Freewheel cassette,how to replace?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Do I need a chain wrench to hold the sprockets still while I use a spanner wrench to loosen the small collar on the outside?

I destroyed my bearings and the freewheel has locked up.

Normally, you need a cassette lockring removal tool, a wrench to fit onto it, AND a chainwhip (chain wrench) to do the job. The type of cassette removal tool will depend on your cassette brand but most cassettes use one that looks like a circle with 12 splines (teeth) on it.

Check this page out for more detail…

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

BTW, most newer bikes actually use a freehub rather than a freewheel. Basically, a freehub is a cassette that slides onto the hub where a freewheel actually screws onto the hub.

If you have a freehub on your bike, the pawls on the inside that allow the wheel to spin freely when coasting but catch when pedaling may actually be the culprit of your problem rather than the bearings in the hub. More than a few of us have run into this problem over the years.

For info on how to service them…
      http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=44

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Nah Goose, he has the freewheel. Well, unless my bro got him self another bike.

I should have known better than to assume he had one over the other. 😳 How’s that old saying go about the word [i:1yrl5nd2]ASSUME[/i:1yrl5nd2]. Something like, "when you assume you only make an ASS out of U and ME." Oh well, hopefully the ass part just falls on me this time around and I didn’t cause you to waste too much time, Galaxy.

Yeah,it is unfortunately a Wal-Mart XC style Mongoose,nothing newer yet but I ride it as hard as I can,haha.I’ve swapped rear wheels with Shonna’s old bike so I’m still currently riding but I’d like to fix this one as it is nice and true for now.

Thanks for the links,I’ll check those out and this may be a good excuse to buy tools,which I never have a problem with. 😆

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.