Fridays Ride – 2010 Slatyfork Shuffle

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

As a follow-up to the Thursday Slatyfork ride post, here’s a ride report on Friday’s adventure.

Gathering up the goods at the overlook on Scenic Highway 150

Into the woods on Gauley Mountain Trail

First break at the top of Red Run

At least one clown in this picture, left to right Hecklerboy, CCR, and Outdoornut

Another dry stretch of Gauley Mountain trail

Onto Bear Pen trail, my personal favorite (along with Kennison Mountain)

Some really tight spots along Bear Pen makes rock navigation tricky

The Bear Pen climb

Hecklerboy (on his non-Heckler steed) can still ride the rocks

Outdoornut carving his way through Bear pen
      Davis at a creek crossing
      Most of us did not make it across that one dry.

Deep dark forest near the top of Boundary

Davis at the top of Boundary

CaptPhun taking a break at the Boundary overlook

Taking a break before tackling Turkey Point
      Closing in on camp

The carnage began up here. There were several crashes on this rocky ridgetop on Turkey Point. I walked the 1/8 of a mile or so rock garden.

This was a brutal trail. At the very top was a really cool stretch of spruce forest with fun switchbacks and multiple lines. Then the rock garden. Then it got steep and wet.

That’s were the fun ended for me. As the saying goes, it’s steeper than it looks in the picture (below) – and it really is. I took a bad line and ended up on the left side of that log lying parallel to and in the trail. I immediately realized I screwed up and the last thing I remember was tapping the brakes trying to stop. I had no idea my Blur could fly so well upside down. Unfortunately, the rider did not fare as well as the bike. I came down hard on my left hand and rib cage. Thankfully Hecklerboy and ODN heard my yells and waited. After a bone check, I was able to limp out of the woods on the last mile or so of the ride.

I guess it’s all part of the adventure and it won’t be the first time I’ve injured ribs in the name of fun. 😆

CCR – Looks like a wet and rocky, gnarly good time. Sorry to hear about your mishap though. Recover soon and get back out there.

"fleetwood" wrote

CCR – Looks like a wet and rocky, gnarly good time. Sorry to hear about your mishap though. Recover soon and get back out there.

Thanks. It was a lot of fun, except for that crash thingy. Probably be off the bike at least another week. Still pretty sore.

That looks like a great ride, thanks for the pics!

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":gp6aqtr7]CCR – Looks like a wet and rocky, gnarly good time. Sorry to hear about your mishap though. Recover soon and get back out there.

Thanks. It was a lot of fun, except for that crash thingy. Probably be off the bike at least another week. Still pretty sore.[/quote:gp6aqtr7]

How’s the recovery? I took a hard fall caused by a slippery root last Sunday. Banged up my knee and shoulder pretty good. I’m feeling okay now, but I felt it for a couple days for sure.

Fleetwood, getting better slowly. Rode greenways Friday and Saturday. I’m going to try some mild singletrack today – maybe Explore Park since it has a lot of bailouts. Seems like I break or crack a rib every 5 years or so, usually skiing. First one mountain biking – hopefully the last one. 😆

Outdoornut did a fine job on his video from the Friday Slatyfork Shuffle. I don’t think he would mind me posting it up here.

http://vimeo.com/14095132

Makes me want to go back.

Wow, that looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

"fleetwood" wrote

Wow, that looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Fleetwood. Did you catch my not ready for prime time creek crossing on the video (the second creek). Had good momemtum going in and ran out of gas. Sort of like Davis did here:

Hecklerboys wheelie on video was pretty cool. On camera, his creek crossing was classic.

Isn’t have the fun of group riding laughing at your friends when they screw up – and sucking it up when you do haha. No Paparazzi was present during my crash. It would probably be an instant case of “don’t try this at home” (or anywhere else) 😆

I don’t recall from the video. I’ll have to watch again. That last photo is great. Looks like he stopped for a drink. Looks refreshing!

I just checked out the video again and saw your crossing. Not too bad. At least you didn’t end up face down in it like your buddy.

I recall you saying you guys did about 20 miles (in another thread?). It seems like a lot of the video is fairly slow-going terrain. How long did it take you guys to complete?

"fleetwood" wrote

I just checked out the video again and saw your crossing. Not too bad. At least you didn’t end up face down in it like your buddy.

I recall you saying you guys did about 20 miles (in another thread?). It seems like a lot of the video is fairly slow-going terrain. How long did it take you guys to complete?

I think we went 20 miles on Thursday. I think Fridays was 15 or less, and we were all whooped. The other guys were planning on riding Saturday and none of them did. I limped around FloydFest for the next two days. There was quite a bit of hike-a-bike on Boundary and Turkey Point trails.

Great pics and video! The temps here in East Texas have finally dipped back down into double digits and I’m ready to go at it

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.