Promax Disc Brake problems

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I’m running a Schwinn (Pacific Cycles) S60 with Promax disc up front. Bought the bike bout a week ago with one pad up front, the thick one. After getting my new pads today from Ebay (they fit and what not) I’m having the following issue.

The black brake line cover over the brake line pops out of both the top and bottom housings it’s supposed to sit in. You know the one up top that you can turn to adjust it. Also, the caliper arm itself doesn’t seem to spring back. It’s more than content to stay either locked on the rotor or if I roll the wheel it only loosens enough to roll, not to spin, if you know what I mean.

What is the problem? Do I need to lube the cable? Why is my caliper not springing back?

Thanks guys.

The cable is loose. If it’s tight the housing shouldn’t be able to get out of it’s seats.

Where did you buy the bike? A local bike shop, target, wal-mart, etc?

I bought it off craigslist 😀

How tight do I make it? Do I tighten it simply by pulling on the brake cable from the caliper end?

When the wheel is dragging can you move the lever on the caliper? If you can and the wheels spins freely then look at the cable for a kink. Take the cable loose from both ends and see if it moves easily. Hope this helps. 😄 Later,

What happens is, I tighten the cable like it makes sense, pulling the hand lever all the way to 0 pressure, and tighten the nut on the caliper to keep it in place.

Then when I pull on the hand lever, the caliper actuates until the wheel stops, then I let go, and the caliper only loosens enough to for the wheel to roll, but you can hear the pads still gripping the rotor.

The caliper lever never loosens all the way. It’s like the cable is sticking in the black tube covering.

That sounds like the pads aren’t retracting back to their starting position. May have to take the caliper apart and clean and lube the pistons.

"dgaddis" wrote

That sounds like the pads aren’t retracting back to their starting position. May have to take the caliper apart and clean and lube the pistons.

I had to do that to my rear caliper last fall. It was gunked up with dust and grime, but nothing too severe.

Okay, how involved is this process? Any special tools needed? Or should I take it into the local shop? And thanks for the help ya’ll.

I was in a race and the team mechanic did it. I sort of watched. There seemed to be a small wire brush and some lubricant involved…

Did some research on the bike and…my advice: don’t put too much money into it. Save up for a better ride. Check out the it’s reviews here on Singletracks– they’re full of complaints of the thing falling apart. Yet it still has a high rating 😏

Bottom line is it’s a wal-mart quality bike. So even if you spend a lot of time tinkering with it, it’ll probably never perform really well.

BUT – it could be just enough to get you hooked on the sport. Or it might suck so much you never want to ride again 😆

(it weighs 38lbs!!!!!!!!!!)

"Forge04" wrote

Okay, how involved is this process? Any special tools needed? Or should I take it into the local shop? And thanks for the help ya’ll.

No special tools needed but you do have to pay attention to the way you take it apart to make sure it goes back the same way. All the tools you need should be in your multitool…
      Had the same problem with the mechanicals that came on my GT avy.. Take’em apart clean’em and they should be working just fine. They get a lot of gunk build up

I really appreciate the info guys. Seriously. I think I’ll take it into Bike Tech either tomorrow or Friday to be ready for the weekend and the week of PT 😃 Trails!

And honestly, I woulda bought a better ride, but my budget was under $100. 😕

So I’m going to make do with what I have. Ignorance is bliss after all 😄

Took it to Bike Tech last weekend and they found the problem . . .

Spring in the caliper was installed incorrectly.

Backwords to be more precise.

This would be why the actuation lever refused to spring back to it’s original position.

Oh well!

Started to have a head cold yesterday so the wife wouldn’t let me ride for PT.

Tomorrow I’m installing a new engine in a Humvee from 0630 til who knows when.

Hopefully Thursday I’ll be able to ride!

Yea!!!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.