Little snow, Big whimp!

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • Author

My first ride with snow and found it hard not to let fear of slipping slow me down. Went to a trail I know very well and seemed to just chicken out and took turns very slowly. Any advice? I didn’t actually seem to slip just didn’t have the courage to keep my speed. I ride this trail often so it was not the trail just the snow. Been riding for several months now and never ridden through a winter, but don’t want to stop riding, so any advice would be appreciated.

Are you riding a regular MTB or a fatbike?

On a regular mtb, practice turns on loose gravel roads, leaves, or snow and get to the point where you can fly into a turn fast, you know when your back wheel will break loose and start sliding, and then get comfortable enough with countersteering to be able to ride that slide through a turn.

Note: this is not braking and skidding because you are out of control, this is a rear wheel slide because the conditions are too loose to let the wheels grip as much as they should. If you can master that skill, your rear wheel sliding out every now and then won’t scare you. Sure, you’ll probably slow down a little bit in corners, but a rear wheel slide will no longer be the end of the world.

Hope this helps!

I think there is a lot of geographic differences in snow conditions too. I think I saw a post that said you are in Colorado so it is probably pretty good to ride in. Funrover, our resident Colorado snow riding expert might have some 411 for you.

In Virginia everything turns to slush mid-day and ice at night. I don’t ride in it unless it is just a little bit on the ground. If Santa would bring me a fatbike I might try it again. 😃

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

If Santa would bring me a fatbike I might try it again. 😃

😃

good luck!

"fleetwood" wrote

[quote="CraigCreekRider":35ws4s85]If Santa would bring me a fatbike I might try it again. 😃

😃

good luck![/quote:35ws4s85]
      😆 😆 😆 😆 I will need it. I don’t think I have been that good this year 😏 😏 😏 Maybe I will at least get some coal for the stove 😆 😆

"mtbgreg1" wrote

Are you riding a regular MTB or a fatbike?

On a regular mtb, practice turns on loose gravel roads, leaves, or snow and get to the point where you can fly into a turn fast, you know when your back wheel will break loose and start sliding, and then get comfortable enough with countersteering to be able to ride that slide through a turn.

Note: this is not braking and skidding because you are out of control, this is a rear wheel slide because the conditions are too loose to let the wheels grip as much as they should. If you can master that skill, your rear wheel sliding out every now and then won’t scare you. Sure, you’ll probably slow down a little bit in corners, but a rear wheel slide will no longer be the end of the world.

Hope this helps!

Ride a MTB, no fat bike yet. Great advice thanks.

Im lucky. I live in Southern California. No snow no cold weather no problem.

In addition to mtbgreg1’s post wanna recommend to lower your tire pressure if trail is icy. If its slightly packed snow, then riding doesn’t differ much from summer. Also, leaning properly and loading your front wheel in turns will increase traction and stability. Because front wheel usually slip first. Sorta similar to riding in sand or leaves.
      And most important, leave your fears at home and be ready to eat that snow once in a while – this is part of the game 😄

yeah,Im lucky. I live in Southern California. No snow no cold weather no problem.thanksImage

Greg provided some good insight and ideas on how to feel comfortable with the feeling of the tires sliding instead/while rolling. It is a sensation that causes the stomach to jump up into your mouth, but controlling that impulse, being comfortable with it, and knowing what to do will help. Seat time will bring all that about.

With motorcycles, controlling this is a bit easier. Just give it some more gas and use weight on the pegs and bar input to control where things go. But with a bike, it is a bit tougher, since your only means of providing power is through the pedals, and putting that inside pedal closer to the ground can lead to issues. The best option is to just have enough speed to carry you through the slide and let the slide scrub off the speed such that you maintain control and end up going/pointing the direction you want.

As I said, having that inside pedal to close to the ground could lead to it catching on a root, rock, or just striking the dirt, which could lead to a much worse situation than sliding. Set up to a turn by having the outside pedal lower, and more weight on that pedal. It seems counter productive, but having more weight lower on the bike helps stability.

All of this goes hand in hand with looking down the trail. Sliding means you’ll be going in a tangential direction, or not in the direction you want to go. So, you have to initiate the turn long before you actually have to so that by the time the slide is complete, you’ll have the correct exit direction and NOT be sliding OFF the trail. Seeing the turn and knowing you have far too much speed going in to it gives you the perfect opportunity to try and slide through it to both make the turn and scrub off some of that speed.

Best bet, find a turn/curve you are comfortable with and practice on it. Fine one in each direction (left and right) so you can become comfortable with both directions. Then, just apply it to other turns and riding in general. This won’t be an overnight thing. It takes time to build that confidence in knowing that even though your tires are not gripping as well as they could, that you’ll stay rubber side down and continue riding.

watch your front tire, dont worry about the back–by the time the back tire slips you have larger problems. I learned the hard way to keep my weight over the front tire as much as possible. Obviously don’t use the front brake as hard as you are used to (see first sentence). I personally would do not lower my tire pressure any more as the snow is a harder workout than you are used to already and it is not as fun for me. riding in sand, wet leaves, etc is a fine idea, but after my first spill I went to a play ground where the the snow was packed down almost to ice and pushed the envelope there. lots of room to be stupid with no consequenses. Slow down. Remember you are getting twice the workout at half the speed. All this worked for me.

This is all great advice. The thing that will help you the most is practice, practice, practice! Just remember that you’ll be slower both up and down, but you’ll also have the trail to yourself and get a great workout to boot! I love how the snow quiets everything down and makes even normal scenery much more beautiful! Listen to mr frosty111 and watch that front brake and front wheel to start. I like to move my butt back an inch or two on my seat when climbing to give me better traction with my rear wheel, and then move my weight forward to help my front wheel bite in when descending. I definitely can’t do either as fast as I can on a dry trail, but I love snow rides anyway! Don’t be so hard on yourself and just go have fun! 😃

here’s a little report on my last bike ride up in Crested Butte! I understand how you can be a bit timid. I mean its snow… snow can turn in to ice… Ice is slippery! 😃

http://gimmearaise.blogspot.com/2012/12 … eason.html

"GimmeAraise" wrote

here’s a little report on my last bike ride up in Crested Butte! I understand how you can be a bit timid. I mean its snow… snow can turn in to ice… Ice is slippery! 😃

http://gimmearaise.blogspot.com/2012/12 … eason.html

Great post, Neil. Looks like you’re half-way from buying a fatbike to keep riding all winter 😀
      Oh, and your bike looks gorgeous.

Okay, took all of your advice and just took my 3rd snow ride about 16mi. It was a blast, still riding slow. The snow makes it so peaceful. Too cold at first, then too hot, will have to work on that. Overall it was a great experienceand, plan on not letting the snow slow down my riding.

Hey guys, newbe here from yrs of hiatus… anyway, have my 1st snow ride a day before christmas, not as easy as I thought and have my 1st wipe out… and some of you mentioned, the ground is very forgiving 😃 , took me forever to finish my loop and have to walk some. Have a 2.35 tire on my old 575, with maybe 25 psi in it, very quite out though, which is what I love.
      Well, might do it again if I get bored on the couch, but I wish I have one of those fatty.

"arkinet" wrote

Hey guys, newbe here from yrs of hiatus… anyway, have my 1st snow ride a day before christmas, not as easy as I thought and have my 1st wipe out… and some of you mentioned, the ground is very forgiving 😃 , took me forever to finish my loop and have to walk some. Have a 2.35 tire on my old 575, with maybe 25 psi in it, very quite out though, which is what I love.
      Well, might do it again if I get bored on the couch, but I wish I have one of those fatty.

You’ll wipe out on PURE ICE even with fatty. Fat tire add grip on grippy surface but not on ice. To be safe on ice you either need to lower pressure and slow down or get studded tires.
      Also, only on rare occasion trails could be more then 50% ice. Normally there’re some patches which are fun to skid on.
      Your bike and tires sound like an ultimate winter machine. It’s only a matter of saddle time when you become confident on winter singletrack. Have fun 😀

"stumpyfsr" wrote

You’ll wipe out on PURE ICE even with fatty. Fat tire add grip on grippy surface but not on ice. To be safe on ice you either need to lower pressure and slow down or get studded tires.
      Also, only on rare occasion trails could be more then 50% ice. Normally there’re some patches which are fun to skid on.
      Your bike and tires sound like an ultimate winter machine. It’s only a matter of saddle time when you become confident on winter singletrack. Have fun 😀

you’re right, speed is the culprit…a little impatience and I got slush in my mouth.
      Will try it again some time, and thanks for the encouragement.

"arkinet" wrote

[quote="stumpyfsr":3twekfyv]

you’re right, speed is the culprit…a little impatience and I got slush in my mouth.
      Will try it again some time, and thanks for the encouragement.[/quote:3twekfyv]
      No problem. Have fun riding 😀

"Gdb49" wrote

Okay, took all of your advice and just took my 3rd snow ride about 16mi. It was a blast, still riding slow. The snow makes it so peaceful. Too cold at first, then too hot, will have to work on that. Overall it was a great experienceand, plan on not letting the snow slow down my riding.

Right on man! I am not sure how I missed this. Snow riding is like any other when learning, start easy and work your way up. 16 miles is awesome man. Where did you go?

Fort Collins area, rode around Pineridge/Dixon Lake and then up Maxwell (The "A") and back Home. Moderately steep on Maxwell’s. Also rode Ute Park in the Springs and South Shore in Pueblo, very little snow in Pueblo. Going out today can’t wait.

Just rode Blue Sky Trail in Fort Collins. Trails before were trails with snow on them, this was my first pure snow packed trail- no dirt. Started out at 27f and finished at 22f, was surprised at how warm I stayed. What a workout, snow was a little slushy at first then got a little crusty after the sun went behind the mountains. 8 miles and I’m beat. Still not holding speed like I should, but stayed up through several tire slides. Man, breaks are not your friend!

"Gdb49" wrote

Just rode Blue Sky Trail in Fort Collins. Trails before were trails with snow on them, this was my first pure snow packed trail- no dirt. Started out at 27f and finished at 22f, was surprised at how warm I stayed. What a workout, snow was a little slushy at first then got a little crusty after the sun went behind the mountains. 8 miles and I’m beat. Still not holding speed like I should, but stayed up through several tire slides. Man, breaks are not your friend!

Good for you man! Will try to get out next weekend…
      One thing I hate with a mix of dirt and snow, is the mud I have to clean off the bike, specially when its freezing outside 😢

Got another ride in today, and took on a little more speed. Still pretty whimpy, but getting better. Maybe by the end of winter I’ll be allowed to get my balls back. Really need to focus where my weight is positioned- front tire slides one minute and back tire slides the next. Sucking sucks!

"Gdb49" wrote

Got another ride in today, and took on a little more speed. Still pretty whimpy, but getting better. Maybe by the end of winter I’ll be allowed to get my balls back. Really need to focus where my weight is positioned- front tire slides one minute and back tire slides the next. Sucking sucks!

You’ll be awesome before you know it! During snow rides I seldom need the front brake, remember a rear wheel slide is a lot easier to control then a front wheel wash out.

Viewing 24 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.