Fixing a frozen freewheel hub

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Just read this blog about a freewheel hub freezing up on a ride and using diluted sport drink to unfreeze it. The guys also contemplated peeing on it but didn’t give that a try.

At home the author put some lubricant to drive out the moisture but I’m wondering if anyone has any other tips? I’m thinking if moisture is the problem it might help to heat the hub with a hairdryer or space heater to get it dried out. Thoughts?

Never heard of a free hub just freezing up [i:1xppjhk0]while[/i:1xppjhk0] riding. I’m wondering whether or not he had some other internal issues going on with the hub. When’s the last time he did some maintenance on the wheel I wonder? I would bet money that if it wasn’t messed up before the ride it definately is now. I wouldn’t want to be the guy that has to de-gum that hub.

I actually had that happen once…That was my bad. I put the wrong lubricant in it. The stuff that supose to be in it is a very fine grease, the one that i use is a synthetic from shimano simply call special freehub grease. If you use oil like a Phil wood tenasious that is too think and will cause the paws to sieze up.

WD40 doesn’t necessarly help, there usually is no water there to displace, which WD40 does well. It can dilute it but you have to take the wheel off and set the wheel horizontal and spray…A lot. to dilute the oil that is there and free it up.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.