Garmin GPSMap 60Cx

Tagged: 

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I just got my first color screen GPS a couple weeks ago and I’m dying to get out on the trail to try it out! I also bought the MapSource Topo software and I’ve been playing around with it – adding tracks, sending maps to the GPS, etc. It’s amazing how much better suited this GPS is to navigating than any other the other units I’ve used (eTrex, Edge, Explorist).

One question for others who may have a GPSMap unit: is is possible to use rechargeable batteries? I mean, I know I could buy batteries and a charger but if you buy the Garmin batteries will they charge when you connect the GPS to your computer or car plug?

Once I get a couple rides in with the GPS I’ll be posting detailed reviews on the blog and gear review section…

There’s a great Yahoo group for this GPS unit:

[url:1lelz34y]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Garmin_GPSMap_60Cx_60CSx/[/url:1lelz34y]

I run it alongside my Edge 305 the first time I’m on a trail, just to find my way around, but the Edge records a better track (tighter and more points along the route)

[url:1lelz34y]http://flickr.com/photos/jcapell/1222639754/in/set-72157601508547605/[/url:1lelz34y]

Rechargable batteries: Yes. (there is a menu selection to specify that you are using rechargables) But the unit itself will not charge the batteries (external chargers only)

JC

Yeah, that’s what I figured about the batteries. Would be nice if the GPS would charge the batteries for you…

Nice map of Swayback on your Flickr, did you create that yourself?

http://flickr.com/photos/jcapell/130483 … 508547605/

"jcapell" wrote

I run it alongside my Edge 305 the first time I’m on a trail, just to find my way around, but the Edge records a better track (tighter and more points along the route)

How does your Edge and MAP60 tracks compare? Are they close in terms of distance? From time to time, I think my Edge inflates my distance. Been thinking about getting a cyclocomputer just to compare.

"GreenGiant" wrote

How does your Edge and MAP60 tracks compare? Are they close in terms of distance? From time to time, I think my Edge inflates my distance. Been thinking about getting a cyclocomputer just to compare.

Haven’t made many comparisons, but I will next time I’m out and see what they show. If anything, on a curvy track, the edge should be closer to the actual length (and will show slightly longer distances) due to a denser point recording (fewer ‘corners cut’ with a closer curve fit)

Since the distance each unit records is ‘point-to-point-to-point’ I would think that on a mostly straight line, the length should be the same.

Since a wheel is subject to slippage on a dirt track, I’ll always trust my GPSs more than a cyclocomputer.

Just wondering why you opted for the 60Cx instead of the 60CSx? It is a matter of opinion, but I find the elevation information useful in gauging my performance and as a training goal. The compass is also a neat additional function and can come in handy at times.

Don’t misread my comments, you’ve got a great GPS in terms of accuracy, ruggedness and reliability. The CSx just has a few extra doo dads on there, but your Cx has the same electronics where it really matters.

The reason I picked the 60Cx over the 60CSx was totally based on price – the 60Cx was $50 cheaper (or, put another way, 20%!).

I can do without the compass since this is only helpful when you’re trying to orient yourself while standing still (as long as you’re moving the 60Cx can give you NSEW directions).

In terms of the elevation info I have to admit I didn’t realize the 60Cx didn’t show a plot of this. I mean, it still records elevation data (albeit not as accurate as the data from the 60CSx w/ barometric altimeter) but why can’t I get a plot on screen? Garmin is pretty stingy with the elevation plot screen which is frustrating since you have to wait until you get home to view your elevation plot on the computer. I ran into the same thing with the Forerunner 205 – despite the fact that marketing materials show a simulated elevation plot screen on the 205 – the screen doesn’t exist!

Overall the 60Cx is a good GPS though I rarely (if ever) take it biking. My Edge 305 has me covered on the trail 😀

"trek7k" wrote

Overall the 60Cx is a good GPS though I rarely (if ever) take it biking. My Edge 305 has me covered on the trail

Hmm . . . Color me green with GPS envy! I gotta make do with just one GPS. Sigh . . . people are gonna laugh at me 😢

Actually, I started using the 60CSx for geocaching, then when cycle fever hit me, it seemed like a natural adaptation. I really would like a few of the bicycle specific features offered by the higher end Edge series, but I get enough information from the unit I do have to set up a training log with goals I can compare, i.e. how far, how high, avg speed, maximums and minimums, etc.

Maybe when that next REI dividend shows up . . . Better start practicing now "Oh that thing, honey? Yeah, I had that for a while. It’s so old and I just got it fixed, that’s why you never saw it before." 😀

Ya, I guess you could say I’m a little obsessed ;)

My current collection includes:
      Edge 305
      GPSMap 60Cx
      Magellan eXplorist 400
      Forerunner 205
      eTrex Vista

Units I’ve owned in the past:
      eTrex (yellow)
      Edge 205
      Magellan eXplorist 200

Plus I tested the Edge 605 for about a month as well. Just print this list out for your wife and say see… at least I won’t have FIVE GPS units ;)

I was seriously considering picking up the Garmin Oregon 300 or 400t it has a very large screen for its size as well it is touch screen…I can’t wait till my wife lets me pick one up.

LOL have to here it from here…..First .."Mom can i buy this??" Now "Hunnn can i buy this??" …

how little things change

Ok, Im about to jump in and buy my first unit, Ive pretty much decided on the Garmin 60CSx. I had been recommended a few others including the ‘bike specific’ models but after reading lot of reviews, for me they aren’t worth the extra money for the few extra features they include. I also want to use the unit for other activities such as hiking and skiing (maybe even street directions) and this unit will work best I believe. The larger size of the unit itself may turn others away from it but I don’t see myself mounting it on my handlebars, I crash way too much and something that expensive should be kept in a much safer place!
      So far I have just been researching online and things may get confusing as I actually go to a store (oh no…) but so far I like this unit unless someone has a definite reason not to buy it- ? :?:
      As this thread is almost 5 months old and technology stuff like this changes so fast Im sure I will have a lot of questions about the software / mapping end of it when that time comes. Thank you to everyone that has taken the time to post about their experiences with these units as this forum has made an incredibly hard decision almost easy, kind of.
      😎

AK Dan,

I just got my 60csx last night. I did the online research for about 1 month and decided on the csx. I wanted it primarily for mtb tracks, but I also wanted something I could use in the car on vacations or to find the next mtb trail head.

For now I’m just using the very, very spartan base maps. In a month or so I plan on buying the TOPO USA.

After one whole day of familiarization I can say I made the right choice. The chip set is very sensitive and locks on quick even with a canopy, bridge or in a building. It’s fairly straight forward and easy to work. I also got the handle bar mount (lots of xc fun miles here) and car power cord.

A couple of pointers. The catch with the garmin is that their mapping software is proprietary. Only maps in their format will work which means you need to buy their pricey maps. I hear there are programs to do convert maps to use but I haven’t spent much time on it.

The second is to get the larger storage card. Garmin’s site and other stated it will only accept a 2gb card. I have a 4gb scandisk microSD running in mine. I have transferred tracks to and from the unit and displayed the track on the unit so at least my 60csx with software version 3.70 will work with at least a 4gb card. Garmin’s whole topo USA is about 1.6gb according to other posters.

Dig pretty hard on the online prices, I found huge differences in prices for these units. Even big online seller’s prices fluxuated as much as $50 on any given day.

We have a three day weekend of riding coming up so I will report back!

Dan Check out the Garmin Oregon i was thinking of the 60 as well but this unit does everything the 60 but with touch screen and the screen is much bigger, there is also a nice handlebar mount option. Check it out…I am planning on getting one. I am working out a deal with a supplier over seas to see if i get a good deal. Anyhow check out the Garmin Oregon 300 I think its worth a look….No buttons, and a compact unit.

Cheers

Check out this software site I was turned on to-
      http://topofusion.com/

Designed by a mountianbiker, check out his blog/diary

"AK_Dan" wrote

Check out this software site I was turned on to-
      http://topofusion.com/

Designed by a mountianbiker, check out his blog/diary

I’ll second that – TopoFusion is the best software for mapping and managing your GPS data. Look for a review of the latest version of TopoFusion coming soon to the blog…

I got Topofusion and never use it.

ExpertGPS is my choice.

Prolly cause I used it first and can use it better for what I need.

Edit to add:

I recall now why I got Topofusion. Used to be that ExpertGPS couldn’t "make" a elevation profile unless you had downloaded GPS Tracks in which the elevation data was embedded. Topofusion had a feature that made this elevation profile with a track you simply drew into their software. And the final product looked very similar (visually) to the elevation profile made by ExpertGPS when the elevation data was in the track line.

ExpertGPS has now added that feature.

The one feature that is bogus on both software packages is the total feet gained. When I ride a local trail with my polar monitor w/ elevation (model 710?) and a Garmin 60CSX, I get what are pretty similar total ascents. For around here it is usually about 50-100 feet per mile traveled depending on the trail ridden. The races I’ve done (ORAMM, SM 100) I get pretty close to what the promoter advertises as the total climbing. But if I simply drew the trackline and then asked Topofusion or ExpertGPS what the total climbing is it turns in at least twice of what the Garmin or Polar units tell me.

I’ll give an example. At FATS, the original 4 loops are about 26 miles of riding. I’ve done this ride countless times and get about 1700′ of climbing every time. Depending on the weather (barametric pressure) it could vary from 1640-1740. But I decided it was 1700 as that was the number I got closest to most of the time.

Now look at the FATS info on this site. Aprox 5400 feet of elevation for the 26 miles is reported. No way. That is Pisgah NF like numbers, not Sumter NF like numbers. Pisgah has mtns and is 2000-6000 feet above sea level. FATS has no mtns and is 200-600 feet above sea level. The only way that 5400 number was gotten was via a drawn track line into a GPS software program that told you what the total elevation gain was. This data is bogus and no way accurate.

Now I think the elevation profile generated by that software would look like the real thing, but no way does the original 4 loops at FATS climb 5400 feet, unless you rode them three times.

Here’s the report from the weekend ride with the 60csx. I started the unit up with a new set of alkaline batteries when it arrived Wednesday night and played with it some everyday until our rides. I had the screen brightness on max the whole time.

Saturday morning my son and I hit both East side trails at Lake McMurtry. I had the 60 mounted up on the bars with Garmin’s mount. It mounts up tight and solid. Due to the thick bars on the Trance X2 I mounted it just inboard of my right shifter. At first I didn’t think I was going to like so far out but after using it, I like it there. Even on rough trails I can reach in with my thumb and work the buttons without letting go of the bar.

I did loop the carrying strap around the bars "just in case". Glad I did. 20′ into the ride it popped off. I clipped it back in and it rode there the rest of the weekend. We rode 50 miles over the three days and it never came out again. I feel confident that I didn’t have it clipped in correctly the first time.

With the 60 mounted up close to the right grip I was able to work all the buttons and access the menus even while riding. Even though it was sunny out and I was wearing pretty dark sunglasses I could still see the screen fairly well on the move.

Both trails have trees and ravines through out. In some places the trees are thick enough and ravines deep enough to block most of the sky. The 60 never missed a beat.

On Sunday we rode the SW trail at McMurtry; again with thick trees and deep ravines it worked and tracked perfect.

I uploaded the gpx files to singletracks. There’s been many trail revisions due to erosion from the version posted in 2005. I will ride and upload the NW trail soon as possible. It was changed some about 1 month ago as well.

After the Lake McMurtry ride the 1st set batteries showed about 1/3 power left so I changed them out for new ones. Overall I was impressed with the battery life since I messed with the unit quite a bit.

Monday morning we met up at the Tulsa Riverparks south end. We rode the paved trail which has mostly open sky. Again the 60 hummed along plotting our course with no complaints.

Due to an unusual incident I did noticed something pretty cool about the sensitivity of the altimeter. On the way back about 5 miles from the vehicles one of the guys hit a stick that some how sheared his rear detailer off. Remember, we are on a manicured path in town.

We started walking out and talking about how we could push him back to the cars when we lucked across an old tie down laying next to the curb. We grabbed it up and quickly hooked it onto my pack strap. The strap was about 10′ long. After a slow start we were chuggin’ along at 8 or 10 miles an hour and getting lots of funny looks. While towing another biker you become acutely aware of even small elevation changes. After a while I noticed I could predict subtle elevation changes coming up just before the extra mass of towed my buddy hit it. When the 60 showed the elevation move up I would lean into the peddles a little harder just before he hit the change. It was something to focus on while keeping the peddles moving.

I have tracked with my HTC-8925 phone with some success. (see Robbers Cave and Roman Nose on this site). Loss of signal in ravines and under a canopy plus short battery life sent me in search of a real GPS unit.

This 60 has it all covered plus its waterproof and has a great mount system!

What would I change? Well, I would have liked a choice of blingy colors! Barring that, as I stated before, the catch with Garmin is the added cost of maps since they are proprietary. I was able to find a third party street map that works ok but I’m going to ante up on the topo maps since I bought the 60 for bikin’!!

I’ve had the 60CSx for several years now and love it. Most of my comments have already been stated by previous posters, so I’ll be brief.

Regarding the track resolution mentioned above, there is a setting on the tracks page to adjust the sampling frequency. At the max, it shows almost every nuance of pretty tight switchbacks.

The garmin branded bar mounts LOOK flimsy, or prone to popouts, but I’ve yet to have mine unclip – even with some pretty good spills. I do of course loop the lanyard just in case, but thus far it hasn’t been necessary.

The unit is quite rugged. Mine has survived a couple of dunks during botched fordings. (south fork of Eagle River, AK_DAN?…) and although very well scarred up, has taken all of my (all to frequent) spills in stride. The rubber covering the antenna housing is getting pretty mangled, but other than that it’s still functional. I’ve been lucky not to scratch the screen too badly thus far.

In terms of a biking unit, I have nothing negative to say. (I don’t care about the lack of cadence sensors that some units have)
      As a general navigation unit on roads, it’s not the best, but:
      1) It’s not designed for car navigation (screen size, cosmetics)
      2) The misturns it suggests (San Diego to Campo via mexico?) are mostly a function of the topo maps I have loaded. When loaded with the streets versions that include the routing hints, it reportedly performs admirably.

Yep, after watching the unit on Amazon for a few weeks the price never varied more than about $20. I hit the ‘Buy Me’ button two days ago and am anxiouslly awaiting its arrival in my mailbox. Im doing very little riding around town now but in April I plan to spend 3 weeks in about 6 different states and plan on giving the unit a full testing at that point.

Thanks everyone for the sharing your experiences with this unit, Im pretty stoked and sure that I made a good choice for what I need. 😃

AK Dan,

Have you had a chance to try out the 60?

Give us a shake down report!

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.