New Toy for me – Fiskars 32 inch lopers

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Like a kid with a new toy, looking forward to trying these out.

The short lopers are awesome because they will fit in a hydration pack. Getting older and have had some recent shoulder issues so I thought the long set would be easier on the body. 3x easier cutting sounds good too. The little lopers do the job but require elbow grease by the tub. 😆 We have 6-7 miles left of Patterson mountain to clear and as soon as I am healthy enough I will be ready to hit it. 😀 Mountain laurel and bear oak your days are numbered.😀

Wow, I’m envious of your lopers … how well does that saw work for you? I’d like the longer blade of yours but I think mine is a bit beefier(its the enclosed handle type). Do you ever have issues with the blade buckling on larger trunks?

"schwim" wrote

Wow, I’m envious of your lopers … how well does that saw work for you? I’d like the longer blade of yours but I think mine is a bit beefier(its the enclosed handle type). Do you ever have issues with the blade buckling on larger trunks?

I’ll let you know how the lopers work after a test run or two.

That folding saw is the Silky Big Boy. It is pricey but I think it is worth it. Our club bought a couple of them.
      http://www.sherrilltree.com/Professiona … 0-XL-Teeth

It is great for stuff up to 4-5 inches although I have probably cut stuff up to maybe 8 inches diameter. No issues with it buckling. Mine has the medium teeth I think the next time I would get the coarser tooth version.

Its great that you think of them as toys. Most of our club members refer to them as a four letter word. WORK. Glad to see someone besides me that loves trail work. If no one has mentioned it, thanks for all your hard work. 😃 All joking aside, there are 4 or 5 dedicated guys in the group that love it as much as I do.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Like a kid with a new toy, looking forward to trying these out.

The short lopers are awesome because they will fit in a hydration pack. Getting older and have had some recent shoulder issues so I thought the long set would be easier on the body. 3x easier cutting sounds good too. The little lopers do the job but require elbow grease by the tub. 😆 We have 6-7 miles left of Patterson mountain to clear and as soon as I am healthy enough I will be ready to hit it. 😀 Mountain laurel and bear oak your days are numbered.😀

CCR, where did you get these specific tools at? Thanks in advance!

"SCHucker" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":sg2vykkh]Like a kid with a new toy, looking forward to trying these out.

CCR, where did you get these specific tools at? Thanks in advance![/quote:sg2vykkh]

The hand saw
      The 32 inch lopers
      http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9154-Powe … B00004SD74
      The short lopers – Home Depot, normally in stock for about $15, I have about 6 pair just in case I can convince someones to come out for a trail workday
      Another trail tool that I can’t do without – Stihl 180 14 inch chainsaw – I can bungy strap it on a rack on the back of my bike and it will cut almost everything my much heavier 16 inch husqvarna will cut.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Another trail tool that I can’t do without – Stihl 180 14 inch chainsaw – I can bungy strap it on a rack on the back of my bike and it will cut almost everything my much heavier 16 inch husqvarna will cut.

On public trails? They will put you under the jail here if they catch you with a motorized tool out in the woods.

I will have to take a picture, but I just bought a sweet set of composite folding loppers from a local flea market! They are awesome and fold up so there are no exposed metal edges to catch on anything in a pack!!!

Also, around my parts you can use a chainsaw on public trails if you are USFS certified…

"schwim" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":39moit2k]Another trail tool that I can’t do without – Stihl 180 14 inch chainsaw – I can bungy strap it on a rack on the back of my bike and it will cut almost everything my much heavier 16 inch husqvarna will cut.

On public trails? They will put you under the jail here if they catch you with a motorized tool out in the woods.[/quote:39moit2k]
      Like Stl Greaser said, its all good if you are chainsaw certified (I am). Certification is a pain in the ass, but the only way you can legally do the job.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

The hand saw
      The 32 inch lopers
      http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-9154-Powe … B00004SD74
      The short lopers – Home Depot, normally in stock for about $15, I have about 6 pair just in case I can convince someones to come out for a trail workday

Thank you CCR! 😃

The 32 inch lopers work as promised. Much easier on my shoulders than the short ones. An added benefit to the length is you don’t have to bend over as far for stuff close to the ground or reach up as high for tree branches. The only down side is the extra length makes them awkward to carry. I was able to strap mine in a small pack but it always felt like they were about to fall out. Still, a +1. 😃

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.