Developing a "DH" Mentality

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

in other words he has Titanium Cojones notme brother a tree at 30 is gonna do real damage

I LIKE TREES!!!!!!!! Especially almost hitting them (what a rush). Why are you guys giving trees a bad name????? 😆 😆 😆

(Inside joke Goose)

"Mongoose" wrote

Slap8, you’re definitely a tree hugger! 😉 I have never known anyone that loves hugging trees as much as you do. I just wonder when you and that palm tree on the FR trail are finally going to swap vows!?!? 😆

Actually, I proposed last week and we’re set to be married sunday 😆

NOT!!!!!!!

It’s mind over matter. I am usually an engine powered rider, and on my 450F, I have come to have a very special relationship with SEVERAL trees on my favorite trails. Yet for some reason, they can never seem to reach far enough into my way to snatch me off my bike.

Think about it, if there were no trees to hit, rocks to under cut you, or loose gravel to take your wheels out, would any of us even be out there???

"exploderpilot" wrote

Think about it, if there were no trees to hit, rocks to under cut you, or loose gravel to take your wheels out, would any of us even be out there???

No. Come to think of it that would just take all the fun out of everything wouldn’t it 😄

sounds like you guys enjoy pain or something what happens if you crash bad and cant work for months or a year i for one will pass unless i can find a rich woman to marry then if i get hurt and cant work she can pay my bills for me my problem and worries are solved once i find that woman. 😆 😆

I personally try and avoid two things…Trees and pain…However riding close to them is part of it. Flying over rocks (even though knowing that if i loose it i will break a bone or three). Catching air and doing skinnies is part of the excitment as well….Yeah if you loose it, it will hurt and perhaps you will break something (I shattered my clavical extreem tree huggin) but thats where learning the skills of mountain biking come into play.

So get out there and practice practice practice…Perhaps use armor while your at it.

Cheers.

Here are two quotes that don’t just fall into DH riding, but which I believe are standard for MTB’ing as a whole.

1) Pain is temporary….. Pride is forever!

2) Pain is inevitable….. Suffering is optional! 😉

Downhill mentality: Speed is your friend

Personally yes i wanna find a beautifully maintained down hill trail where nothings there to make you unstable so i can try to just go balls out and not die

cjm

You’re in the wrong state Nismo. You are surrounded by some of the best low-speed, rear break smoking, technical DH in the country. Right by Wintergreen resort and not to far away from Snowshoe. I can’t imagine how good the trails are away from the lift. The closest thing you have to buffed single track in that area is road biking. While I don’t miss the humidity at all, I do miss a surly rotten technical trail!!

I think I experienced the "DH" mentality today.

I took the escalator up instead of using the stairs. I just imagined that I was on a bike lift. Then I slid down the hand rail on the stairs to get back to the bottom floor. No work on the way up and a free gravity ride down!! DH rocks! I love "chair lifts." 😉

[quote="Jeremy_Green"]I think I experienced the "DH" mentality today.

I took the escalator up instead of using the stairs. I just imagined that I was on a bike lift. Then I slid down the hand rail on the stairs to get back to the bottom floor. No work on the way up and a free gravity ride down!! DH rocks! I love "chair lifts." 😉[/quo

Amen, The Bike park here opened today !! 4 o’clock can’t come soon enough, That’s when I get off work. Then strait to the bike park. To bad it closes at 5. Oh well a solid 45 minutes of riding, is it 4 yet ?

Hi my name is max and i love going downhill jumping. I have a saracen instinct 1 and i bought new avid juicy 3 brakes and i put chainguide but i want a better fork i want a fork for proper jumping becoz at the moment i only hv a rst strike t7.

Could any tell me what fork would be the best for me?

Well I was out yesterday tesing out products as I usally do and two may interest you the first (your request of a decent fork) is the Manitou Minute TPC. For the money you cannot go wrong it is avaliable in both 20mm front axle as well as 9mm QR..I was testing out the 20mm Super stiff tracked well and was great in both small bump compliance and big hits (5 – 6 foot drops)..Iloved every minute of it…..((Get it)) Damm I think I am gonna use that one in my review next week in the blog.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="Andrew_Gilbert":ylbsaw86]sounds like you guys enjoy pain or something what happens if you crash bad and cant work for months or a year i for one will pass unless i can find a rich woman to marry then if i get hurt and cant work she can pay my bills for me my problem and worries are solved once i find that woman. 😆 😆

Its not that we enjoy pain, speaking for myself at least, but its part of the game brother, and if we do not accept these things, then this game is not for you or I! 😉

Injuries are part of MTB’ing or other words come hand and hand with MTB’ing, especially in FR or DH. These things are inevitable and will happen no matter what or how good your riding is. I have sub stained some serious injuries when I was DH racing and some FR competition that put me up for a couple of months and some of them still plague me to this day, and I have also had some injuries when not racing. I am just getting over two toes fractured on my right foot from a weird crash off of a table-top, so as I said, it is part of the game, or other words part of MTB’ing needless to say.

Everyone has there limits, some know them and follow them, some do not care and go all out. You are one that has your limits set to a higher standard, and that is a good thing, but not for all brother. I am 40 years old, and I have had my wild days, but I still like getting my game on, and to do so, I have to push the envelope at times. With my 10 year old son becoming a very skilled FR now, and doing tricks I only wished I could do or was doing in my younger years of BMX’ing. I have to ride hard to keep up with him, which puts me at another level, but I leave the big air jumps to him, as I do not do them anymore. 😮 😢[/quote:ylbsaw86]

so are you rich or does your wife make enough to support you while you had those serious injuries? I’m not being a smartarss just trying to understand how you guys can push the limits and not seem to worry about how to pay to keep a roof,food,clothes etc… if injured badly

Yes it helps alot thanks bro. I’m guessing i somehow screwed myself years ago following my fathers footsteps as a laborer and having a physically demanding job where my body needs to work to keep my job,instead of a line of work i could do from a wheelchair. This past year i got into rock climbing and mtbikng and all the great people i met and friends i made all seem to have easy physical somewhat mentally demanding jobs and make twice as much as me while I"m throwing 13 1/2 tons of weight daily. I must say everyone on here is awesome and reading the posts has led me to this…… TO HELL WITH FEAR……..I will not give up or quit I’ll succeed or die trying. Thank You all for the inspiration you’ve given even if you don’t know you did !!!! 😼

Thanks Chili for the inspiration made me remember why i don’t sit on the couch turning into a 500lb loser. I too Don’t want to tip toe to death.

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.