IMBA is coming to Conway, SC for the first trail in the area

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum IMBA is coming to Conway, SC for the first trail in the area

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hey folks,

IMBA and their Trail Care Crew are coming to Conway, SC on March 25-28, 2010 to help build a trail in the Cox Ferry Recreation Area near Coastal Carolina University. I was lucky enough to get a grant so we can start having some mountain biking fun around here, and get the students of the university interested in the sport.
      Info on the weekend schedule and registration can be found at http://go.imba.com/conway

😃 😃 😃

"mountaingen" wrote

Hey folks,

IMBA and their Trail Care Crew are coming to Conway, SC on March 25-28, 2010 to help build a trail in the Cox Ferry Recreation Area near Coastal Carolina University. I was lucky enough to get a grant so we can start having some mountain biking fun around here, and get the students of the university interested in the sport.
      Info on the weekend schedule and registration can be found at http://go.imba.com/conway

😃 😃 😃

Sounds great Mountaingen. Any idea on how many miles are in the plans?

That area desperately needs some trails. Every time I go to Myrtle Beach I try and think of some reason to bring a bike. I can never come up with one. Closest trails that I have heard of are in Wilmington and down towards Charleston, so the bike always stays at home.

Well, the portion to be done that weekend is not more than 2 miles, but its in the plans to add some more mileage later on. There is already a hike/biking trail there, but this only will be biker only.And this is the most terrain I have seen in the area, so its a lot better than anyone can imagine I think, granted its not Colorado…
      I am really hoping to help change the culture in the area, and the support as been really good for the most part.
      There is also talks of building more biking trails on what is called the Floyd Track, its owned by the City of Conway I think, and they’ve been on board with this project.
      Hopefully you get to bring your bike to MB soon!

"mountaingen" wrote

Well, the portion to be done that weekend is not more than 2 miles, but its in the plans to add some more mileage later on. There is already a hike/biking trail there, but this only will be biker only.And this is the most terrain I have seen in the area, so its a lot better than anyone can imagine I think, granted its not Colorado…
      I am really hoping to help change the culture in the area, and the support as been really good for the most part.
      There is also talks of building more biking trails on what is called the Floyd Track, its owned by the City of Conway I think, and they’ve been on board with this project.
      Hopefully you get to bring your bike to MB soon!

I hope so too, unless it is in July. Still might bring it then to sort of counteract all that beer, seafood, and sedentary beaching. I think you can have good riding anywhere if theres enough people around who want to make it happen. Thanks for doing your part. You’ve got your work cut out for you with the golf cart being the leisure vehicle of choice along the Grand Strand. My folks have a place in South Myrtle so I get down there occasionally. Really love Huntington Beach State Park, theres a couple of hiking only trails there that I have drooled over. Good luck with the trails!

Good on you for getting this done.

Tell us more about the grant and your plans. Who did you get the grant from? For how much? How much trail you gonna build?

The grant is from IMBA. Its worth $4500, but its mainly that the IMBA trail crew is coming in town for 4 days, teaching us how to build a trail, maintain and promote it.
      IMBA has a trail grant program every year, and I was lucky to get it. I guess about 70 organizations around the US and Canada get the grant every year.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.