I think I made a mistake

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hello first post, sort of newbie, Ive been out of the game for a while and decided to get back into it. I bought a 2002 cannondale jekyll 1000. I realize now that I overpaid for it and should have been more patient. It pretty much needs new drivetrain(has old lx stuff that won’t shift properly) and it has suntour xc pro forks that feel like the spring was replaced with cottonballs. So I paid $500 for the bike and I figure with a new Slx or x9 group($300-500) and new forks($200-400) Im in 1k which is not a lot by most people’s standards but for me its a lot. Theres a cannondale lefty prophet and a fisher cake 2 that I can get locally for around $700 and probably wouldn’t need to replace much for a while and try to sell this bike for a small loss or just upgrade what I have? Im have the bad feeling that I made a horrible decision now I have no idea what to do. Any help would be appreciated. thaks

Welcome to the site and welcome back to mtb!

It sounds like you’re in a pickle, but I’m going to wager that its not as bad as it seems to you right now. Before you go buying another bike, you should progress past the "I bet it needs all these things" to "it needs these three things." and then make your decision. Bad shifting can almost always be taken care of with nothing more than proper adjustment and sometimes replacement cables. You can buy a new RS fork for as little as $200 via eBay or used even cheaper, but if you don’t want to drop the money now, the suntour can probably be set up properly to get you on the trails.

I speak from experience. I paid $800 for a $400 bike when I started. It rode like crap but I didn’t have any more money. I ended up riding it for almost two years. After adjustments and some cheap purchases via eBay and Amazon, it wasn’t such a bad bike after all. It still wasn’t worth $800, but it was a solid bike.

Why don’t you take some pics(closeups of components too) so we can make a more informed suggestion?

Sorry for your delima. I almost made the same mistake myself. The used bikes where I am from are way over priced. My dad gave me his old 94’ Trek 850 which is still a pretty nice bike. I decided to fix it up. When I was finished I put more money into it than the Airborne SkyHawk I recently purchased. The skyHawk is a much better bike but the Trek has sentimental value and it taught me how to work on bikes.

If I can offer any advice I would say use this bike to learn how to work on bikes. Watch youtube vids that teach you how to do specific things. However, before you make any big purchases try to figure out what it will cost to make it ride the way you want. Then check out Airborne’s site. I bet you can buy one of there bikes brand new for less than you can make yours as good as their bikes. Like Schwim said above, it might not be as bad as you think and if you can make some adjustments without spending a lot of money… That would be good. But don’t sink too much more into it only to discover that the technology 10+ years old cannot compete with the bikes of today.

I had my father check it out who has been messing with bikes forever and we came to the conclusion that the rear der. twisted . The limit screws arent adjusting properly and no matter what I do it just won’t shift properly. The bike was a frame up build and has a bunch of different parts on it and they just dont sync. My end game is a 2×10 drivetrain so I figured instead just replacing components as needed just by a group set and save money in the end instead of buying components for the 3×9.. The little that ive been on the bike I really like it but it needs work. I looked at new bikes but Im set on usa built frames. Im not looking for a competition bike, just one that is safe and works properly. I will try to take some pics tomorrow. thanks

For your rear derailleur, you can bend them back(many local shops will do this for you for a few bucks). Also, it’s sometimes the hanger and not the derailleur itself that is bent.

"mdjalopy" wrote

I had my father check it out who has been messing with bikes forever and we came to the conclusion that the rear der. twisted . The limit screws arent adjusting properly and no matter what I do it just won’t shift properly.

This isn’t much information to go on, and the info that schwim gave is also accurate.

Also, if you do decide to go with a 2×10 setup, ensure first that the new crank you buy will work with your current bottom bracket, and if it won’t you might have to buy a new BB. And if you do have to buy a new BB, make sure it will work with your frame.

Finally, depending on how old the wheels are, make sure that the 10 speed casette will mesh with your rear hub. I don’t *think* this will be an issue, but on a bike over a decade old it’s hard to say.

I haven’t had time to take bb off yet but from online research I pretty sure its a 68mm. Theres a sram x7/x9 set on ebay for 370.00 right now. Not get into a sram/shimano fight but is this a good deal if I can get for under $400? I was also looking at xt and slx sets, I know they all will work, its just a price point for me right now. So I think I will keep the bike, I know its old but its comfortable and is built well. So for another $500 I can have a pretty nice bike I think.

I bought a used but good complete 3×10 drivetrain on eBay for $200. You might be able to find something similar if you need more than one component. Just something to consider.

Does it have a 1 1/8 " threaded stem if so i will have a good Manitou Comp fork available soon if not threaded you can use a quill adapter an convert it to threadless . My son and I are planing on tearing down my old dbr vertex to give it update rebuild . He wants to build a bike off the cool polished frame.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.