Hello from Charleston, WV

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hello all,

I’m a nooby mountain biker from Charleston WV. Armed with my recent purchase of my first real mountain bike (a 2009 Cannandale F5), i headed out to Kanawha State forest for my first single track experience. I had a great time, though my butt will have to get used to all this…

My girlfriend and i have been looking for a sport to get involved in together and a a former biker herself, i, of course, followed suit…

Thanks for all the great information in this site. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of your community.

Welcome to the site!

"gaber_771" wrote

Hello all,

I’m a nooby mountain biker from Charleston WV. Armed with my recent purchase of my first real mountain bike (a 2009 Cannandale F5), i headed out to Kanawha State forest for my first single track experience. I had a great time, though my butt will have to get used to all this…

My girlfriend and i have been looking for a sport to get involved in together and a a former biker herself, i, of course, followed suit…

Thanks for all the great information in this site. I look forward to becoming a contributing member of your community.

Welcome Gaber. Congratulations on the new bike. I hear the trails are pretty sweet at Kanawha SF. Your butt will get used to it – more or less, mine still aches at the end of a long day in the saddle. Well woth it for all the fun you have. 😆

Keep us posted on how its going. Again, welcome aboard.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone… I’m really looking forward to sharing info and meeting some riding partners!

Chillipepper, i have been to Snowshoe, however it was about 14 year ago. As i’m currently at the ripe old age of 24, so the emphasis at the time was a little different, as we can just say that i wasn’t very athletic at the time. Either way, i still remember it being a great time. I’m hoping to head up there for a weekend this fall… I spent my lunch break picking up a hitch-mount rack that will greatly ease the bike transportation…

I have been looking up trails in the area on this site the past couple of days, and there are several in the area i’m hoping to ride, and review for everyone else…

Thanks again!, and if you ever find yourself in WV, send me a PM and I can try to keep up!

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="gaber_771":1fuab3g9]ripe old age of 24

Now, thats toooo funny bro! Thanks for the chuckle. Yeah, that place is soooo happening bro, and the DH is the best lift access on the east coast. Thanks for the invite BTW![/quote:1fuab3g9]

Yea I like that ripe old age comment too hehe.

Gaber, hopefully Outdoornut will wander through this post sometime. He’s a great source of trail knowledge for West Virginia. Plus his ride reports are out of this world. Drop in on MTBR VA/WV/DE/MD for some regional 411 too, ODN and I are on there quite a bit too.

When you get some trail experience under your belt, Outdoornut and some of his buddies ride Slatyfork and Davis / Canaan Valley area a lot. Rocks Roots Moss and Mud pretty much somes it up. (RRMM N WV WELILB) Had a blast with those guys at Slatyfork last year.

Welcome, gaber. I was born in Charleston many (too many) years ago. My parents live in St Albans, and most of my other relatives are in/around Ronceverte/Lewisburg area. WV is a BEAUTIFUL state, but I’ve grown accustomed to low humidity and NO SNOW, so I doubt I will ever do more than visit. 😃

Lon

Welcome Gaber

I am new around here as well and so far I have found a lot of good info and help from the "Old Timers" 😆

ChiliPepper wrote:
      gaber_771 wrote:
      ripe old age of 24

Now, thats toooo funny bro! Thanks for the chuckle. Yeah, that place is soooo happening bro, and the DH is the best lift access on the east coast. Thanks for the invite BTW!

Do guys that young ride without training wheels???? 😆 😆

Just kidding, Welcome to the playground AND the addiction!

"eric-29er" wrote

Do guys that young ride without training wheels???? 😆 😆

Just kidding, Welcome to the playground AND the addiction!

Nope, i still have the training wheels… but i recently upgraded them. i went "big boy" this time and got the 29’ers… They have carbon attachment arms and full suspension…

Nope, i still have the training wheels… but i recently upgraded them. i went "big boy" this time and got the 29’ers… They have carbon attachment arms and full suspension…

Way cool, I should get me a pair of those. In my old age I have problems staying rubber down! Ah the circle of life!

Hey gaber, nice to see a fellow Mountaineer on the site !! I am from the Parkersburg area and we have a few nice trails close. Mountwood Park and North Bend State Park. Look at the reviews, they are very well maintained and something for everyone. Look me up and I will show you around. A couple of us ride every Wednesday and Sunday. The trails are only about an 1 1/2 hour trip from Charleston and you can pretty much ride all day. 😎

"rsb201" wrote

Hey gaber, nice to see a fellow Mountaineer on the site !! I am from the Parkersburg area and we have a few nice trails close. Mountwood Park and North Bend State Park. Look at the reviews, they are very well maintained and something for everyone. Look me up and I will show you around. A couple of us ride every Wednesday and Sunday. The trails are only about an 1 1/2 hour trip from Charleston and you can pretty much ride all day. 😎

Thanks very much for the initiation!!! I’ll send you a pm when i’m sure i have a weekend free and it’s not too wet on the trails. I’m looking forward to exploring a couple more trail systems this fall. 😃

Hello! My wife and I are brand new bikers from Eleanor, WV can’t wait to go ride Kanawha SF. We’re currently trying to find trails to start planning weekend get-a-ways.

We bought a 1 wheeled "BOB" Trailer to haul a 2-man Tent and Sleeping bag, as well as pannier for her bike for food and supplies. Do ya’ll happen to know of a trail within 1-2 hours of Charleston or Huntington that would be good for a 2Day/1Night trip with tent-camping for mountain bike?

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.