Loaded Precision Gear Review Contest: Official Thread

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Loaded Precision Gear Review Contest: Official Thread

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author

This is the official thread for the Loaded Precision Gear Review Contest starting today.

Full contest rules and leaderboard: http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bi … _11_12.php

Very awesome! Had a blast with the last contest and I’m excited to participate in this one as well.

Just to clear something up with the points system:
      "5 points for creating one or more bikes in My Bike"

That means you get 5 points no matter how many bikes you add correct? It’s not 5 points per bike is it?

Exactly. 5 points no matter how many bikes you create.

Is Singletracks looking for personal photos or just generic, item photos? What is to keep someone from just pillaging the internet of photos and uploading them here (complete with copy write issues) just to win this contest?

In the blog post explaining the rules, it talks about using original pics. It also says the pics will be reviewed first. Overall, people can cheat the system if they try hard enough, so just have fun with it and share your knowledge and experience with others.

Exactly Jarrett. The community is also pretty good about identifying folks who aren’t playing by the rules…

"Jarrett.morgan" wrote

In the blog post explaining the rules, it talks about using original pics. It also says the pics will be reviewed first. Overall, people can cheat the system if they try hard enough, so just have fun with it and share your knowledge and experience with others.

"jeff" wrote

Exactly Jarrett. The community is also pretty good about identifying folks who aren’t playing by the rules…

Works for me. Going to break out the 50 f/1.8 tonight and see what I can pull from the bikes. 😄

Some of the review photos I posted are the different color variations of the same product that I own. Obviously, I do not have every color of the helmet I reviewed, or every color of bottle holder, or every color variation of stem, or every color available of my gloves. I posted those photos up only on reviews that I created for my own gear.

I still have a lot more gear that I have not even posted on here yet (tire patch kits, adjustable stem, old school rigid bike, all my different water bottles, off-brand riding shorts, all the individual components that came with my bikes, the bunch of bell helmets that I have, my new DSLR camera bag, presta to schrader adapter, my old pressure gauge, bike rack, car rack, bike locks, etc).

I don’t think it would be reasonable to ask anyone to completely dismantle their bikes to take a bunch of photos of all their individual components.

Hey everyone, thanks for hosting such a cool contest. I have been having fun reviewing items that I have purchased and used, as well as getting to be involved in the chance to win something! I hope my reviews will help someone make informed future purchases on some of these products.

I know that many of my past purchases have been made after checking out the reviews on websites such as this, and am thankful for those that wrote many of the previous posts. I for one, will stick to posting reviews and not pictures, since I am not familiar with the legality of copyright issues on posting such pictures. Additionally, its easy to see a picture of a product from any website, but not as easy to get unbiased reviews of some of the products that we mountain bikers may use.

Thanks again for hosting such a fun contest, gotta go find some things to review!

I like doing the reviews to help people out with choosing gear. I thoroughly enjoy reading other people’s reviews also, so I think that this is a really great idea to promote adding more reviews. Honestly, I am not really into this for the prizes. I had just recently posted a ton of reviews before this contest started so I ended up getting credit for them, and I still have more reviews and photos to add.

Hey guys – we’re stoked to see so many new reviews already and especially glad to hear how you enjoy reading them. Remember, if you come across any particularly helpful reviews there is a new feature to identify helpful reviews. Just look for "Was this review helpful?" below the comments and click ‘Yes’. There is actually a Pearl Izumi prize pack for most helpful review!

thanks & good luck in the contest!

"blundar" wrote

I don’t think it would be reasonable to ask anyone to completely dismantle their bikes to take a bunch of photos of all their individual components.

You could always just do a close-up shot of the component in its natural habitat (installed on the bike).

Contest tip of the day: When you add a bike via My Bikes and upload photos, those photos are automatically added to the bike review page too. So if you upload 5 pics of your bike, that’s 5 extra points in the contest. And if you have multiple bikes… you get the idea. 😀

Don’t really want this to come out wrong, but I don’t believe some of the half done pictures are acceptable…
      Really guys? I want to see a picture of the saddle bag, not the entire bike:
      http://www.singletracks.com/photo.php?c=2&p=51103

Also, what’s up with the reflector on the bag. The glare is covering up the bag.

Friendly reminder: Take your time and be fair. 😃

Anybody else having issues uploading 5 pics at a time? 2 is the max it will allow me without showing an error. Really makes this a laborious process 😢

The error I get is: "Sorry, we can’t post your submission at this time. Try going back to the form and posting your submission again."

How big are the pics you’re trying to upload?

"jeff" wrote

How big are the pics you’re trying to upload?

Ah…didn’t think about that…they’re monstrous. 4608×3456 😆
      Let me try toning down my camera settings and see what happens.

Just quickly reduce them in Gimp or some other photo editor.

Don’t really want this to come out wrong, but I don’t believe some of the half done pictures are acceptable…

Also, what’s up with the reflector on the bag. The glare is covering up the bag.

Sorry, I liked that picture 😢
      It shows how the bag looks on the bike while in use, since there were aleady pleny of generic pics from the internet of just the bag I figured it’d be nice to actually see what it looks like on the bike in it’s natural enviroment…

Thought I was being original :/
      Jacksperson

BTW:
      JT = Nice work on your pictures, I was sifting thru them this morning while getting ready for work, I thought I had a lot of pics… *Jealous*

JacksPerson

"JacksPerson" wrote

BTW:
      JT = Nice work on your pictures, I was sifting thru them this morning while getting ready for work, I thought I had a lot of pics… *Jealous*

JacksPerson

Thanks! I’ve used and abusted (and for some reason hoarded) A LOT of gear over the past couple years.

I’m just getting started 😼

I havent hit my tool box yet…. ;)
      Pappa needs some new riding shoes bad 😀

"jtorlando25" wrote

Anybody else having issues uploading 5 pics at a time? 2 is the max it will allow me without showing an error. Really makes this a laborious process 😢

The error I get is: "Sorry, we can’t post your submission at this time. Try going back to the form and posting your submission again."

I didn’t realize uploading multiple photos was an option. How do I do that?

"JacksPerson" wrote

Pappa needs some new riding shoes bad 😀

Good thing 2nd place gets the shoes too. 😮 OH! I went there!

😆

Don’t forget you can also review your riding clothes, helmets, storage racks, car racks, mtb dvds, mtb phone apps…all kinds of stuff.

"JacksPerson" wrote

Sorry, I liked that picture 😢
      It shows how the bag looks on the bike while in use, since there were aleady pleny of generic pics from the internet of just the bag I figured it’d be nice to actually see what it looks like on the bike in it’s natural enviroment…

Thought I was being original :/
      Jacksperson

I like seeing the gear "in action". Gives better perspective than a photo of just an item with no context.

"fleetwood" wrote

I didn’t realize uploading multiple photos was an option. How do I do that?

After clicking Browse to select your photo, CTRL-click to select several photos, then click Open.

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":2ubadddn]I didn’t realize uploading multiple photos was an option. How do I do that?

After clicking Browse to select your photo, CTRL-click to select several photos, then click Open.[/quote:2ubadddn]
      Hmmm, I thought I tried that. I will give it another shot. Thanks.

Thanks Fleet… 😃

"jtorlando25" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":dc5pjmlm]I didn’t realize uploading multiple photos was an option. How do I do that?

After clicking Browse to select your photo, CTRL-click to select several photos, then click Open.[/quote:dc5pjmlm]

Giving away your competitive edge 😼

No but really, thanks for helping out. Multiple photo uploads is a relatively new feature that Jeff rolled out recently.

Hmmm, I thought I tried that. I will give it another shot. Thanks.

If you’re on a mac, hold the Apple (command) key.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Giving away your competitive edge 😼

Naww, I like a little competition! Besides, the pics I’ve already taken are so freakin big that I can only upload 2 at a time anyway. I’m going to do some mass resizing tonight and get my edge back 😀

Good thing 2nd place gets the shoes too. 😮 OH! I went there!

😆

So does the camera… I really want the camera and some new shoes… see now the cats outta bag! 😃

Don’t forget you can also review your riding clothes, helmets, storage racks, car racks, mtb dvds, mtb phone apps…all kinds of stuff.I went as far as to add Strava for a review under the apps catagory ;)

I Added Strava under the Apps catagory yesterday so I could review it! 😄

BTW Singletracks.com guys = Thanks, I am having a lot of fun with this. So far prior to this the extent of my contrabutions were merely checking the forums to see if there were any conversations pertaining to my local area (NH) I could get in on and uploading pictures/reviews of my local trails. Kind of a shut in 😳

Thanks!
      JacksPerson

Contest tip of the day: Reviewing GPS apps for smartphones is an easy way to rack up more points. Find free GPS apps for your phone, give them a spin, then post your review and screen shots.

http://www.singletracks.com/bike-review … e_366.html

Hey guys, we’ve been noticing that some people have been adding new items to the gear database that we didn’t have listed before–which is great! However, when you add a new gear listing, please make sure that you are submitting good information. Several people have been creating a new listing without adding any actual information to the basic listing itself, and have just been submitting a detailed review. I realize that we aren’t awarding points for creating new gear listings, but in the spirit of making this database a better resource for everyone, we would really appreciate it.

At a bare minimum, please copy and paste the gear description from the website into the new gear listing and make sure to include the price. It should only take about an extra 30 seconds or so. For more information on how to use the gear review pages, check out this blog post from last year: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/single … reviews-2/ Some of the screenshots are now out of date, but the basic principles are the same.

Thanks everyone!!

Is there a way to go back and correct this with items we have added, or have we ultimately already caused you more work?

Nevermind I Found it:

Right side of screen the last options named "Edit"..

On it, thanks!

"JacksPerson" wrote

Is there a way to go back and correct this with items we have added, or have we ultimately already caused you more work?

Yeah, I added an item last night and didn’t realize until I was done that I forgot to add the price. I couldn’t figure out how to go back in and edit.

"JacksPerson" wrote

On it, thanks!

No, thank you! 😀

Yeah, I added an item last night and didn’t realize until I was done that I forgot to add the price. I couldn’t figure out how to go back in and edit.
      "mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="JacksPerson":2zbnuknx]

On it, thanks!

No, thank you! 😀

[/quote:2zbnuknx]

Well, that was easy. Update done.

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="mtbgreg1":ext2l2qv][quote="JacksPerson":ext2l2qv]

On it, thanks!

No, thank you! 😀

[/quote:ext2l2qv]

Well, that was easy. Update done.[/quote:ext2l2qv]

Awesome, thanks much!!

Here I thought selecting multiple images at once was a fluke. Good lord that could have saved me time the other night. 😆

I have a bit more gear to review, but I’m quickly coming to the end of my available resources. And daylight. Shooting in the garage is okay, but lighting stinks. Hopefully the coming weekends (and days off from work) will afford me the ability to get a bit more depth to my images.

Contest tip of the day: Don’t limit yourself to taking photos of the gear YOU own. Hit up your buddies to take pics of their rigs.

I have received some email notifications that people have commented on the pictures I have uploaded, but when I click on the link it just takes me to the home page. I’ve dug around in my account profile but cannot figure out how to find the comments. It’s not a big deal, but I am curious what others had to say. Any suggestions?

I have had the same situation. It is not with every picture though so I assume I am unknowingly clicking on an option when uploading the pics. I also have noticed nothing differant or no new comments on these pics that I get the notification about. Could it be someone else also posting pics after I do in the same review?

Please forward me ([email protected]) any emails that redirect you to the homepage or link to a photo that doesn’t have a comment and I’ll take a look. Thanks!

Contest tip of the day. There are several ways you can find gear you may have forgotten to review:

– In your account profile (http://www.singletracks.com/php/my/). There’s a block midway down the page that says "You own it, now review it!" This grabs an item on your "My gear" list that you haven’t reviewed yet.

– On your My Bikes dashboard, look for any components without a star.

– Check your "My gear" list. Go down the list and make sure you’ve reviewed everything on the list.

I’m half tempted to bring my camera to my local bike shops and start snapping away at products. 😆

"Uh, excuse me, can I help you?"
      "Yes, shut up and let me keep going! There’s free gear at stake!"

That said, I’m thinking 4th is the highest I’ll get. I don’t have any other gear and I’m not sure how easily I can get out to other places to grab photos. Well played, Singletracks and all that have submitted information. This was fun and I hope we’ve provided a good influx of information and data points to the Reviews section.

Hey, I didn’t realize you could be a daily winner more than once. Speaking of which, since I was a daily winner, how does one go about securing the prize? Do we have any say or is it grab bag luck of the draw. Just saying, I could use a new pair of gloves. Size L. 😃

I made my way briefly into the top 5, but am slowly slipping down now. Running out of available time and gear, but I may have a few up my sleeve, so you leaders better not let your guard down.

@jtorlando
      – got 1,000 in your sites!

Hmmm… it shouldn’t be possible to be the daily winner more than once, that must be a bug. 😀

We’ll contact the daily winners individually to coordinate which prizes are available in the grab bag. We also got some t-shirts from Five Ten that will be "up for grabs." 😄

"fleetwood" wrote

@jtorlando – got 1,000 in your sites!

1k is definitely in my sights. Having my bike in the shop for the past 2 weeks has helped me gain a tremendous amount of free time and I’m really only about halfway through the piles of gear in my garage.

I just saw that I was a daily winner again. HAS to be a bug…I’m the kind of person with zero luck and I never win ANYTHING 😆

Contest tip of the day. If you’re gunning for the "Most Helpful Review" prize, this tip is for you.

Look back at the reviews you’ve posted and check the number of readers who found your review useful (top right of your review). If it looks like readers aren’t finding your review helpful, you can always hit the "Edit" button below your review, and make changes to improve it.

Jtorlando25 you just got your third daily win. I hope you are ready to share some of that luck with the rest of us!

Fixed. Sorry jtorlando, you can only claim one of the random prizes. 😀

"Jarrett.morgan" wrote

Jtorlando25 you just got your third daily win. I hope you are ready to share some of that luck with the rest of us!

😆 dang I missed it

Ok, so if the world is ending at about 5 am tomorrow how are we going to get our prizes?!?!

What time does the contest officially end tomorrow?

Midnight (PST I believe).

And the competition is fierce down to the line! Dozzerboy has moved up into 2nd and Beachboy_86 back is in 4th place but is closing fast!

"jeff" wrote

Midnight (PST I believe).

12 AM Friday morning? (tonight) or 12 AM Saturday morning? (tomorrow night)

You have all day Friday. On Saturday the contest is over. 😀

whew! good to know. Looks like beach boy is coming out of the woodwork!! 😎

"beach_boy86" wrote

What time does the contest officially end tomorrow?

At the same time the world ends. 😼

I think the winners should be determined by age, from youngest to oldest. 😉

But I wanted to say, "Thanks for hosting such an awesome competition with awesome prizes." Singletracks should do one every month. 😃

I just realized (or may be over looking something) that there is no option to remove a photo once you upload it. I’ve accidentally posted a few extra photos when uploading several at once and I have some photos of a stem in a brake review. There’s no delete button when I click on Edit.

That’s true, no delete button right now. You can replace photos though… Be careful. 😀

The Contest has officially closed! Thank you to all of you who made this possible and congrats to all who participated. I think we put more reviews in the past week than the previous 6 months combined. 😆

Thanks Jeff for hosting this contest.

Thanks guys!

Grats to the winners, good work and nice numbers.

I’m glad the contest ended before the world! Somewhat glad it’s over…that was A LOT of work 😆

Thanks ST, Jeff, and crew!

Viewing 65 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.