Magellan Crossover GPS – Anyone?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I recently bought a Magellan Crossover GPS for use both on the road and on the trails. Overall it’s a great unit for the price (I paid $320). It has spoken road directions, marina stuff which I haven’t used, and outdoor features with some built in topo in some areas.

It’s got the maps showing roads, streams, parks, and more. You can set a base camp location, waypoints, record tracks or trails you’ve ridden, compass, overall I’ve been loving it.

But if anyone has one of these or maybe another Magellan, my question is- how can I export recorded tracks to my computer? Additionally it’d be nice to overlay the tracks with another map. Does anyone have advice on software or something else that I could use to do this?

I have a Magellan eXplorist 400 which uses SD memory and comes with a USB cable. There is a way to get tracks off the GPS using software but I’ve found the quickest way is to mount the GPS as a drive on my computer. When you plug the GPS into the computer you can select ‘USB transfer mode’ and it shows up just like any other flash drive you might use.

Alternatively you could remove the SD card and connect it to a card reader. In either case there is a directory for tracks (not sure exactly what it’s called, maybe just "Tracks") that you’re looking for. There’s also a directory for waypoints so you can get those as well.

Finally, once you have the correct files you’ll probably need to convert them to GPX format. This can be done using GPS Babel software (free, gpsbabel.org).

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.