Front Shock

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I am new to riding and in awfull shape but that is another subject, i have what looks to be grease on the front shock where it slides is this normal, it does not leak or get everywhere, i bet this is a stupid question but want to make sure it not a problem 😎

I am looking for a sponser, i am currently speaking to Krispy Kreme and Del Taco

Remember share the road with out of shape riders 😉

What kind of fork is it that you have. For some forks that have elastomers as a spring a bit of grease is normal….

I have a Diamondback with spinner/edge shocks, also is it ok that i hang the bike upside down on hooks in my garage?

Thanks for the info.

I am asking this because of the shocks, meaning will the grease leak out :?:

It shouldn’t effect the bike hanging it upside down that fork has a coil spring in it and i believe it wouldn’t be effected. As far as the grease it is there to lube the stachions.

Thank You

I am also new to the world of mountainbike shocks. (and also out of shape) I got my first one yesterday, and took it out today for a test ride. I also noticed alot of grease comming out onto the shock shafts, where there was none before. The fork says "RST GLIA PRO" and its on a K2 Oshmans bike. (Ya, I know… only good for cheap skates like me 😀

Is this an excessive amount of grease for 1-2 hours of riding?
      Does this grease have to be replaced after so many hours of running the bike?

Welcome Sheldon to singletracks,it’s as addictive as riding itself alot of times.

Is this an excessive amount of grease for 1-2 hours of riding?
      Does this grease have to be replaced after so many hours of running the bike?

Yes that is excessive oil on your fork stantion,although the bike is brand new and new forks will purge excessive oil when first ridden somtimes.Now there might be somthin wrong with it as well,but the amount on the stantion looks normal for being brand new.Is the fork acting normal when you ride it?If your afraid it might not be safe,deffinately take it back in to your LBS and show them what has happened,you dont want to guess wether or not that fork is working properly,it not only supports you and the bike but it steers you as well and could cause an accident while riding if not working right.
      Let us know,and I’m sure there will more advice from other more singletrack members as well to give you an opinion of your situation.
      By the way,that’s a really nice and descriptive pic to observe your situation so we can all see exactly whats goin on with your fork.Good job.
      As far as replacing the oil in the fork and shock,yes it should be replaced by manufactures reccomendations,I think about once a year to keep it working in top condition.

Hey steve,

Thanks for the greeting and info. I sure hope nothings wrong with it sinse its a new bike. I know its a low end machine anyway so the problems will surely come. (good excuse to upgrade right?) Although, I did notice that I’m MUCH faster on the trails with this bike than my old bike with no shocks. I got slower on the street, but faster on the dirt. I had a blast and I know what you mean about addiction!

Thanks!

Welcome…Looking at that photo that is just a bit of excessive packaging grease and not fork oil just wipe it off and your good.

Cheers

(good excuse to upgrade right?)

Now here’s where ya gotta think about it a little bit,hahahahaha,you can either upgrade as stuff breaks or wears out,or you can start saving to upgrade the whole bike somtime in the near future.I wanted the best bike I could get my hands on when I bought my first full suspension and couldnt afford what I wanted right off the bat so I put some money down on the one I wanted and put it in lay a way,it took a little while and a little bit of patience but I got it paid off and have been riding it for about a year now or so.
      I have upgraded some things on my bike and look to make a couple more upgrades somtime this summer maby,maby over the winter,I dont know yet,I still want to build an all out ridged bike with no suspension as well,ahhhh the addiction continues.hahahahaha.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.