found a bike?

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

i think i might have finally found a bike. i found a iron horse maverick 1.2 listed for $135 used, if i bought it i could do upgrades. i also found a gary fisher "opie" for $200 used. what do you think i should buy. or should i just get a brand new trek 820 for my first bike? let me know what you think. thanks

Just go to Walmart. They have lots of bikes… Just kidding.
      From the little reading I’ve done, a Gary Fisher is good. Never heard of the iron horse. You mention nothing about condition of either bike or any modifications or add-ons.

"INDIANADAVE" wrote

Just go to Walmart. They have lots of bikes… Just kidding.
      From the little reading I’ve done, a Gary Fisher is good. Never heard of the iron horse. You mention nothing about condition of either bike or any modifications or add-ons.

both of the bikes are in good condition. i think i want the gary fisher most though. here’s a link for the fisher.

http://athensga.craigslist.org/bik/1691520681.html

that Gary Fisher looks nice, but since its a large frame you need be at least 5’9" for the bike to be comfortable if your not that tall but close ask the seller if you can go check out the bike and take it for a test ride to see if its a good fit.

as for the Iron Horse i dont know anything about that specific model, i tried to do some research and saw only bad reviews so i would probably not buy that bike, but as the Fisher goes if its a good fit i would try to get it

"trailrider247" wrote

that Gary Fisher looks nice, but since its a large frame you need be at least 5’9" for the bike to be comfortable if your not that tall but close ask the seller if you can go check out the bike and take it for a test ride to see if its a good fit.

as for the Iron Horse i dont know anything about that specific model, i tried to do some research and saw only bad reviews so i would probably not buy that bike, but as the Fisher goes if its a good fit i would try to get it

i’m about 5’11 so the bike should fit. i’ve rode a cheap bike a few times and already feel like it doesn’t do its job. so i think i’m going to look at the fisher asap. thanks for your help.

also i have a question about shoes. i don’t really like riding with my air max’s and don’t really know the differences between all of the choice’s. can someone help me out with this problem?

thanks for the info. i think i’m going to look into the shoe thing some more though. but i will have to deal with what i have for tomorrow since i want to ride. crappy gear isn’t going to stop me. (it might slow me down though)

i agree that 5.10’s are awesome shoes for flats and i wish i had a pair, i just rock the old style waffle grip pattern Vans with some Crank Brother 5050xx pedals, i was looking more into the New Greg Minnar shoe from 5.10 and Competitve Cyclist is having a pre sale for the shoe if i was going to rock some CB Mallets i think i would try to get that shoe but at the price for the Greg Minnar’s i would probably get the SixSixOne Filter shoes or the SPD shoes from Shimano instead 😃

Theres always resoles available:

http://fiveten.com/products/accessories … kit-deluxe

I’ve resoled other shoes but think it might be cool to "enhance" some mtn bike shoes with a little dot tread! 😎

they sold the gary fisher 😢
      o well i guess i’ll use my crappy bike a little longer…really didn’t have the money anyways.

hey, i might go buy this bike today if i can get some info about it. the bike is a 2001 trek 4300. it’s in good condition and the guy wants $200 for it. is this a good deal or is the price to high. is there any upgrades i could do for cheap?

i dont really know of any cheap upgrades you could do with that bike, but i really think that bike should cost a little less than $200, i mean its 9yrs old and cost $350 brand new in 2001, now if it had some upgrades done i could see paying that but if its still stock i think i would keep looking, and maybe save up a couple more hundred dollars and get a Specialized Hardrock Disc, GT Avalanche 3.0 disc, Mongoose Tyax Sport, Trek 3900 Disc i understand that your budget might be tight but the new bikes i just mentioned will have most of the upgrades done that you would want to do to that bike and at cheaper cost than if you bought lets say disc brakes and the new wheels or hubs you would need to mount the rotors, the disc brakes are about $100 for some mechanicals and your looking at about $150 or more for a wheelset or hubs, but i would honestly keep looking for a different bike and just pass that one up, you could try to go to http://www.performancebike.com and check out some of thier entry level bikes, i think they have some good deals on bikes right now

the bike has upgraded clipless pedals but thats it. also i looked at performance bikes and saw a GT. is it still a respectable brand?

I’m going to agree with trailrider247, pass on this one. If you can hold out and save up what you would be paying for upgrades you can get a new ride with what you are looking for as an intro. I do ride a 4300 (2009) disc right now and I love it… but to upgrade a 2001 it will cost you, and I’m not even sure they have brackets to switch over to disc brakes.

What are you riding right now?

right now i’m riding a no name bike. it’s falling apart. maybe i’ll wait until i see by check friday and see how much i have. the guy with the trek did say i could have it for $175 if i can get it tomorrow.

yeah the GT’s are good bikes, the Avalanche frame and the Zaskar frame are the best hardtail frames they make according to what the sales guy told me at Performance, most of the guys i meet on the trail that have a GT say they love it and the few ive ridden felt really solid, as for the Trek your looking at clipless pedals isnt much of a upgrade to justify the price hes selling the bike for, now if he upgrade the bike to disc brakes i could see paying that price, or if he at least swapped out the fork for a higher quality suspension fork which is almost any suspension fork out their on the market today, but if your looking at those GT’s and you have some money to throw down on a decent one go that route instead of getting that Trek

2001 gary fisher hoo koo e koo in great condition. good bike or no?

the Gary Fisher is a good bike, but quick question, is it the disc version or the v-brake version, if its the disc and the bike fits i would get it, but if its the v-brake version i would look into getting disc brakes for the bike, as that would be one of the best upgrades you could do to that bike off the bat, the disc upgrade will probably cost about $300 if you can get a good deal on wheels and brakes

I can vouch for the GT Avy 3.0 cus thats what im riding right now, i got the 09 model used for 350 from my LBS and im actually looking to sell that, not for any bad reason but because i can get a good deal for the 2010 GT 1.0 Avy which comes with a better fork, hydraulic brakes and slightly better shimano components but all in all i love GT’s, been riding them since the mid 90’s and my wife actully rocks a GT as well. You can get good deals and sometimes great deals at you LBS specially right now cus almost all the LBS’s got clearance sales going on…………….. 😎

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.