Hello Singletracks!

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Well, after quite a while of reading this forum, I’ve finally signed up!
      I’m fairly new to mountain biking, been riding for about a year now. I’ve got a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, and it’s a great bike, hasn’t failed me yet.

I do have one question, though.

My Hardrock has about a million gears, of which I use about 2 or 3. How hard, and how much would it cost, to convert it to a singlespeed? Or is this even possible? I’m a total noob when it comes to this stuff. 😳

I really like the idea of having only one speed. Simple, less hassle, less maintanence, more focus on riding and less on shifting. . .

I also want to try some bikepacking sometime down the road, and if something breaks on the trail when I’m miles and miles from civilization, repairs would be much easier with a singlespeed.

So if anyone wants to give this poor noob a little advice, it would be much appreciated! 😃
      Thanks, and hello Singletracks!

Less than $50 to do it right.

Ingredients of a typical SS conversion –

Cog, spacers & a tensioner – http://www.amazon.com/Single-Speed-Conv … B0014X6TM0

New chainring bolts (for only one ring) – http://www.amazon.com/Origin8-Single-Bi … d_sim_sg_8

Sometimes you get lucky with the gearing & the chain fits just right without the tensioner. SS’ing isn’t for everyone and has a lot to do with the terrain. It’s a good idea to pick a single gear & go for a ride first to see what it’s like. Simple as it sounds sometimes people discover that not having at least a few gears is more pain than it’s worth.

Thanks for the info, and the advice. I think I’ll go for a couple spins in a single gear to try it out. . . . we’ll see how it goes! 😆

Welcome, and I love your user name. That’s clever.. 😃

Hey man, welcome to the forum!

Good advice already posted above on the SS conversion.

😆 Haha thanks cynergy.

Thanks for the welcomes, guys.

Does your hardrock have the sliding dropouts? They only made them that way a few years I think…

If it does, converting to SS will be very easy. You wont need a tensioner.

Hmm, I’m not sure, I’d have to check out my bike when I get home.

It’s the 2010 hardrock, in case that helps.

If it’s this bike – http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBC … nuItemId=0

Then it doesn’t have the sliding dropouts, I think maybe the ’09s were the last ones that had them.

I’m working on putting together a blog post all about getting into single speeding, so be on the lookout for it! It may be a few weeks though, I’ve got some non-SS friends I’m going to get to ride my SS and get their impressions on it, and that’ll take a little time. These guys are all strong riders, and ride full suspension geared 26" wheeled bikes. It’ll be interesting to see what they think of a hardtail SS 29er! Part of the post will also cover how to convert a bike to SS.

Hahaha yep, that’s it. Oh well. . .

But I will definitely watch out for your blog post! Sounds like it’ll be really informative!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.