Derailleur issues

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

So I recently upgraded from Alivio to SLX 9 speed rear derailleur, And when I installed it I have had a few issues. The issue thats holding me up right now is that, I installed the Rear derailleur, using Bicycle Magazines Endorsed Repair book, and got the cables installed and tightened, but it only shifts on speeds 3-8. Speeds 1, 2, and 9 cannot be engaged by the derailleur. Ive tightened the cable all the way, but it did not do enough.
      What do I need to do?

Well the big problem is that Alivio is an 8spd system. SLX is a 9spd system. So shifting issues such as these are happening…You need a 9spd shifter and cassette to make it all work. Or find another Alivio derailleur…. The SLX is nice but as I said a shifter and cassette will be needed.

Everything is on there, Ive replaced cassettes before, so I did fine with that, and the new shifters are on, as well as the chain. Ive done chains and cassettes before, and played around with derailleurs and shifters. One thing that threw me off though is that the SLX derailleur doesnt have a rear adjustment key on the derailleur itself like the Alivio does.

First a 9-speed derailleur works fine on an 8speed system, you just have to set the limit screws.

Which is probably your issue. Check the limiting screws and see if you need to back out the high gear one to allow it to drop all the way down to the smallest cog.

Tried that. Doesnt help. Any other Ideas? I saw this same problem on another bike that had a Sram X7 rear Derailleur. Also a 9 speed cassette.

cable too tight?

I am pretty sure there is a compatability issue.

"element22" wrote

Well the big problem is that Alivio is an 8spd system. SLX is a 9spd system. So shifting issues such as these are happening…You need a 9spd shifter and cassette to make it all work. Or find another Alivio derailleur…. The SLX is nice but as I said a shifter and cassette will be needed.

On my Specialized Rockhopper I replaced the OEM 8spd Alivio with a 9spd RapidRise XT and it works beautifully, with the comical exception of the gear indicator now being backwards. 😆

But that is your bike…. Working for many years at bike shops and many a bike, things work….But kinda. There are a bunch other of issues that may effect this….Amount of cable pull, cable routing (continous or not), chainline, "B" screw adjustment (distance from top pully to cassette)…All could be negative factors that may be influencing this paticular bike….Perhaps your lucky in that your Rockhopper has these factors working for it.

What kind of Rockhopper? I have a 2008 rockhopper. Also, thanks for all the help, but Ive got a friend who races professionally who is going to look at it for me. Since you guys cant easily see the problem it will be easier this way.

So after he looks at it, will he yell, "TEAM CAR"?

Just kidding, a second set of eyes is usually a good idea.

LOL good one…

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.