Newbie at 52

Tagged: ,

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Hello! My name is Perry and I just joined Singletracks Pro and signed up for this forum. I’m old as hell, 52, and recently purchased two mountain bikes for myself and my daughter. A couple of guys at work got me interested in biking a few months ago and I decided to give it a go to get in shape. My first ride consisted of thirty minutes at some local trails. Within the first five minutes, I came across a huge hill and being an old motorcycle enduro rider, I stared at the hill with fire in my eyes. Well, my age and inexperience shined through as I flew over the hill, hit a tree and flipped over on my back. A week later, after a lot of pain, my doc informed me that I broke a rib from my Evil Knievel stunt. Although now I’m taking it relatively slow, I’m loving the trails. Yesterday I rode some harder trails and did seven miles in a little over an hour. Being out of shape it just about killed me but now since I made it through, I’m ready for another go at it. I’ve also joined a local mtb group and I’m excited about the events that they offer. Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and let everyone know that I’m looking forward to a great "new to me" hobby!

Well, we’re glad to have you but would all prefer if you stayed healthy enough to ride… so take it easy as you’re starting out. Lol.
      The fitness will come with more riding so challenge yourself within reason. The most common comment I hear from motocross guys converting to MTB is how much harder it is to compensate for a mistake when the only power you have is in your legs.

Devin, you are 100% correct. I keep trying to throttle through turns, lol! Turns out the "hill" I came upon was dug out by some BMX riders to work on their jumps. I learned a painful lesson and I am taking it slowly knowing the trails will always be there waiting on me. Thanks for the response!

Old as hell? Well then I guess I am too! I’m 54 and just got serious about mountain biking last year(did it back in my 20’s a little bit, but not much). Previously, I was a roadie, but I actually sold my road bike after getting totally hooked on MTB’ing (I do not miss riding in traffic one bit). I get out 2-3 times a week and it is the most fun I’ve had in ages, and the workout is fantastic and really clears your head.
      One of the best things I did was take a skills class – it improved my riding and confidence instantly.

canyon333, thanks for the inspiring words! I love riding the trails too but I’m so out of shape cardio wise that it’s very challenging for me. I can only get better though. I’m going to look into some skills classes like you’ve suggested and I’ve started some interval training on my elliptical when I can’t make the trails. Thanks for the response!

Seems to me you’re right in the median age for new riders, believe it or not. That’s purely unscientific, but most people that I’ve seen getting into the sport lately seem to be be between 35-55. Mid-life crisis? Able to afford a bike? Little of both? Who knows! All that matters is getting out and having fun and staying healthy at that "advanced" age 😆 Sorry, couldn’t resist that last part, as I’m a relatively young 45 year old.

gar29, you’ve got a point there! I can tell you that although I’m out of shape and my local trails kill me, I do feel like a kid again while I’m out there! Nothing but great thoughts!

I am 51, and I have been mountain biking off and on for around 18 years. I still remember doing my first few singletrack rides. I had to stop 5 or 6 times on the trail to catch my breath. By the end of that single beginner trail, I was gasping for air, sitting on the floor, and seeing stars. I did not let that discourage me and continued riding on a regular basis. I immediately noticed huge gains in my skills and my cardio. By the end of that first season, I was doing 2 or 3 beginner trails in a row every trip without the stars. 😆

Year after year I keep pushing myself a bit further along in skill and fitness levels. I also try to work out during the off-season more so that I do not loose my fitness levels for those months away from the trails.

While I certainly do not consider myself to be at true expert level, I really can now truly enjoy most intermediate level trails, their thrill, fun, and technical challenges, along with all of the health benefits that also go along with them. I have tried some expert level trails and I do have to admit that some of the jumps, big drops, crazy rough boulder-strewn terrain, long skinny rides, and hellacious climbs are overwhelming for me. By choice, I actually prefer beginner and intermediate trails.

So keep at it and enjoy the process of improving your mountain biking skills and cardio. It so well worth it and fun.

Thank you all for this inspiring thread. I’m in the over 50 group as well (just barely, and I can’t believe that, as a woman, I’m even admitting that!). I’m just getting back into MTB after not having done it for a few years. I’m glad to hear that with time and practice it gets easier. Seems to take forever though. I see a lot if middle aged men on the trail but not too many women!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Lucinda, your post is very inspiring as well! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and good luck out on the trails! Blundar, thank you for those very inspiring words! It’s great to hear that my growing pains are more or less normal. I can’t wait to get to a point in my progress that I ‘m happy with!!

Welcome……….. It doesn’t take long to get hooked. I think you will find that it will become less of a "hobby" and more of a passion. I am soon to be 43 and I am one of the younger ones in one of my riding groups. Most are mid 50’s with a few in there upper 60’s. I ride with another group of guys that I am one of the oldest. That’s the beauty of our sport, young and old and everywhere in between, there is fun to be had regardless of age. Enjoy, your new found soon to be "passion" !!

Hi and welcome! I am 57 and started in Jan this year. Went crazy and bought a semi high end bike but man is it a fun ride! I now am sidelined with a back injury. I do love the sport! I have broken 2 ribs and my back so far. My family thinks I have lost it! I also have a real nice roadie that I am riding at this time. Have a daughter who is a tri-athlete and she was amazed how fast I have gotten on the Cervelo roadie.Have found that riding both really has helped me to get into shape. I really enjoy both styles of riding. Having both for me is great and they are both the kind of bike that say to you "hey lets go!" Should be able to ride the mtb in another 3-5 months and I can’t wait. Like Gar said Not so Crazy! Enjoy !
      Bill

Just don’t let fishboy scare you with his tales of injuries….

"Devin_P" wrote

Just don’t let fishboy scare you with his tales of injuries….

Sorry man, not trying to scare you! You may be a better rider than me! 😆 Just saying this is what happened to me and I still love it. Keep it slow at first and don’t get ahead of your skills.(That’s what I did)! I just try to get back up and do some more riding. Injury is all inclusive with MTB I think most of you will agree.

Welcome Perry! Sounds like you’re in great company age wise. I’m 57 myself and love to be able to enjoy shredding trail when I travel. You’ve picked a healthy activity (despite the occasional injury) to get involved with. Keep at it and it can take you places you can hardly believe.

I started young. 45. There does seam to be something that gets to us old guys. I’ve broken ribs more then twice, and my collar bone, messed up fingers. Welcome. keep it safe, maybe get some pads. This is the best sport I’ve ever had. Hope it keeps you young and healthy.

I’m also a newbie…..at 54 I’ve now been riding about 10 months, but I had a pretty bad crash within the first month of riding…. and I learned like you did the trails will be here tomorrow….so just go at your on pace. Also, I now ride hard as hell on the uphills, and take it easy on the downhills. I figure I’m out here to get in shape, and if you crash going uphill…It’s usually better as your going a whole lot slower. I now ride 20 miles or more regularly on the weekends…..but when I’m through…I’m whipped 😃 ….and it hurts so good!

AMEN Autocrat!

Hello , nice to s ee im not the only novice old guy out there. I will be 56 in April and been riding the trails for the last few years. Mainly Allumuchy area which I understand is pretty challenging for anyone. Now I know why I thih nk im so out of shape all the time. I think my favorite is the canal trial which runs along morris canal area.
      I dislocated my finger right before dark going througt a stream with a rock that jumped out and made me tumble. so yes u can get hurt out there. I am looking for a club or riders to hook up with – I like ridding with others and my sons in their 20’s are out west so a good part of the year and pretty much on a different level. any advise for a local club I could hook up with
      thanks Pat A

Hello , nice to s ee im not the only novice old guy out there. I will be 56 in April and been riding the trails for the last few years. Mainly Allumuchy area which I understand is pretty challenging for anyone. Now I know why I thih nk im so out of shape all the time. I think my favorite is the canal trial which runs along morris canal area.
      I dislocated my finger right before dark going througt a stream with a rock that jumped out and made me tumble. so yes u can get hurt out there. I am looking for a club or riders to hook up with – I like ridding with others and my sons in their 20’s are out west so a good part of the year and pretty much on a different level. any advise for a local club I could hook up with
      thanks Pat A

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.