New to Mountain Biking and looking to buy a bike–Advice app

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum New to Mountain Biking and looking to buy a bike–Advice app

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hi guys, I am a 19 year old girl trying to get into mountain biking. I live near Alum Creek trails in Ohio so I have great access to good trails. I have been looking for a used bike as I have a small budget due to college. I am looking for a bike that I can ride on the trails once or twice a week and weekends in addition to taking to campus as a commuter bike for a couple days a week. I am very athletic and want a good quality bike that will last me several years.

I recently came across a 2006 Trek 4300. I am 5’6" and the bike is 16". I understand I should try the bike out, and I will before I purchase it, but I was wondering if this will most likely be a good fit or not? I am upgrading from a Schwinn bike I had when I was younger that is too small, and I do not want to purchase a bike that will not be big enough.

Is this a good quality bike? I believe I can get it for $225. Is this a good deal?

Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

Heya 😀

In my very humble opinion, that bike is not worth the price you stated. It’s 8 year old technology and only sold for $325-$375 when new so you know that it was pretty low on the totem pole, in regards to it’s components even when it was new technology.

A very popular suggestion on this site when funds are that limited is to purchase an Airborne bike. Some assembly is required in exchange for the incredibly low price.

I have had good luck with Craigslist and ride two bikes that were both picked up at a great discount via that route.

Thank you for replying!!!

Craigslist is where I found that bike and where I continue to watch for a bike. Unfortunately, I have little knowledge on what is a good deal or not. I know I really like Trek bikes, I rode my brother’s on the trail last year and liked it a lot.

Would this be a better/worse choice?
      http://columbus.craigslist.org/bik/3842533088.html

Looks to be a higher end model, but older, so you’re trading one aspect for another.

The issue definitely isn’t the brand, as Treks are great bikes. The only thing I would worry about is the age of the components. If the bike was stored for most it’s life(not uncommon), then it’s like buying a new bike and I wouldn’t worry at all. If the bike looks like it has had some miles put on it, then I would walk away from it.

For the age of those bikes, I’d think $200 is the most I would go.

If you can afford $600 you can get a brand new Airborne Guardian that will out class all other bikes in that price range IMO. They are an Internet based company, however, they are located in Dayton (Centerville), OH which is not far from you. If you call them you can setup an appointment to stop by their office and they will let you borrow a loaner bike for the weekend.
      http://www.airbornebicycles.com/product … -29er.aspx

I purchased the Trek 6500 for $200. Looked to be in good shape and I liked the way it felt.
      Took it to my LBS this morning and was told it was a great bike and worth the money I paid for it. I’m happy and looking forward to riding. Thanks for all the advice guys!

Congrats on the bike!

I think you did well. Let us know what you think of your first ride!

"sharp23" wrote

I liked the way it felt.

That’s the key right there. If you like it, you’ll ride it. As you progress, you’re riding style and fit preference may evolve, but by then you’ll have enough miles under your belt to know for sure exactly what you want. In the meantime, 200 clams for a ride you’ll enjoy is a fantastic investment. Enjoy!

Thank you guys! This forum has been a wealth of information for me, and I appreciate all the advice and encouragement. I’m learning a lot just by reading through topics. I’ll keep you updated on how I like my bike once I get some time on the trails.
      I don’t know how I didn’t get involved in this sport sooner! Tons of fun!
      Thanks again for being so helpful! 😃

My brother and I almost always lament over not having started sooner. We console ourselves by figuring that we would have likely killed ourselves if we had started at an earlier age 😀

Hahaha that’s funny 😆 I ride dirtbikes also…Wayne National Forest, southern Ohio. I have an older brother who is a good rider, so trying to keep up with him.. I’m surprised I haven’t killed myself either or gotten seriously hurt yet. Mountain biking will likely turn into the same kind of competition 😀

Which btw, rode my "new" bike for the first time tonight on the trails and loved it. Rode Alum Creek ph1. I love having a bike that actually fits me! Now just to improve my riding skills to match what the bike is capable of…..

Yay for the first ride! 😃

My brother and I both sold our dirtbikes after getting into MTB. Once we realized how much we were enjoying ourselves, the maintenance, cost, ride preparation and hassle of transporting the bikes were no longer worth it to us. In the tight bar knocker trails that we’re used to here, we’re actually going faster on the MTBs than we were able to go on the motorcycles 😀

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.