Decreasing time

Tagged: 

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I ride a trail 3+ times a week it is 6.5 miles Graham Swamp in florida it usually takes 45 to 50 minutes for me to do the trail i was whittling my time down as I rode more but I have reached a point in the last month or so where I have not cut my time down at all what I am trying to figger out is how I can start shaving minutes off my time again

Ride a few different trails. You may be board and have settled in to a pace that is hard to break. Ride some other trails for a couple of weeks and then go back and check your times. 😄 Later,

Find some faster people to ride with! Riding with people who are better than you will make you better.

"dgaddis" wrote

Find some faster people to ride with! Riding with people who are better than you will make you better.

I agree here, as it is the only time dgaddis is chasing me is when he is tired of eating webs and I get the honor.

Another thing I have tried is to ride a trail and try not to touch the brake. Overtime you find the faster lines.

Focus on braking and sitting less. I’ve found I can turn faster when standing. By leaning the bike I don’t notice the speed as much compared to when I’m seated and leaning body and bike.

Now I just need to work on not being seated for a few hours straight. 😆

I spend most of the time standing about 6 of the six and a half miles I will ride some other trails and on monday I think that I am going to ride it and I will focus on not braking and I will push my self as hard as I can as to not have anything left when I finish and see what my time is then

jake i hear ya, i always try and beat my last time. but yes good suggestions by the other guys. sit down use you bikes momuntium. thers a great artical in Mountain Bike Action magizine about pumping your bike this month you should read it. thats my .02

try other trails. facing different and unexpected situations could improve your skills.

beyond that, a little advice from an older guy who many moons ago was in the same ‘how many miles did i ride and how fast’ mindset, just have fun. diversify. beating the clock ain’t always where it’s at. throw away your odometer and stopwatch and hit new trails. challenging trails. something where maybe you have to get off and walk through it first. i get the idea of training, but unless you’re moving towards organized racing, you’ll get plenty of cardio even without a stopwatch, and more fun to boot. believe me, the guys dropping down shuttle runs are getting a fair share of cardio too.

and i’ll bet you’ll hit your loop faster afterwards.

"JSatch" wrote

beyond that, a little advice from an older guy who many moons ago was in the same ‘how many miles did i ride and how fast’ mindset, just have fun. diversify. beating the clock ain’t always where it’s at.

This. Just enjoy the ride, instead of chasing records…

"ollysj" wrote

This. Just enjoy the ride, instead of chasing records…

THANK YOU!
      Amen to that brother!

if you’re really commited to improving your time try running/jogging ("believe it’s a soft "j" pronounced yogging" – ???) 30-45 min (if all you can do is 20, no biggie) 3-4 times a week and not at a fast pace neccesarily but slow enough to where you could carry on a conversation. just a couple weeks of that and you’ll be blown away at how much your cardio will improve out on the trail. i run 4x a week and once a week hit the legs at the gym for strength training and have noticed a HUGE improvement on the trail and now, routinely, leave all my riding buddies in the dust 😀

"Jared13" wrote

Focus on braking and sitting less. I’ve found I can turn faster when standing. By leaning the bike I don’t notice the speed as much compared to when I’m seated and leaning body and bike.

Now I just need to work on not being seated for a few hours straight. 😆

I agree with you and i do that too, it turns faster by standing up

Do some long road rides turning a cadence of 80-100. This has helped me with endurance and I don’t get those burning legs anymore.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.