Loose Headset

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I Have a bike that is only 5 months or so old and over the last couple of months no matter what I do I feel like there is play in the headset. When I am hammering up a hill I can feel a slight rocking and when I do the standard test off the bike of locking the front brake and rocking the bike I can feel play as well. I have brought it to a LBS who said they noticed it and fixed it but I still feel it. According to the technical specs on the bike: HeadsetIntegrated 1-1/8" Aheadset–Cane Creek Type 45 Degree Sealed Cartridge Bearing, w/Custom Felt Spacer Kit Is this normal to have slight play at the headset? Should I be worried about damaging the frame? Should I buy a new headset? Any thoughts or solutions would be appreciated.

Is this normal to have slight play at the headset?

Generally,adjust bearings for the loosest setting that has no knocking or play.

If play always seems present no matter the adjustment,the steering column may be too long for the stem and top cap.Add spacers beneath stem in this case.

[url]http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=65[url][/url]

Thanks, I will try to tighten once more and then look for an additional spacer

Is this normal to have play in the headset?? – NO!

Is this potentially damaging to the bike? – Yes, but more important is that it is potentially damaging to YOU.

New bike with solid cane creek headset – I agree with Steve – check the spacers. If you like the geometry of the bike add to the top above the stem, if you want to be more upright then add underneath the stem.

Good luck.

The play you feel may not be coming from the headset. If you’re using a suspension fork that is 5 months old, it could be that the bushings and seals have broken-in which may cause some play in the front-end.

That is interesting because I noticed that my lock out was not working a week or two ago and I brought it to my lbs to be fixed and i took my first ride this weekend since the fix and I noticed (unfortunately on my ride) that the fork was locked no matter whether the lockout button was locked or not. Tonight I measured and I am only showing 44mm in the fork (locked and unlocked). I guess I will have to bring it back to look at the fork again and the "loose headset"

thanks again for the comments

What brand/model bike and brand/model fork is this??

I have a Felt Virtue 2 with a Rock Shox Recon 351 Fork.

To eliminate the possibility of fork play vs loose headset do the following:

Straddle the top tube
      Hold the handlebars normally as if riding
      Lift the front wheel off the ground
      Turn the bars parallel with the top tube
      Attempt to rock/pivot the bars up and down in relation to the frame.

If you don’t feel any play this way it is in the fork or front hub. Lots of forks develop a little play once they are broken in. Check the Park Tool site as to how to check a front hub.

If your integrated headset has play that can not be adjusted out (and you have checked the spacers as other posters have said) you may have some serious problems (very very bad news). Go to another shop for a second opinion. Pray for the best.

Hope this helps

First thing to eliminate the possibility of not being able to adjust the Aheadset internal is to just remove the top cap bolt without touching the stem…Look in and see that there is at least 1/8th of an inch or 3mm of clearance from the top of the steering tube to the top of the stem…If you have the room put the stem cap back on….Then to eliminate the possibility of the headset too loose is to remove some tension of the 2 stem bolts and turn the top cap bolt a bit….you will know when you tightened too much the steering becomes to tight…If you had a fish scale you could attach it to one side of the bar and see if you can get about 1/2 to 1 lb of preload on it…That would be great if you can get that and then feel how smooth the steering is…If it feels a bit notchy you have it too tight…Try again…Once it feels smooth without being too loose check the bike again and see if you don’t have play on the floor….Ohh and another thing cycle the fork up and down 10 time as if you were doing a "tire kick" check of a bike at a shop..That will move the fluid around a bit and not have the stanchions dry and possibly make a bit of noise there.

Cheers hope it helps.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.