Manitou Nixon Elite 115 to 145mm travel w/lockout????

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Manitou Nixon Elite 115 to 145mm travel w/lockout????

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have an ’06 145mm Nixon Super Intrinsic on my 5" FS. It’s a great fork. The seals are fantastic and the dampening system is perfect for the riding I do on the bike. The only complaint I could have is that I feel a little brake dive when really slamming down. It could be that I’m just not used to the new 203mm rotor up front and I’m lobster clawing the brake levers, but I find that running the air pressure at the higher end of the suggested spectrum fixes the problem pretty well without sacrificing small bump compliance. If you get the choice and have hubs that will work with it, GET the 20mm thru axle. The stiffness it provides over a regular quick release axle is like night and day. Rock gardens are a joy to ride through now.

cjm

How does Intrinsic compare to SPV? I have used SPV on a few different products and let’s just say I don’t like it. I still want more information in Intrinsic before I lay down any cash for a Manitou product.

Manitou has a couple of different dampening systems out there at this point. Current forks in their line use either TPC (twin piston chamber), Intrinsic, or Absolute Platform Dampening (basically a more customizable version of the old SPV and SPV evolves).

The only real experience I have with the old SPV system is on the rear shock of my FS. As a rear shock platform to reduce pedal bob, I thought it worked pretty well. From what I have read about it as a dampening system on a front shock, it was designed more for the XC crowd with smaller bumps and pedal bob being the main concern.

In my experience, the TPC dampening system is very compliant to bumps of the small AND medium category but on big drops it seems to ramp up too quickly at the end of the stroke to soak up the hit. It’s a REALLY good system for the seated rider on trails and pretty aggressive XC. Since it is soooo plush, standing and mashing the pedals creates some bob. But when seated, the bob is close to nonexistant.

I have the Intrinsic system on my AM ride. It’s designed more for the freeride/big hit rider than the XC rider. The intrinsic system makes the compression become firmer as the fork gets further into its travel. This prevents the feeling of bottoming out and makes it absorb big hits really well. It doesn’t incorporate a "platform" system to make the small bumps AS complaint as say the TPC or SPV systems, though. But, by no means are the small bumps a problem to roll over. Bombing downhills is a joy on this system and jumps are soaked right up. A bit more pedal bob when standing and mashing than the TPC system but still fun on epic rides, especially those with good downhill sections.

Without knowing the style of riding you plan to do with the fork, I can’t really make a suggestion to you just yet. Also, it might help to know what it was about the old SPV system that you didn’t like so I could make sure you didn’t buy a shock with the same properties.

cjm

I am replacing a 2007 Marz AM 1. More than likely it will go on Transition Preston. If not there, then my DH/FR hardtail. I ride the Preston on everything from back country pedal rides to the occasional day at the resorts (when I need to put my ego back in check). Right now I have my trusty 04 Super T on the Preston. The Super T works for most situations, but the head tube angle is a bit slack for steeper pedaling. Dropping some weight would nice, too.

SPV fails across the board. It lacks mid-range performance. I am not sure if it was the air springs or something in SPV, but they heated quickly and performance became unpredictable. I don’t care for pedal damping in forks, regardless who makes it. I would rather maintain traction in high speed jittery sections than gain some nominal performance when pedaling. Like you said, its a well designed XC product. I am not sure why they keep (or kept) trying to plug it in to longer travel applications.[/code]

Since you are doing a little of everything with the bike and you’re not big on the pedaling platform I think you might really like the feel of an Intrinsic shock.

"I would rather maintain traction in high speed jittery sections than gain some nominal performance when pedaling."

This is probably THE biggest difference that I noticed when I switched over to this shock. I aim [i:2ek5rvk3]towards[/i:2ek5rvk3] rock gardens now. I don’t do really big jumps but I’m not worried about this shock performing in those situations either. The biggest I’ve gone is about a 5/6ft drop and the fork sucks it up no problem. If it matters, I’m just under 200lbs with gear. Give it a try and see if you like it. If you are in GA I can let you try out my bike to give you an idea if you want.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.