New to MTB

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all,

Been looking at getting into MTB’ing all winter and am about ready to make a purchase. I have my eyes set on a Trek 3900 to start out and see how I do.

I have been lurking on here for a little bit and figured I should jump in and say hello.

I’m glad to see that the 3900’s a great for starting.

Thank you!

Welcome Aboard XbiOs. You’ll have a blast. Its addictive, but it is a lot of fun.

the 3900 is great i have one, its what i started on and and am still on i’ve had mine for around a year and have 2500mi on it and i still ride it everyday.

but if you get the disc brake model upgrade the promax garbage to Avid bb7’s i got mine at jensonUSA.com for $100.93 shipped, they make a world of difference.

im pretty heavy so the fork is really weak to me, it either bottoms out or is totally immobile…thats my next upgrade.

but the bike is a really nice base to start on, and you cant beat the trek warranty, my LBS has fixed every problem i’ve had with it for free! and just put it under the Trek warranty, not saying much ever goes wrong but if it does youre covered.

So we took the plunge today.

I did some flip-flopping and research. I picked up a Specialized Hardrock and the wife got a GT Laguna (she was more concerned of the color).

We have some great paved trails minutes from the house and looks like lots of nice off-road trails in Central IL.

Looking forward to a good year!

"xbi0s" wrote

So we took the plunge today.

I did some flip-flopping and research. I picked up a Specialized Hardrock and the wife got a GT Laguna (she was more concerned of the color).

We have some great paved trails minutes from the house and looks like lots of nice off-road trails in Central IL.

Looking forward to a good year!

congrats on the bikes man! be sure to keep posting on here and telling us how the learning curve goes.

i’ve heard lots of good things about the hardrock. that bike has been time-tested over the years, and is a winner as an entry-level ride.

I hope you got the hardrock sport, the base model doesnt have double walled rims and they tend to bend really easy…

Actually got the base model. Don’t know how extreme I will get into this over the summer.

If this is anything like my motorcycle or cars… I will be dropping bills on upgrades… The funnest part besides actually riding! =)

"xbi0s" wrote

Actually got the base model. Don’t know how extreme I will get into this over the summer.

If this is anything like my motorcycle or cars… I will be dropping bills on upgrades… The funnest part besides actually riding! =)

one of the biggest issues i had with my first bike is that i tacoed rims/wheels all the time. it wasn’t good… i went through about 3-4 wheels in one summer. I’ve got a decent pair on my current bike right now, and they have held up much better.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="Goo":38svp5pk]i’ve heard lots of good things about the hardrock. that bike has been time-tested over the years, and is a winner as an entry-level ride.

Those are entry-level plus bro. [/quote:38svp5pk]

yeh man that’s what i was saying. i’ve heard lots of good things.

The Hardrock is a good entry level bike. I have the Sport as my backup bike. That frame is pretty tough 😀 Congratulations on making the plunge. 😃

congrats on the bike man! you will love it and Specialized is a great company that stands behind their products. I have a 2010 P1 All Mountian and its a great bike but i have replaced the rims and fork to much stronger and lighter parts to handle my riding style

hell yea the P1 is sick i love mine and chili pepper i just read your sig and it upset me i cant use mine u have the same saying u have on every forum in my sig

I refuse to tip toe through life to arrive safely at death

haha how did u know i was a Marine lol i cant remember if i posted that or not

So much for riding this week..

9-12" of snow and 30mph winds. Gotta love IL! =)

"xbi0s" wrote

So much for riding this week..

9-12" of snow and 30mph winds. Gotta love IL! =)

Yeah that sucks. We just got 30" of snow dumped on us a couple days ago and have another 12" coming tonight. I’ve been itching to get back out on the trail but now I have no idea when that will happen. I’m a little concerned because I have a XC race coming up in March and training indoors exclusively isn’t going to cut it.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.