Made in USA

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

As an act of economic patriotism, I would like to give priority on parts for my ride made in the USA. The problem is almost all online retailers don’t list the country of origin. I use the made in the USA filter on REI.com, however there selection is limited and expensive. Does anyone have a good retailer or products they suggest.

Santa Cruz bikes are made in the USA.

Are you looking for specific components?

A lot of engineering is still done here (Hayes, Cane Creek, SRAM, Fox, etc), but finding things like wheels/hubs, shifters, forks, brakes, cables, etc that are still fully mfg’d in the US is pretty much impossible.

I work for a company that engineers (I’m in R&D) and manufactures high-end medical equipment here in VT, although we do a lot of stuff here, a huge number of components come from Japan (optics, electronics), China (motors, gears, optics, electronics), and the EU (motors, electronics).

This is a global economy, a company cannot compete in isolation, not anymore. Just my $0.02.

"jrkronstein" wrote

As an act of economic patriotism, I would like to give priority on parts for my ride made in the USA. The problem is almost all online retailers don’t list the country of origin. I use the made in the USA filter on REI.com, however there selection is limited and expensive. Does anyone have a good retailer or products they suggest.

To keep it really local, have you considered a hand built frame from a small builder? I’ll be doing a blog post soon showcasing a couple of frame builders located here in Colorado. And their prices aren’t as bad as you’d think!

" kevine3" wrote

Santa Cruz bikes are made in the USA.

Santa Cruz bikes are made in Taiwan and China and assembled in the US.
      http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/compan … php?jobs=1

Production Engineer
      Santa Cruz Bicycles is looking for a Production/Manufacturing Engineer to work at our Taichung, Taiwan location. This position will be located in Taichung and requires a minimum of two years of bicycle manufacturing experience, and proficiency using Pro/Engineer or SolidWorks for 2D and 3D design and documentation.
      Chinese language skills are a big plus.
      Frequent travel to vendors both in Taiwan and China is required, and 4-6 weeks per year spent at our Santa Cruz, California facility to work with our product development team (aka ride bikes) is expected.

http://www.shinybikes.com/kinesis/index2.html

Kinesis was established in 1989 and now has factories in the USA, Taiwan and China, producing frames and forks for many of the worlds leading, high performance bicycle manufacturers. Some of the major companies that depend on Kinesis craftsmanship are; GT, Raleigh, Trek, Santa Cruz, Haro, Kona, Jamis, K2, Felt, Storck, Commencal, Sunn and Ideal.
Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.