Panel at UC Santa Cruz to address illegal mountain biking

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Panel at UC Santa Cruz to address illegal mountain biking

Tagged: ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      SANTA CRUZ — UC Santa Cruz’s upper campus is home to world-famous mountain biking trails. The problem is they aren’t legal.

Biking is allowed on campus fire roads, but single-track trails are off-limits. Despite the ban, the trails attract an estimated 1,000 riders per week, said Drew Perkins, trail officer for Mountain Bikers of Santa Cruz, an advocacy group.

Perkins will be part of a panel of bikers and UCSC students, faculty and staff to discuss trail use and environmental impacts at 6 p.m. Wednesday at the Stevenson Event Center at UCSC’s Stevenson College.

UCSC has done little to enforce the rule. However, the trails connect to Henry Cowell State Park and Pogonip, where single-track biking is largely illegal, and riders have been ticketed along Highway 9, Perkins said.

The illegal status prevents trail maintenance, which increases bikers’ environmental impact. For example, when a tree falls across a trail, instead of clearing the path, bikers create another route, he said.

Read more here: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/santac … l-mountain

"For example, when a tree falls across a trail, instead of clearing the path, bikers create another route, he said."

Bastards!

You see this?

It was created when a biker went around a fallen tree.

Alternate routes. It’s no laughing matter.

Posted via Tapatalk while doing 60 in my car and staring at my phone.

"schwim" wrote

You see this?

It was created when a biker went around a fallen tree.

Alternate routes. It’s no laughing matter.

Posted via Tapatalk while doing 60 in my car and staring at my phone.

😆 😆 😆

Bikes aren’t allowed in California because–erosion, something something, science, something something.

And then there is the problem of bikers that can’t wait for the trees to fall.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Bikes aren’t allowed in California because–erosion, something something, science, something something.

True!

Don’t forget in California bikes might endanger the one eyed hairy tree turtle…

"gar29" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":tjhp6qar]Bikes aren’t allowed in California because–erosion, something something, science, something something.

True!

Don’t forget in California bikes might endanger the one eyed hairy tree turtle…[/quote:tjhp6qar]

😆 😆 That too!

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="gar29":3bmbhsk6][quote="mtbgreg1":3bmbhsk6]Bikes aren’t allowed in California because–erosion, something something, science, something something.

True!

Don’t forget in California bikes might endanger the one eyed hairy tree turtle…[/quote:3bmbhsk6]

😆 😆 That too![/quote:3bmbhsk6]
      Don’t laugh, they town I work in, Davis, CA, is famous for the Davis Toad Tunnel built to keep toads from being smooshed as they crossed the road!

On a good note, Davis is one of the top small cycling cities and has the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame.

"gar29" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":3aba0ki0][quote="gar29":3aba0ki0]

True!

Don’t forget in California bikes might endanger the one eyed hairy tree turtle…

😆 😆 That too![/quote:3aba0ki0]
      Don’t laugh, they town I work in, Davis, CA, is famous for the Davis Toad Tunnel built to keep toads from being smooshed as they crossed the road!

On a good note, Davis is one of the top small cycling cities and has the United States Bicycling Hall of Fame.[/quote:3aba0ki0]

Oh, now I’m [i:3aba0ki0]really[/i:3aba0ki0] laughing! 😆 😆

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.