Freezing fork!?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I vowed to ride through the winter this year. I have everything I need to keep me warm now, so today was my first cold weather ride at about 38 degrees. Not bitter cold, but enough to let me know there’s a reason I’m wearing a jacket and shoe covers. About 20 minutes into the ride, I thought my Rock Shox Dart 3 was set for lock out, as the front end was feeling kind of stiff. I checked it twice, it was open, but the compression wasn’t there. After I got home, and the bike was inside for a while, I checked the shock, and it was normal. Then I thought it must be the cold weather. Sure enough, I read several reviews of the Dart 3 on MTBR, that claimed the fork freezes up in the cold temps. Some suggested changing out the oil to a different weight to remedy the problem. I’m not looking to go through all that. I know it’s a lower end fork, but up until today, it’s always worked fine for me. Is this something that happens with a lot of shocks in the cold temps? Or is it unique to the Dart 3? Other than replacing the shock, is there anything I can do to prevent this?

absolutely the cold effects shocks. I rode all winter too last year and was constantly adjusting it. I have a Fox Talas.

I am happy I live in Arizona and do not have this problem, as I have a Dart 3 on a hardtail, and a Talas on my FS…

My Marzocchi MX Comp oil/coil works pretty much the same regardless of temp. Not sure why, but I’ll just go with it.

when i was ridding through snow in the recent cold spell in the UK (fun by the way) the triad 2 was alot softer then normal, at first i thought i had just put weight on but once the air in the shock warmed up it was fine.

I have that problem with my Dart 2. Not so bad that it feels like it’s locked out, but still not as smooth

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.