Need help: Share your tips

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

What up players, we’re working on rolling out a new "how-to" section on singletracks and we need volunteers to help us test and get things started.

If you’re at all handy around the workstand or if you’re an advanced rider with mad skilz we’d love to have you on the team! Send me a PM if you’re interested and I’ll give you the low down…

Ahem, we’ve had a few responses so far but now I’m gonna call our experts out by name.

GreenGiant, Bombardier and EZ-E, how about sharing some of your superhuman MTB knowledge? I know all 3 of you have mad skilz…

I’m handy enough on the workstand to engineer a nice mess for my local bike shop to correct whatever I I’ve "fixed"….the saying about the anvil and a rubber mallet comes to mind! As in my Dad saying: "Son…you could F up an anvil with a rubber mallet" 😃 He’s always had colorful and imaginative tidbits which stick with me and give me a laugh to this day!
      Looking forward to plagiarizing some of those and maybe even freelancing a few to pass on to my kids.
      I have been able to get myself and a riding partner or two out of the sh*t mechanically from time-to-time when something on a bike went south – I’ve also had my share of saying "Yeah dude…you’re walkin’ that one out".

With respect to riding skills…I’m not one to take any 10-20ft drops(intentionally!) when I’m out on the trails. I’ve ridden for pretty much as long as you could buy a mountain bike in a shop before I could uh-legally drink – in fact I held a job for 3 weeks as a dishwasher just long enough to buy my first mountain bike – a neon yellow Nishiki Manitoba! To afford the new ride, I had to trade in my beloved Schwinn 20" that I used to race BMX and ride on the trails we built out in the woods. This was back when just about any bike trail we rode was "poaching"- we just didn’t know any better or much care!

With that being said, I am totally on-board with anything I can do to further advance the website and the cause. Just let me know – you have my email and I’d be interested in getting involved. Thanks for the consideration!

We’ve already created a few basic articles on a few topics that might be of interest to beginning riders:

– How to change a tire: Step by step instructions with photos and tips
      – How to jump a log: Includes a video demonstration of a sweet technique you’ll want to try next time you’re out on the trail

We’re looking for folks to help us create a dozen or so articles before the official launch. Here are some of the topics we’d like help with:

REPAIR
      How to:
      # Fix or replace your chain
      # Lube your drivetrain
      # Adjust your derailleur
      # Install a new headset
      # Replace a spoke

SKILLS
      # Clipless pedals
      # Cornering
      # Jumping
      # Track standing
      # Climbing

So if you know how to do any one of these things, just shoot me a PM and I’ll send you the page so you can get started. You don’t have to know everything, just help us get these articles started so others can expand on them later. You can also create articles on any topic you choose so don’t let this list limit your contributions!

I’m on it, Boss…..

Let me know what topics you want me to cover, and I’ll do my best.
      Actually, I’m getting ready to replace the cassette, chain, and chainrings on my Nomad, so I can take some "how-to" pictures for the article.

Sweet! Sending the info now…

There…..

My first article is done.

Here’s the link for everybody.

[u:1hai2x8v]Singletracks.com – "How-To Replace Your Cassette"[/u:1hai2x8v]

Sweet!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.