Newbie Here….Please HELP!!!

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

I am interested in getting into biking. For the time being, I plan on riding to work and back (approx. 10 miles one way). And maybe the occasional afternoon work out. I am in fairly good shape. I run and swim frequently, and biking just seems like it would be fun to do instead of beatin’ the concrete as much as I do.

I am looking to purchase a mountain bike of some sort. Most of my riding will be on dirt trails next to the road (going over curbs non-stop) so I didnt think the road bike would be a wise choice. However, I would say 25-50% of my riding will be on asphalt.

Here is what I can tell you……

5’11
      202 lbs
      I have about 500.00 to spend.
      Live in Fayetteville, NC

I dont know what brand bike to lean towards, what size, what kind of tires, I mean…..I dont know sh*#.

Please give me some advice! Even if its to go to my local Wal Mart and buy a Huffy. I dont care. Just please help, all advice is appreciated!

For most work commutes I would recommend you try more of a road style bike vs. a mountain bike as they will be much easier to ride on the road. The gearing is better suited to road riding, the bikes are lighter, the frames are stiffer (making for easier pedaling on smooth surfaces), and the wheels are skinnier and lighter making for less rolling resistance.

In your case, however, it sounds like the road bike would not be the best choice because the amount of time you say you will be spending on dirt trails. You’ll probably still appreciate a lighter frame bike than your typical full suspension trail bike, though. Many companies make "commuter" bikes that are basically a lightweight version of a mountain bike and come with skinnier tires. You can find them with and without a front fork with a shock depending on whether or not you want a little extra absorbtion of bumps. Wheels will range from 26", 29", to 700c (road bike size). The larger the wheel, typically the smoother rolling it is, but the 700c is usually a very narrow rim that seats smaller road style tires that won’t take much offroad abuse. There are hybrid specific tires made by a lot of different companies out there that will allow you to still get some traction on smooth dirt trails but minimize most of the rolling resistance you would experience with a traditional deep tread mountain bike tire. The Kenda Komfort is a decent example of such a tire.

I have an old rigid Trek 820 that I converted to a single speed commuter bike and it works REALLY well. A quick change of tires, pedals, and some lights was all it really took. Since it was originally a mountain bike frame rather than a roadbike frame, I’m not afraid to take her off-road on smoother trails either when I find a short cut. In fact, if you can find a relatively cheap and light mountain bike frame, they can make great commuter bikes that still are able to handle some trail work. Often times you can use almost all the old components on them as well which saves even more $$.

Marin and Trek are the first two companies that pop in my head for commuters or hybrid style bikes. You will probably find that most of their models are listed above $500 MSRP but go to your local bike shop (LBS) and check out their selection before you ignore them all together just because of the price tag. The new 2009 lines are rolling in and there are great deals on 2008 and older models. Performance bike retail stores usually have a pretty large selection of bikes as well but they are the Walmart of bike stores so don’t expect the same level of knowledge or customer service as a regular LBS. Like Walmart, though, they can have some really good deals. Let the guys at your LBS know you are browsing to get an idea of the models available and they will show you around. Most good places will even fit you when you let them know you are a first timer so you will have an idea what frame size you should be looking at.

Take a look around and don’t be afraid to test ride a lot of models before you buy. Don’t get pressured to buy the first thing they bring to you or at the first place you go. Price should be an important buying point for you but don’t let it be the ONLY one. A good shop and employees that are knowledgable and spend the time to match you to a bike that fits your needs are priceless and will help you enjoy the purchase a LOT more. good luck with the purchase and enjoy.

Thank you both for all of your advice. I am still a bit timid to buy a brand new bike since I am a beginner. I just dont want to spend a lot of money on something just because it is the "perfect" bike for me. However, I have heard some really good things about a local bike shop here in my town, so I think I may go there and see if the guys can show me some lower end (price) bikes and get me properly fit on a frame. I haven’t been on a bike since I was a child, so all of this seems pretty exciting.

Also, does anyone know a good placeto buy used bikes? Is there a For Sale Forum on a sister web site or anything? If it turns out better for me to purchase a used bike, I would much rather buy from a respectable forum member instead of someone on e-bay or similar web site.

Thanks again for all of the advice. If anyone else reads my post, please feel free to chime in.

Error…scroll down…

Error…scroll down…

[quote="EZ-E"]Welcome Greene…
      I agree with many of the comments above – you definitely chose the right time of year to shop. I would strongly recommend a reputable local bike shop(LBS) in your area for your purchase, here are some reasons why:

1. Since you are starting out of the gate, you may not know as well what ‘feels right’ with the fit of a bike. A good bike shop will give you one-on-one service to fit you to a bike, this means they will pull a bike off the rack and put you on it on a spin trainer(back tire on a roller so you can sit on it and pedal in place). They will have you sit and pedal, stand and pedal, etc while they stand back and watch your posture and general body geometry/form to the size and settings of the bike. This will help you build the correct feel and technique right from the get-go.

2. Being local, the shop will be easy to get to for all maintenance and warranty needs. Going with a bike shop is like choosing a gym, a house, a spouse, etc! It should be considered the start of a long, mutually beneficial relationship. You want this to be a place where you are on a first name basis with the management. If you stick with the sport, you want this place to be the first place you choose to go to with regard to: the knowledge and attitude of the staff, the availability of merchandise/parts, do you think you may branch into other kinds of riding?(if so, do you see different types of bikes in the shop?).
      There are shop reviews on this website…with that said make sure to add your valuable comments on shops, trails, trail status(Open/Closed/Wet-Sketchy), take pictures of trails and post them, any local events upcoming for the trail, and Eat/Stay/Do "Things to Do" topics around the trail – all this can easily be updated on Singletracks.com for your fellow riders. The MORE we communicate helpful information for others, the better this online community serves us all!

3. Ask around and maybe some folks on this forum will comment on the best companies for warranty service. I’ve had great experiences with Trek for warranty repair/replacement for over 10yrs. Maybe some other folks can provide other options. You want to be confident that if you ever need to go back to your LBS where you bought your bike with a warranty issue THEY should take over from there with the manufacturer. This is a good question to ask when purchasing…don’t accept "Sure, there’s a warranty" ask for details of how they manage warranties.

4. This is the right time of the year to start. The 2008(and maybe some remaining 2007) models of bikes will start going on sale as the shops are preparing for the winter months(drop in demand) and they are moving inventory to make room for the 2009 bikes inbound. It’s also a great season to start riding, cooler(maybe drier) weather will make for easier commuting and better trail conditions. It will also be easier on you since building "ride stamina" is in a class all its own. Doesn’t matter how in shape you are…you will have some days where you are just hatin’ it – just starting, stop as soon as possible and don’t burn yourself on it. There will be another day and if it takes, you will start to get the cravings for some singletrack. Even after the worst ride, give it three days and most riders have "reset" and are ready to hit it again!

5. Given the riding I think I understand you’re planning on…I think a "hardtail" is the way to go. No suspension in the rear with a shock on the front. This will be keep cost and weight down. It will also be most conducive to all the riding conditions from commuting on the road to hitting some green and blue trails(see the "Mountain Bike Trail" statistics on this website – similar to ski slope ratings). The hardtail may also help with building your ride technique and learning the feel of the bike on the trail – full suspension and other upgrades(ie- clipless pedals) are things you can move to depending on what type of riding you decide you like best. A mountain bike’s handlebar configuration will also give you more control than a road bike starting out. You may also want to evaluate discussions regarding 26" vs 29" wheel diameters.

6. Consider some pannier packs if you’re going to be a serious commuter, may take the stress off carrying cargo on your person. There are pannier racks that quickly disconnect from your bike so you can hit the trails after work.

7. Don’t forget the extras…While you will save $$ going with the hardtail. You will still need to consider the helmet, shoes, water pack, gloves, clothes, accessories, etc.

Hope this info helps…have fun and if you would like trail recommendations or want to partner up with a fellow Singletracks rider, post up on the forum as I’m sure there are members in your area who’d be happy to show you the ropes. Happy trails! ~~~

One more thing…when you start looking for trails…Singletracks.com has an AWESOME trailfinder tool where you can find trails within a certain radius of your zip code. Here’s an example for Fayetteville, NC using a 50mi radius:

http://www.singletracks.com/php/zipcode … &radius=50

I use this all the time when someone asks me about trails in a particular area or if I’m traveling and looking for good trails to ride. Looks like there are a couple real easy trails and greenway types of rides in your area to cut your teeth on!

EZ-E……Awesome reply. I really appreciate the input. Due to my schedule this week, I have not been able to actually go to my local bike shop. However, I called them and they were extremely helpful over the telephone. They are trying to sell me on a Trek 3700. The price is well within my budget and it seems like a very good beginner hard tail. Anyways, I will keep everything posted as I progress through my new hobby and get I will definately get some pics up of the bike as soon as it is purchased.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Greene

Defining what an adventure sport is can be a difficult undertaking because the term refers to a wide variety of activities. These activities include everything from extremely dangerous, life-risking sports to more common traveling activities, such as scuba diving. An activity doesn’t have to risk the participant’s life in order to be classified as an adventure sport, but, in all seriousness, it helps. bungee jumping, skydiving, BASE jumping and cliff diving all fall on the extremely dangerous end of the adventure sports spectrum.
      ————-
      albertjames
      Used Cars

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.