I need a few suggestions on a new bike…

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

I’m just getting serious about MTBing and I need a new bike. I’ve been reading article after article and can’t come up with a solid decision as to which bike to get. A little overwhelming with all the choices. I want to be able to make serious jumps, enjoy sick downhill, maneuver technical sections, and be relatively comfortable on really long rides. Can you guys and gals give me some recommendations? Thanks.

Are you looking for something to get you through your first season? Or something you’ll use or years to come? Obviously it’s preferable to buy the right bike the first time, but sometimes it makes sense to make a smaller investment, knowing that you’ll upgrade in fairly short order.

How much MTB experience do you have so far?

Well, not a whole lot to be honest. I basically got a really cheap-o bike first and completely destroyed it about the third time out. I was so stoked about the sick riding I got to do on it before smashing it that I wasn’t even upset. I just went out and bought a slightly more expensive (but still cheap) bike and was a little more careful with this one. I would like to ride harder and longer but I’m worried about killing this one as well. So, really I just started going a 100 mph with no training and had a blast. I thought I’d better get something better suited to take the beating that I’m probably going to inflict trying to learn how to MTB the hard way.

How much money are you capable of spending on this bike,that’ll help narrow it down even further… 😀

I would rather not go over $3k if possible.

Lots of good options for under $3k. But we need to know more about you, where you ride, and how you ride.

What kind of riding are you doing? Where do you live? What’s the terrain like?

Specialized has a few bikes around 3k. The enduro is a great all mountain bike, will probably be the most comfortable for longer rides that can go up and down just about anything. And the Big Hit is a great freeride/downhill bike.

Wish I had 3k to spend on a bike 😃
      3k will definetly get you a very good bike.
      First question would be where do you live or plan to ride at? What type of terrain? From the sound of it you like to get airborne 😄 (so do I). From my experiance in upgrading from hardtail to full suspension I would definetly go F/S.
      Second question would be, will you be doing a lot of climbing?
      Last question I would ask myself would be, Am I in it for the long run?
      But ultimetly the best piece of advice I can give you and you might get from others is ride as many different bikes as possible and on the trails if possible. My LBS will demo out their bike so you can get a feel for on the trail and not just the parking lot….
      Good luck!
      suggestions IMO

GT force1.0
      Mongoose Teocali super
      Rocky Mountain Slayer
      Giant trance 1

"BUDDAH" wrote

Wish I had 3k to spend on a bike 😃

agreed 😮

"dgaddis" wrote

Lots of good options for under $3k. But we need to know more about you, where you ride, and how you ride.

What kind of riding are you doing? Where do you live? What’s the terrain like?

+1: More info please

If I had $3k budgeted to get into mountain biking fast, I would spend a couple of days watching chainlove.com, waiting for a $4k all-mountain bike for $2k. In the meantime, I’d spend $500 on accessories, tools and apparel. Then, once everything arrives, I’d use the remaining $500 to buy the rest of the stuff I need at a local shop.

If it turns out that the bike you’ve bought is not suitable, and can’t be adapted to suit your requirements, you should be able to sell it without taking much of a loss and by then you’ll know exactly what you want.

Take a look at the Trek fuel ex 8 or remedy 7. Both great bikes. Bombproof, 5 and 6 inches respectively. The Remedy is made for more downhill rides but the Fuel ex is the one that will be able to climb better.

Well, I live in west texas but I have ridden in Oklahoma (around broken bow lake), Dallas, and Mississippi (mt. Zion trail and butts park). I am planning a Texas mtb tour to hit a bunch of the trails here and th I’d like to venture out to Moab and Colorado to tackle the big stuff. I am 5’7" if that helps. As for how I wanna ride, lots of jumps, long rides, some big climbing, and downhill are what I’d like to stick to.

"fastNdumb" wrote

As for how I wanna ride, lots of jumps, long rides, some big climbing, and downhill are what I’d like to stick to.

Go with something like a Trek Remedy….

You could always throw an extra grand in and get you a nomad. I love my nomad.

You have enough cash on hand to get a good bike. Personally, I wouldn’t buy used. Mountain bikes take a beating. Buy a bike that suits the terrain where you ride. And most important of all, buy it from the best shop near you. If you’re a newbie, local support and a good wrench will be all important. At $3,000, there really isn’t any junk out there. Choose from what the best shop sells and find someone at the shop who will help you make the right selection.

Thanks for all the input folks.

From what you said you want to do, my opinion is that you should look to get an all-mountain rig. It will be the most capable on the rough down hill and jumps, while still being a good ride on the climbs. Some can argure other bike types but I think an all-mountain ride will take care of you.
      Three to take serious consideration and have models complete at under 3K:
      1)Rocky Mountain Slayer
      2)Trek Remedy
      3)Giant Reign

I can’t speak for past year’s models, but the 2011 models of these bikes are superb rides.
      My personal opinion is for the Rocky Mountain Slayer because I think it descends as well as it climbs. Just my opinion though…

Try to get to a couple of demos of new bikes. Ride a few and buy the one you like the best. Anybody can say anything about a bike but if it doesn’t work for you it will not be good. You’re making a good size investment so take your time and be sure of your wants and needs. A very good bike can be had under $2500.00 so keep the other $500.00 for swag. What good is a nice bike without a cool helmet anyway? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.