Fat bike tires and wheels

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I just got a new fat bike that came with Maxis Mammoth 4.0″ tires. I’m finding that they don’t hold a line well, unless they’re pumped up hard. So..

1. is that normal or will other tires perform better, and what are some top picks?

2. Should I go tubeless, and is Gorilla tape the current state of the art?

In my experience, that is pretty normal. Underinflated fat bike tires (like all tires) will flop in corners… which is why I like to ride with “normal” pressure in my fat and plus tires (25-30psi).

You should definitely go tubeless, if for no other reason than just to save weight!

I run Gorilla tape in tubeless and I prefer it.  It doesn’t roll up on me like Stan’s tape does and it’s cheaper.

Do you just take out the rim strip and tape it, or does the strip go back in?    And I’ve heard 8 oz of Stan’s in a fat tire, can I cheap out and put less weight back in?

8 ounces of Stan’s sounds like a lot to me. Isn’t like 2 oz normal? At most I would double that up to 4 oz for a fat tire.

So far I’m going off of some YouTube videos.  I suppose I can experimenter.

Also looking for better rims.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.