Hardtail -vs- FS

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hey I am new to mountain biking and I was hoping somebody could give me a few of the more technical pros and cons of the hardtails and full suspension bikes. Essentially the sum of my knowledge now is that hardtails tend to be light and a bit more efficient though FS bikes have a smoother rides and less wear on the rider.

hopefully I have that part right at least. 😀 any tips, info, ideas, are appreciated.

Actually you’ve pretty much nailed it right there. The rest is mostly personal preference.

I’ve seen people ride crazy stuff on hardtails, it’s just a matter of how much you have to absorb with your body. For example, I get tired a lot faster on a hardtail.

great thanks maddslacker that makes a lot of sense. Anyones personal preference would be very helpful to help make up for my lack of experience.

I’ve ridden both, and I LOVE my full suspension. However, I am in the process of researching to buy a 29er hardtail.

"maddslacker" wrote

I’ve ridden both, and I LOVE my full suspension. However, I am in the process of researching to buy a 29er hardtail.

Im with madd on this one cus I miss my hardtail and my rigid and I am itching to try out a 29er HT but the problem is this, if I like it I will want it so for that reason I have not riden a 29er..
      I rode my HT with guys who only rode FS bikes and bombed everything they did…
      For me riding my FS is more tiresome because I will try and throw it around a lot more then the HT so it makes for more work which = more fun and air time.. 😆 😆 😆 😆

"BUDDAH" wrote

[quote="maddslacker":i6dbpz5z]I’ve ridden both, and I LOVE my full suspension. However, I rode my HT with guys who only rode FS bikes and bombed everything they did…
      For me riding my FS is more tiresome because I will try and throw it around a lot more then the HT so it makes for more work which = more fun and air time.. 😆 😆 😆 😆

[/quote:i6dbpz5z]

I ride a hard tail and all of my riding buddies ride FS, and two of those are 29ers. I do take more of a beating, but I ride everything they ride (and more, sometimes) and am usually the lead rider. Oh, I’m also the oldest one in the bunch.

I think my bike is more "quick and nimble" than theirs, but they certainly have their advantages. At some point, I’ll probably pull the trigger on a FS (FS 29er?) just so my old body can get a break and I can keep riding into old age…

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.