the directionally-challenged rider aware of the situation and 9 times out of 10 he won’t make the same mistake again.

"trek7k" wrote

There’s also the case of trails where there’s no [i:293pho9i]official[/i:293pho9i] direction of travel but local custom dictates it be ridden a certain way. It seems like I ran into this a good bit in Colorado and the dirty looks I got from other riders were enough to teach me to go the other way the [i:293pho9i]next[/i:293pho9i] time. 😀

Yeah there are a couple of those out here, BUT there are also a lot of weekend warriors who will give you a dirty look no matter what. You just have to ignore them. They’re easy to spot because their bikes are shiny and clean. 😆

"There’s also the case of trails where there’s no [i:31ge6mdc]official[/i:31ge6mdc] direction of travel but local custom dictates it be ridden a certain way. It seems like I ran into this a good bit in Colorado and the dirty looks I got from other riders were enough to teach me to go the other way the [i:31ge6mdc]next[/i:31ge6mdc] time."

Know what you mean. But, in a few cases, I still don’t go the other way the next time.

There seems to be some unwritten rule that you’re only supposed to ride Rampart Reservoir CW. Having ridden it both directions multiple times, I really prefer CCW–enough so that I’ll brave the glares of the "regulars" on the trail.

The phenomenon of drawing wrath by breaking unofficial rules, however, seems to come most often from some trails that are favored as downhill routes, but some folks prefer for their aerobic, uphill qualities. The Chutes in Colorado Springs and Apex Park in golden are good examples.

Funny skibum, Rampart Reservoir is the trail I was thinking of when I wrote that. I also prefer it CCW – maybe we should just start giving dirty looks to everyone else. 😀

The Chutes is a tough one because it’s really an out-and-back (unless you want to climb out and around Gold Camp or Columbine which is basically hike-a-bike for me). I just ignore the glares on that one because I know I’ll be coming right back down and will have to slow down for others coming up.

There seems to be some unwritten rule that you’re only supposed to ride Rampart Reservoir CW.

Specifically it’s CW for MTB and CCW for hikers and dogwalkers…

I need to go back to Rampart, it was one of the first trails I did as a noobie, and the longest I had done at that that time.

I remember having to walk that one hill (when riding CW) but on later trips I rode up it in my middle ring… 😎

We do have directional mountain-bike designated trails at Pocahontas State Park in Central VA, and I’ve encountered some riders going the wrong direction over the years. Some have been on accident, and some were not. You can usually tell. For the ones that I assume know better, I just pass safely and move on with life. For the others, I’ve offered some polite but helpful advice.

I got to ride the Lakeview trails backwards last Fall on a sanctioned night ride. It was awesome!

Now, back to the hatin’!

😼

I have been the guy going the wrong way before, maybe again. When I realized it, well told nicely by another rider I just turned my bike around and had a good ride. I am out to enjoy myself and really avoid getting pissed off for stupidity of others (and sometimes of me)

The first few times I was on this trail new to me, within the first 2 or 3 miles we ended up mistakenly jumping around, and cutting to the end of the trail, and going backwards, ending up where we started. Very confusing, we thought we were lost, and probably did put in a few extra miles. There were mile markers, but since they weren’t facing our direction, and being newbs we didn’t notice them or think to look. It happens sometimes. My bad…

"Trekkie4" wrote

It happens sometimes. My bad…

That’s totally true. I think this was more aimed at the people who go the wrong way on purpose.

"maddslacker" wrote

If these were cars on bike trails

I, for one, oppose cars on bike trails.

😀

"fleetwood" wrote

I, for one, oppose cars on bike trails. 😀

Don’t go to Moab then, several ‘famous’ trails there are shared with jeeps and dirt bikes. 😆

"maddslacker" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":1nh4goof]I, for one, oppose cars on bike trails. 😀

Don’t go to Moab then, several ‘famous’ trails there are shared with jeeps and dirt bikes. 😆[/quote:1nh4goof]
      Yikes.

When you refer to another person as a D-bag (I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant Dirt-bag, not the alternative) you are in fact defining yourself as a hater. Schwim is not in the wrong to point this out. You’re employing a form of verbal abuse and degradation. That’s neither loving nor neutral.

"MarcS" wrote

When you refer to another person as a D-bag (I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant Dirt-bag, not the alternative) you are in fact defining yourself as a hater. Schwim is not in the wrong to point this out. You’re employing a form of verbal abuse and degradation. That’s neither loving nor neutral.

"trek7k" wrote

Sometimes I’m that guy going the wrong way.

Okay, so you didn’t like my monkey picture. Anyway, I pulled up the site a minute ago and this picture was displayed as the header. This is proof positive that trek7k [i:3d612gjl]is[/i:3d612gjl] that guy going the wrong way on the trail. See the arrow?

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="MarcS":1aw407mx]When you refer to another person as a D-bag (I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant Dirt-bag, not the alternative) you are in fact defining yourself as a hater. Schwim is not in the wrong to point this out. You’re employing a form of verbal abuse and degradation. That’s neither loving nor neutral.

Image[/quote:1aw407mx]

Wait, what? 😆

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="trek7k":3dg8z27w]Sometimes I’m that guy going the wrong way.

Okay, so you didn’t like my monkey picture. Anyway, I pulled up the site a minute ago and this picture was displayed as the header. This is proof positive that trek7k [i:3dg8z27w]is[/i:3dg8z27w] that guy going the wrong way on the trail. See the arrow?[/quote:3dg8z27w]

Ha! You got me!

Viewing 36 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.