MTB Components

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

This post is mostly just an add on to Bombardier
      Common Mountainbike Acronyms & Terms. I think he did an outstanding job as to help tell us what this stuff all means! And seeing how I have some friends that are newbs to MTB, and myself not being anywhere near a pro, I’d like to kind of continue in the direction he was going.

Now keeping in mind that most of what is said here is coming from my mouth you may find some of it to be a little unclear, but I tried hard to make this and I hope you guys appreciate the effort I put into it, anyways without making you wait here is what I’ve composed.

Brake – Main way of slowing down, used for pretty much one reason, so you don’t die. Many types of brakes exist in the MTB world. Ranging from rim brakes, which could be V-brakes, U-brakes or a more uncommon type – the delta brakes, to disc brakes, and drum brakes.

Brake Lever – This component is usually located on both of the handlebar grips. By pulling you activate the brake system for either the front or rear section of the bicycle.

Crankset – Part of the drivetrain that rotates as you pedal, giving motion to the rear wheel of the bike by rotating the chain. It is made up of one or more chainrings (sprockets).

Frame – As the name suggests, this is the frame of the bike, without it, you don’t gotcha yourself a bike. Different size frames are built to fit different size people. Frames can be made out of magnesium, aluminum, bamboo, and also wood (you won’t be seeing too many MTB made out of the last two).

Front Derailleur – This part of the bike moves the chain from side to side in the front, there may be one or more adjustment screws that control the amount of lateral travel allowed.

Handlebar – A bar-like piece that controls the steering of the bike, also used to help balance yourself and hold your weight when doing tricks in the air for example.

Rear Derailleur – Very much similar to the front derailleur, the rear derailleur moves the rear part of the chain up and down the sprockets as well as any slack the chain has, you can adjust both features if you know what you are doing.

Rear Shock –The rear shock provides a smoother ride by absorbing the impact caused from rough parts on the trails, just make sure it is adjusted to your personal preference and make sure it is not going to bottom out on you.

Saddle – What we call the seat of the MTB.

Seatpost – An adjustable part of the bicycle that allows you to lower or raise the level at which you sit at, as a general rule you will want to have your leg slightly bent as it reaches the most bottom part of the pedal rotation. Of course it’s also how you feel comfortable riding.

Stem – The component on a bicycle that connects the handlebars to the steerer tube, could be a threadless stem, a quill stem, or even a stoker stem.

Wheel – Man made this in the caveman era or something like that, although on a more serious note, the wheel houses the spokes and should rotate without wobbling, if that is the case your wheel may need truing.

[i:3l55dmgj]*Image is property of Trek, I do not know this image, and I did not create or mend this image in anyway*[/i:3l55dmgj]

Bottom Bracket Shell – Is a section of the frame that houses the bottom bracket and is usually threaded, the bottom bracket shell connects the seat tube, down tube and chain stays. Providing strength and stiffness to the frameset.

Chain Stays — running near parallel to the chain, connecting the bottom bracket shell to the rear dropouts.Some model bikes have the rear derailleur cable routed partially along the down tube, and along the chain stay.

Down Tube — connects the head tube to the bottom bracket shell. On racing bicycles and some mountain and hybrid bikes, the derailleur cables run along the down tube, or inside the down tube.

Fork – The front steerable component of the frame set that is a piece of the frame that holds the wheel perpendicular to the ground. as well as it allows a means to connect the steering (handlebar and stem). Forks as classified as either rigid or telescoping. Most modern MTB bikes use a telescoping fork which can use a coil spring or an air spring to provide a means of supporting the riders weight. On some models there is also a means of controlling the motion of that fork. Usually a hydraulic dampening unit. The hydraulic portion will slow the motion of the telescoping fork by forcing fluid through small openings in a piston which divides the hydraulic unit.

Head Tube – Located at the front, it is the outer tube within which the steer tube pivots.
      The head tube holds the bearing cones, which allow the front fork steer tube to pivot freely. Presently there are two main sizes that are used. 1 1/8 steering tube size or 1 1/2 steering tube size..

Rear Derailleur Hanger –The rear derailleur fits into this part of the frame. Most bikes today have the hanger as a seperate cast aluminum unit allowing it to be replaced when damaged or bent.

Seat Stays – On hard tail mountain bikes the seat stays connect the seat tube to the rear dropouts. The seat tubes are used to impart stiffness and or some measure of flex to the frameset. Seat stays support the position of the chain stays.

Seat Tube – Holds the seatpost, which in turn supports the saddle. (see above on information for the two).

Steering tube (top of fork) – Being concealed by the Head Tube, the steerer is the upper part of the front fork in which the handlebar and the turning parts of the headset attach. Coming in two sizes 1 1/8 or 1 1/8 and either made of steel or aluminum. Now a days the steering tube is threadless. The stem is clamped to the steering tube.

Top Tube — The frame tube that runs near horizontal from the top of the head tube to the seat. In a traditional-geometry racing bicycle frame, the top tube is horizontal.

[i:2lyobs3x]*This image is property of Trek, I do not know this image, I did not create or mend this image*[/i:2lyobs3x]
      [i:2lyobs3x]
      Some information has been taken from other websites, and is not necessarily my own wording.[/i:2lyobs3x]

Indeed this is really informative and thanks for sharing. 😀

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.