newcomer

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

hey everyone. thought i would stop in and introduce myself. I am new to mtb. ive only been doing it for a couple of months but i am absolutely loving it. all day long i cant wait to get off work so that i can ride..I am riding a 2008 specialized hrxc. Its a beginners bike but it works great for now since my abilities are limited. I hope that i can learn alot from the people on here and also hope to find some people to ride with since i am mostly riding solo right now. Anyways im glad i found this site and hope to learn alot here.

Welcome to SingleTracks kd. You pick a great sport to get into. It is rather addictive though. I have been riding for two years now and I have been getting strong all along. My endurance has spiked considerably this summer because I have been riding 4 to 5 times a week. Every now and then I can squeak in number 6 but that is an unusual week. Not only does the riding get addictive, which is good, but the spending addiction can be even worse. I have a wish list that you would not believe but have found that I would rather ride than spend all my bill and gas money on accessories that I can live without.

If you have trails that a lot of people ride it will be easy to find riding friends. Just ask riders at the trail heads if they mind if you tag along for the ride. I have met people this way and we now meet for rides from time to time. Just make sure you ask about there riding skills and speed. Being a beginner you would not want to try and ride with someone training for a race or is so much faster than you that he is always having to wait long periods of time at intersections. I always try to find someone that is just a little faster which makes me want to try harder to keep up. I have also be working with my best friend since first grade and helping him get into mountain biking. I do a lot of doubling back so that I do not leave him behind when I take him to trails that he is not familiar with. Some days this get really annoying since I just want to keep my rhythm but I can see him improving daily even though he can’t and I know we will be riding close in a pack soon. At least by next summer anyways then the investment will pay off for me as well as my buddy.

Hope this helps a little and just remember that you can become a stronger rider by reading tips which are an excellent source for improving your riding skills but nothing will make you a stronger and faster rider than getting on the bike and turning your cranks. So get out there and ride as much as possible.

You will get good advice from this site when asking questions. So welcome and be sure to promote the site whenever possible.

Welcome to the best sport of all time. As racers and bike soothsayers have been saying to me for years, ride with other people. You will learn 10 times as much as on your own, and you will learn how to handle technical obstacles. They will also make you want to expand your comfort zone to fit in. Its good to try new things. Have fun and be safe.

Welcome to the uh – obsession. Glad to see you are loving it. I rode my first 2 years mostly solo. No regrets on that. Hooked up with a more experienced (and patient) rider after that that helped me a lot on technique, weight reduction, and bike advise. We ride together once a week. I still ride mostly solo due to riding schedule and wanting to ride right when I want to (my lack of patience). Either way – it’s all good, just keep riding. Eventually you will find others to hook up with that can challenge and push you a little bit.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.