GPS help/ suggestions

Tagged: ,

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Hey all,

Been reading most of the posts re: GPS and need some more advice.

Looking at purchasing a GPS in the near future, mostly to track my rides and view distance, altitude, etc. You know, the stuff you use a GPS for. I have my eyes set on the Garmin Edge 805. (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=160&pID=69043)

The problem is, champagne taste on a beer budget. Good beer, mind you, but still beer.

Is the 805 worth the money? I should mention I don’t own a standard bike computer as my phone had been doing all the work but, lately…well…it’s tired and needs to be put down. Something out there that does just as good a job without breaking the bank or should I just go with it? I came across 2 reviews (Bike Magazine and Singletracks UK) which says it’s the bees knees.

Thanks!

The Edge 800 is a great device, and with it’s small size and mapping capability you can use it for other things like hiking, kayking, camping, etc. I’m planning on getting one for Christmas, if one doesn’t arrive for my birthday 😃

If you shop around (*cough*ebay) you can find the head unit for around $350, and then add the heart rate monitor or cadence sensor later if you decide you need those.

Also, if you’re an REI member, watch for your periodic 20% off coupon.

Here’s to hoping one arrives for you soon rather than later!!

I have checked some online vendors but I am leery of buying from there since it is a pricey piece of electronics. If it fails or something gets bunged up, there’s no telling what will happen. I was looking at LL Bean (since I live minutes from the flagship store) and their price is pretty competitive.

Does it make sense to own a smaller bike computer in addition to this?

"maineskiaddict" wrote

Does it make sense to own a smaller bike computer in addition to this?

The Edge 800 *is* a bike computer…

Sorry, I meant a simple cycling tool like the Sigma BC 1009 or something of that ilk. Seems redundant to have both but so many guys I see out there do.

No seriously, the Edge series of Garmins are in essence bike computers…that also have the GPS features.

Running a sigma or cateye or whatever in conjunction with one would be like wearing full finger cycling gloves with fingerless gloves over them.

"maddslacker" wrote

Running a sigma or cateye or whatever in conjunction with one would be like wearing full finger cycling gloves with fingerless gloves over them.

This is what I was getting at. I figured as much and never understood why I saw guys running both.

Their GPS units may be older models that don’t have the cycling functions included.

If you are running on a champagne budget, take a look at the Vista HCx. It is about to be phased out for a newer, prettier, and faster line but I have been using one for about 3 months and couldn’t be happier. Because of the phase out, prices have been dropping. Got one used, looks brand new, for $115. Have seen new ones going for $215 from reputable companies online. It does everything you mentioned you were looking for except it doesn’t act as a cycling computer. Like you mentioned, you can buy a wireless cycling computer for about $75 that will take care of the rest if you really decide you want to start training. I haven’t gotten a chance to put my hands on the newer line of Etrex that will be replacing them but I honestly can’t think of many other options I would use. Great satellite reception too. Locked onto 6 sats within 3 seconds when I turned it on inside of the local REI.

I use the Vista HCx too. If you didn’t need stuff like heart- or gear-rate on it, it’s a great GPS.

"maineskiaddict" wrote

If it fails or something gets bunged up, there’s no telling what will happen

My Garmin failed during the warranty and I got a new one fron their support within 5 days from the 1st contact.

"maddslacker" wrote

No seriously, the Edge series of Garmins are in essence bike computers…that also have the GPS features.

Yes, except for one thing. The meassurement of the lenght is more accurat with a cycling computer, since a Sigma (i.e.) count every rotation of the wheel to measure the way you rode, but a GPS calculates from waypoint to waypoint

"ollysj" wrote

Yes, except for one thing. The meassurement of the lenght is more accurat with a cycling computer, since a Sigma (i.e.) count every rotation of the wheel to measure the way you rode, but a GPS calculates from waypoint to waypoint

If you get the optional accessory bundle with the Garmin units, it comes with a real speed sensor, just like sigma et al.

Didn’t knew this, but I guess it won’t work with my Vista 😢

I have a Garmin 60CSX and love it. Just wish it could have the ghost rider so I can see if I am doing better on the trail while I am riding.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.