First SS MTB Build

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

My First SS MTB conversion. Got an old Trek 800 frame from Craigslist. Gearing is 20X40.

$30 craigslist frame; Avid 5 levers ($30); dimension cranks ($40) ; BMX chainwhel ($20)cog & spacer kit ($25); seatpost ($15); Nail polish = $15; tires, wheels, and brakes were old parts from my Gary Fisher Wahoo that were replaced. Saddle came off of another project. Old BMX chain lying around–free. Nail polish and clear coat to touch up scratches= $15

$175 = total invested.

I took it for its first offroad ride last night. 40×20 is great for the flats but waaaaay to much for any hills. My knees are killing me today. I can definately notice a difference between the steel frame on this steed and my normal rigid aluminum frame. This is heavier but soaks up a lot of the chatter and doesn’t bounce me around as much. I like riding ss offroad. Very simple, quiet, and fun. It really does "free your mind." However, even with lower gearing, I have no clue how I would make it up steep hill switchbacks on a SS.

My original plan was to give this to my sister and buy a nicer ss mtb for myself; but I am starting to like this bike. I am thinking of throwing on some semi-slicks, fenders, and a rack, and maybe using it as a trail/commuter bike. However, I have been drooling over some SS 29ers lately. On the other hand, the frame on the conversion is 16.5 and seem to fit me better than the 18 inch frame on my normal ride. That could explain why all the 29ers I have tested out seemed like Monter Trucks……..

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.