Possible to go from v-bakes to disc brakes on 98 Trek 950

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Possible to go from v-bakes to disc brakes on 98 Trek 950

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am wondering if it is possible to go from v-brakes to disc brakes on a 98 Trek 950 singletrack? Right now I have the stock rims on it. I am figuring I would most likely have to get new rims. Any suggestions on disc brakes, rims, and tires?

What does the chainstay on the left side of your bike look like? Some of the older Trek models have mounts built into the frame for disc brakes but normally the older ones aren’t a standard post mount or IS mount. Even if it does not have any mounts for the frame, if the rear dropout on the left side of the bike is completely flat, you may be able to get one of the adapters that various companies sell. Take a pic of your chainstay on the left side and we can probably tell you whether or not discs are a possibility. Even if you can’t put them on the rear, you could always go with the "mullet" setup, discs in the front and v brakes in the rear.

I will take a pic today.

need to see both sides of the dropout so it might take 2 shots.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.