Looking for FS MTB or All terrain for around $500

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all,
      I’d like to get a new MTB or AT bike for around $500 , 650$ tops, with full suspension.
      This will be my first and I’ll generally use it for street and minor trail riding. Been seeing a lot negative feedback on the cheaper store bought ones like the mongoose, back in the day they made really good BMXers.
      But, I had my eye on this one [url]http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5585806[/url] from Wally-Mart.
      I would be putting it together, use to do it for a living years ago so I do have a good knowledge of it, might even disassemble it first as far as what is all ready together when it’s shipped just to make sure everything is right.
      I checked out the website for he only local bike shop by me and they’re wanting about $900 and up, which is understandable for superior components, but like I said I’m just basically going to be riding street and minor trails, nothing extreme.

TIA,
      mrZoSo

I won’t bust your stones about buying a Wal-Mart grade bike, because that’s how I started, but I do have to say that the components were so bad, that I bought the bike almost twice over in maintenance costs in the first two years. And a question: If you’re only riding roads and easy trails, why full suspension? You’ll get a lot more bike for the money with a hardtail.

Also, the bike you’re looking at is a downhiller, not a general use bike. Big tires that don’t roll well, and, at 46 lbs., it’s super heavy. It’ll climb like a pig.

A decent hardtail will weigh half as much, and the local bike shop can probably find something for you in the $500-$600 range.

Here’s the specs on it, at least it’s all I could find for now:

Frame: 4-Bar alloy dual suspension hydro-form
      Rear Shock: Coil spring, adjustable
      Fork: Rock Shox Dart1 suspension fork, 100mm
      Shifters: 24-speed SRAM SX4 Trigger Shifter system
      Stem: 31.8 Ahead Stem
      Handlebars: Carbon wrap Fat Bars, 31.8
      Crankset: Suntour XR 24/34/43
      Front Derailleur: Suntour
      Rear Derailleur: SRAM SX4
      Brakes: Promax mechanical dual disc
      Wheels: 26" Star "Speed" disc rims with camo, 32H
      Tires: Mongoose DH 26" x 2.35"
      Pedals: Mongoose Alloy platform
      Seat: Mongoose DH saddle with camo print, quick release

Why FS?
      Need it for minor back injury, doctor said FS would be the way to go.

Did a quick chck on ebay, is Motobecane a good product?
      Found this one
      http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-ALUMINUM-FULL- … 286.c0.m14

Thanks for the help and info guys!

Why are you looking at a full suspension or "All-Terrain" bike for street and/or light trail riding?

I think you’re wasting your $$ on an unecessary part – the rear shock (and maybe even the fork as well). Go for a hardtail with better components that will last and you’ll get more use out of (because it wont be in the shop all the time)

"Mongoose" wrote

[quote="Beaker":daxv4wh6]Why are you looking at a full suspension or "All-Terrain" bike for street and/or light trail riding?

I think you’re wasting your $$ on an unecessary part – the rear shock (and maybe even the fork as well). Go for a hardtail with better components that will last and you’ll get more use out of (because it wont be in the shop all the time)

Not to be a hard a__ by any means but ‘mrZoSo’ did note in a previous response (posting) why they wanted a full suspension:

Why FS?
      Need it for minor back injury, doctor said FS would be the way to go.

If they want a full suspension MTB for what ever their reasons may be, then leave them alone over their choice. Let them ride whatever they want to ride just like you do.[/quote:daxv4wh6]

They asked for help and I was trying to offer some – sorry that for the reasons stated I thought that he/she could get a better deal. Maybe they hadn’t thought of a hardtail. I really don’t give a sh*t what they ride. Personally I think a $500 FS bike is a complete waste of money. Why don’t you let people give advice and let the OP decide whether or not they want to take it.

WOW!!! Its a war zone, but with words…

While they duke it out, let me tell you my experience. I went looking relatively for the same thing (FS, good components, good price, strong frame). I did some looking around on the net and I found what turned out to be a good buy. I went to http://www.sierriatradingpost.com and looked at their bikes that they had. Before I was researching the heck out of Ironhorse. Decided to get a bike in their Warrior linup. I found it. An 07′ Ironhorse Warrior 4.0 for $635, plus shipping. The MSRP for this bike was something like 750 or 850, I don’t remember. The bike is great, and by judging from the type of riding that you will be doing, this bike would be more than enough. Plus, that means you have "more bike"so to speak for the future should you ever decide to grow in your riding style. The only problem for you is that I got my bike on a wholesale getting rid of stock sale to make room for the 08’s.

You should really check this out before you buy anything else online.
      http://www.sierratradingpost.com/search … tions=True

@spazjensen
      Thanks, they look like like pretty good bikes for what I want. I’ll keep my eye on them. I like the Iron Horse Warrior 6.0, it’s the 2007 model.
      I’m still doing research, probably won’t be getting one ’till the end of the month, maybe a little later then that even.

@the
      other 2, calm down! ,,,LOL

Whatever I get, it’ll never be in the shop, I do all the work myself ;)

Whatever I get, it’ll never be in the shop, I do all the work myself ;)[/quote]

Yeah, you say that now. I guarantee that something will happen that you will be needing the LBS’s help on.

That is only if you ride as hard as I do, given the type of bike that I have.

"Mongoose" wrote

I am calm and always have been, nothing new! Thank you!

Denial is a sign of guilt. HAHA

Just kidding…

"spazjensen" wrote

Yeah, you say that now. I guarantee that something will happen that you will be needing the LBS’s help on.

That is only if you ride as hard as I do, given the type of bike that I have.

Yeah, that’s true, that’s where I’ll go to buy a tire when I need one,,LOL

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.