dont repaint specialized bikes

Tagged: ,

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

it voids the warranty… glad i didnt do it but happened to find this out on their website some how but i really wanted to paint mine soon anyone paint your bike? and what about tips n techniques

im poor man lol im takin 10 bucks worth of spray paint but i would love a powder coat i know theyre more durable but thats money

I’m in the process of rebuilding my 93′ Stumpjumper for my daughter and I plan on using my neighbor’s professional "spray" paint gun. It is meant for cars so I think it will work nicely for the bike. I will take some before and after photos. Be forwarned, she wants the color to be pink.

Just a follow up on the painting vs. powder coating. I found a guy in Phoenix that powder coats frames for $65.

After I buy the paint and prep materials, and factoring in the "time is money" aspect, it would be a wash. So I’m going to have the frame powder coated. He has 75 colors I believe. He advertises on Craigslist.

powdercoating is nice, only problem is the weight.

I’d like to see someone weigh their frame bare and then weigh it again with a powder coat and then again with a full paint job.I doubt there is much noticeable difference or bike companies would not powdercoat their frames as much as they do.You could skip a cheeseburger that week and make more of a difference in weight.

"mpackcih" wrote

Interesting. I had not thought of powder coating being heavier. It is 100% solids (paint jargon) to start out with where as a liquid paint might be 35% solids, but I would think you would put more coats on in spraying it.

[i:s0a6jy01]Posting removed due to unreasonable foul language and bashing by this user.[/i:s0a6jy01]

I painted my frame using high temp ceramic engine paint, cost me in total about 40 dollar including a giant tarp to catch the over spray.

Here you go.

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/view … highlight=

I am not sure how durable it is, because the bike has not really been on a trail since it was painted and the new fork has never seen the outside world

Vtolds – with that high temperature ceramic paint job, you could be the first mountain bike rider on Mars 😆 or at least Death Valley.

Subject of powder coating was up earlier. Ran into this thread on another forum. Guy who started the thread powder coats bikes for a living so he has good info on it. Its a question and answer type thread. You would have to be a member on MTBR (or join) to ask him any questions though.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=582382

The metalic green paint job he shows is pretty awesome. I would love to bling up my bike like that. Love my Blur, but I have never been too crazy about the stock black paintjob. Always seems dull.

They make clear coat that gives the sparkly affect he got on the green frame.

"mpackcih" wrote

Yeah, the extra 1-2 oz over anodized can be a real beetch. My next doughnut will have the sprinkles left off to make up for it.

Most warranties won’t be affected as long as you can prove the prep process that doesn’t involve sand-blasting.

I just handed my Niner Rip9 frame over to a PC’er. I’ll post some pics when I get her back. Can’t wait. For less than $100 I can customize my own bike and have it exactly like I want it. I’ve got to look at it for the next 5 yrs or so, so why not?!

It really is a fun winter project when I couldn’t ride it much out here anyway. Learned a lot about my linkages by pulling them all off.

I’m leaving my old Rockhopper as-is with all of its battle scars intact.

It also makes it less likely to catch a thief’s eye when I ride it to work. 😉

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.