Fork me…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I could use some help in selecting a fork for my Intense. I just bought the bike from a friend, and need to upgrade the fork. Currently it has a Sherman Manitou, but with my weight (295) I am looking for an upgrade. I found two on beyondbikes.com (a Rock Shox 318 IS (180mm) coil black ’07 and a Marzocchi 1 SL ATA) that are less than $600, which is what I’m willing to shell out at this point. Thanks !!

Sorry I didn’t get to your earlier questions on these two forks…. So lemme double check.

You got that Intense Uzzi SLX ’03 from your friend…. PM sending about that.

The first fork is a Marz’ All-Mountain 1 SL-ATA @ $489. Good fork, quick-release 20mm thru-axle, ATA & TST adjustment range, 120-160mm travel.

The other fork is a RockShox Domain 318IS @ $564?. This one, I’ve never seen or ridden up close, but I have read some good and bad about it…. Lemme do some research for a second. Be right back!

Your Uzzi has a high bottom bracket, and Marzocchi forks have a tall AtC (axle-to-crown) height as compared to other fork manufacturers.
      Sticking a non-travel adjustable Marzocchi fork on it will make it really difficult to keep your BB height managable while still being able to have some seatpost extended so you can ride the climbs.
      If all you’ll be doing is ladder skinnies, drops, N. Shore type freeriding, then having a slammed seatpost & tall BB would be ok.
      The AM1 you found is a highly adjustable air fork, but your weight would overwhelm it.

The RockShox Domain however, would be an excellent choice for you and your bike, and I found that CBO has the Domain 318 IS U-Turn for $519.
      [u:1k961lkt]Domain 318[/u:1k961lkt]

The Domain has an average AtC for a 6" travel adjustible fork, and that’ll be good news for your bike. Plus, the coil-sprung Domain has RockShox’s "Integrated Speed Stack" Motion Control, which will help keep the fork’s motion under check while you pedal.
      It has 115-160mm of adjustable travel, plus RockShox’s Maxle 20mm QR axle, which is the gold-standard now of QR 20mm thru-axles.

But here’s the catch. Since it’s a coil fork, you won’t be able to adjust the fork for your weight as easily as with an air fork. With your weight, it’ll more than likely have too much initial sag with the stock spring.
      The good news is that you can swap out springs to get the right set-up.
      I found the RockShox part# for the spring ratio for a >200lb rider:
      Part# 11.4015.061.000
      And here’s the maintenance manual [u:1k961lkt]PDF file[/u:1k961lkt]. Search the PDF for the part number, and it’ll give you the exploded parts view with all the Part#’s.
      Your LBS will be able to order a spring for you and install it. It’d be worth the extra cost.

The best review I’ve found as of yet about the Domain 318 U-Turn IS is from [u:1k961lkt]NSMB[/u:1k961lkt].

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.