out of breath

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Not a newby, but not the most seasoned either! at times, seems to take forever to catch my second wind and enjoy my ride! I’m 6’2" and 228 lbs and in fairly good shape for my age of 46. any suggestions out there to increase my wind/stamina? thanks

"choctawken" wrote

Not a newby, but not the most seasoned either! at times, seems to take forever to catch my second wind and enjoy my ride! I’m 6’2" and 228 lbs and in fairly good shape for my age of 46. any suggestions out there to increase my wind/stamina? thanks

Sounds like you’re going out too hard too early, without a good warm up.

It will sometimes take me a good 20 or 30mins of riding to get really warmed up and settled into a groove. So if I go too hard too early, I’ll have like a mini-bonk where I fee like crap and slow down. Then once my heart rate comes back down, and all the muscles are fully warmed up and ready, I can pick the pace back up and keep it there for a while, and feel good too.

Sounds like great advice!! And you hit it on the head, I’m not warming up long enough. I will try this next time out and see how it goes! Thanks

My home trails are mainly tight without much flat out cranking, so I like to park a few miles away and ride to the trailhead to get warmed up prior to getting into the trails. Also, don’t quit riding when you are out of breath, just slow down until your heart rate slows back down and you will feel better.

Thanks for all the advice!! Will keep on riding! 😃

If you have any paved trails that connect to the trail you’re looking for, ride that trail on the way. I’ve been doing that when I go out for a ride and it makes for a great warmup

I was just like you. Out of breath fast. Warming up is definitely the best way to go. Although, if you have a little extra cash, you might want to pick up a spin bike and a heart rate monitor. Spin some intervals when you can’t get to the trails. You’ll be amazed what it will do for endurance. 😃

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.