Mountain biking across the country

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

What is the best spot in your home state?

I am planning on starting my trip at TSALI in North Carolina and ending in MOAB Utah. Im not actually mountain biking across the country, I am driving and stopping at many places along the way. If anyone can suggest a spot I would love to hear. Keep in mind I am trying to make progress toward moab along the way. I will also hit some spots on the way back. Anyways, I need some ideas and if you have an ideal loop from Atlanta, GA (actual starting point) to Moab and back let me know.

Thanks-Kyle

cjm

Colorado has a lot of variety. So it depends on your discipline and what time of year you plan to be coming though. Also how many days are you setting aside for Colorado. The gang here has put a few maps together of various places. While there is pretty good riding in Denver and C Springs, the two listed for Colorado, neither of them is the best Colorado has to offer.

cjm
      "cjm" wrote

Colorado has a lot of variety. So it depends on your discipline and what time of year you plan to be coming though. Also how many days are you setting aside for Colorado. The gang here has put a few maps together of various places. While there is pretty good riding in Denver and C Springs, the two listed for Colorado, neither of them is the best Colorado has to offer.

I am leaving in August and plan on doing Tsali, Raccoon Mt., and a couple others TBD on my way to Colorado and then Moab. I have made a sort of rough draft of my schedule and planned on hitting Co Springs for a couple days. If there is a spot that I must hit let me know. I would say my discipline is just trail riding (All mountain?). I love going fast and doing some downhill ish stuff. I am down for pretty much anything though. Thanks for the comments.

Hey Kyle – we’re in Decatur too – small world!

Tsali is a good place to start and I gotta believe there are good trails along the interstate corridor through Tennessee / Kentucky. Check out Land Between the Lakes for example. I haven’t ridden there myself but it sounds good.

It may make sense to make a *slight* detour to the north and hit Ray’s Indoor MTB in Cleveland (an IMBA Epic and probably the only time you’ll ride MTB indoors). Cleveland is probably less than 150 miles off I-70 which will be your main route into CO (plus it’s home to the Rock and Roll hall of fame).

In CO I recommend Red Rocks/Dakota ridge if you’re into DH stuff (plus it is within sight of I-70) in Denver. Colorado Springs has a number of great trails (including Jones Downhill) but it’s somewhat out of the way from I-70 and the Denver trails are just as good.

Past Denver you can stop off at one of the ski resorts – many have lift-serviced DH terrain open in summer. Winter Park has hundreds of miles of bike trails but I don’t know much about the summer lift system. I have ridden the lift-serviced terrain at Keystone, Telluride, and Beaver Creek – Keystone is probably the best of the 3 (and just 10 miles or so off I-70).

Next up, be sure to hit Fruita if you have time, then on to Moab.

You could take the southern route on the way back and hit Durango and Albuquerque – after that you’re back onto the plains. Along I-40 in Arkansas there are some low mountains – seems like another good place for MTB (though I don’t have any specific knowledge of the area).

All in all I’d say maximize your time out west because that’s where the trails are the best. You can always hit the midwest stuff on a shorter trip 😀

My suggestion for Co would be to hit Buffalo Creek in the Pine, CO area or Palmer Park in Co springs first, then head to Poncha Springs and do Monarch Crest (tops on the to-do list), heading west on US50 detour up to Crested Butte and hit Trail 401, back down and west on US50 to Fruita (Loma area) and do one or more of the loops at Kokopelli TH, then the last 1.5 hours on to Moab – where you’d be sure to hit Porcupine Rim (get a shuttle to start at Hazzard Co.) and Amasa Back.

As far as Moab is concerned, Slickrock is in the top 5 but not the best ride. Don’t get caught up in the famous = I have to do it .

Sounds like you’ve got an awesome summer planned out! I hope you tell us all about when you’re done!

Forks Area Trail System (FATS) for SC.

I appreciate all the help. Sounds like im gonna be spending a lot of my time in Colorado. I have only been there once and I was camping and 4X4 off-roading. I think the hardest part is gonna be figuring out the best route. Probably have to do some Colorado on the way there and some on the way back. I would love to ride that indoor track in Ohio, but I have to wonder if it is worth the extra driving time. I’ll have to do some research.

I will probably repost this again before I leave. If anyone wants to ride while I am in their territory pm me. Thanks again

definitely stop by crested butte if you are in colorado. don’t know if you are going as far north as wisconsin, but the best riding in the state, and probably most of the midwest, is at levis mounds http://www.singletracks.com/php/trail.php?id=1880

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.