potential new 19 mile trail near Robbinsville, NC

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I’m new to this so if I screw up forgive me this time. My name is Dale Wiggins and I and some others have been working with USFS to open a 19 mile trail that was constructed in 1998-1999 near Robbinsville, NC and was never allowed to be used by the USFS Ranger at the time. This trail was funded by Graham County Travel and Tourism and NC Parks and Recreation. Why is a long story and boring but it happened. We are awaiting word that the USFS Statewide Trail Study has been completed and for the formation of a biking club that is willing to take on the care of this trail once opened. Anyone interested please contact me at [email protected]. Please, serious offers only. Our current USFS District Ranger Lauren Stull has been very positive and wants to help but she wants it to be done right and for a plan to be in place before trail re-construction and use begins. If you live in western NC and want to be a part of this new trail or want some info let me know.

I am in over in east NC, but that sounds like a really good deal. I hope you have an easy time setting it. If there is anything that can be done for a distance let me.

This isn’t too far from Tsali which has me wondering: who maintains the Tsali trails?

Robbinsville is in a beautiful area for sure so this MTB trail should be killer. Camped at Horse Cove last spring and it was amazing.

This new trail was originally constructed in response to a survey done of Tsali users in 1996-1998 I believe. It was and is to be known as the Santeetlah Trail because a good part of the length runs parallel with the shoreline of Santeetlah Lake. It starts out along the Big Snowbird Creek channel of the lake and winds around to the West Buffalo Creek channel and then hits the Santeetlah Creek channel and connects to a road known locally as the Farley Cove Road and comes back into the Horse Cove road just before the Rattler Ford Campground which is just before Horse Cove and the turn-off to Joyce Kilmer Forest. It will be a beautiful ride and there are plans to develop amenities along the trail and there are now primitive campsites on part of the track. I’m not sure who does Tsali but at one time NOC was a big supporter and user of Tsali and co-sponsored annual events there with Subaru. You may know more about that than I do. Thanks for the inquiry. It looks as though once the USFS statewide trail study is done that all future trail construction and current use trails will have to have outside sources for majority maintenance due to continued budget cuts to USFS by Congress. Wish us luck, it’s been a long time coming.

"hairbear" wrote

I’m not sure who does Tsali but at one time NOC was a big supporter and user of Tsali and co-sponsored annual events there with Subaru.

This seems to still be the case. NOC and private users are the primary keepers of the Tsali system.

"schwim" wrote

This seems to still be the case. NOC and private users are the primary keepers of the Tsali system.

Interesting. I remember hearing that some of the race promoters who use the system for events also help maintain the trails, though perhaps just monetarily.

Any chance of getting the NOC and other Tsali supporters to sign on for this new system too? Robbinsville is more of a haul from the NOC but honestly you can’t beat the scenery of Lake Santeetlah and Joyce Kilmer. Plus that area isn’t as remote as Fontana Village where there seem to be lots of events and trail support (though I believe the Fontana trails on private land).

This is great news! If/when you get it open, I’ll definitely drive up there and ride it 😀

"trek7k" wrote

[quote="schwim":35hrduy4]This seems to still be the case. NOC and private users are the primary keepers of the Tsali system.

Interesting. I remember hearing that some of the race promoters who use the system for events also help maintain the trails, though perhaps just monetarily.
      [/quote:35hrduy4]

Aside from the occasional weather related travesty, I am a firm believer that races are good for trails. Many would see little use or maintenance if races were not run on them.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="trek7k":24ux7i49][quote="schwim":24ux7i49]This seems to still be the case. NOC and private users are the primary keepers of the Tsali system.

[/quote:24ux7i49]

Aside from the occasional weather related travesty, I am a firm believer that races are good for trails. Many would see little use or maintenance if races were not run on them.[/quote:24ux7i49]

+1

The organizer of the only race on my local trail system is also one of the main guys spearheading the trail maintenance effort.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="trek7k":2v5mvgtg][quote="schwim":2v5mvgtg]This seems to still be the case. NOC and private users are the primary keepers of the Tsali system.

[/quote:2v5mvgtg]

Aside from the occasional weather related travesty, I am a firm believer that races are good for trails. Many would see little use or maintenance if races were not run on them.[/quote:2v5mvgtg]

Completely agreed.
      The "company" (2-3 guys) that maintained my old local trails were also the folks that put on the races there. They took the trail system that was there (about 1-2 miles) and turned it into 7+ miles of singletrack over the years.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.