Cycling could be axed from the Olympics over Armstrong

Singletracks Mountain Bike News, Reviews, MTB Trails and Community Protected: Forums Mountain Bike Forum Cycling could be axed from the Olympics over Armstrong

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Cycling could be dumped from the Olympic program if Lance Armstrong implicated the sport’s governing body of covering up a widespread doping scheme, International Olympic Committee (IOC) member Dick Pound told Reuters on Tuesday.

Pound said the IOC might be left with no choice other than to take drastic action if Armstrong was able to prove the International Cycling Union (UCI) had acted improperly.

Read more here: http://news.msn.com/pop-culture/cycling … -armstrong

I’ve tried to just turn my head and ignore the Lance&Oprah mess, but this is just crazy. I’m feeling two conflicting responses right now:

"So since Lance can’t race, he’s going to try to ruin it for everyone else, huh?"
      "Olympics? Eh, who needs em? I’ll keep riding my bike either way."

Of course no other athletes (shotput and track come to mind) have ever doped …

So you can deep six all the Olympics 😕

This would be sad to see happen. It’s a classic story of the good suffering for the bad. I am sure there are still athletes that don’t dope. Right? Maybe a few?

CP1

Road Cycling hurts the biking industry. It only shows who the best at exercising is, who uses the most illegal substances, and fails to provide any real entertainment. It is only pulling the industry further away from real skilled bikers.

"CP1" wrote

Road Cycling hurts the biking industry. It only shows who the best at exercising is, who uses the most illegal substances, and fails to provide any real entertainment. It is only pulling the industry further away from real skilled bikers.

Other than the people on the side of the course, does anyone watch road cycling? I know I love watching the mountain bike courses, but the road cycling is a bore to witness.

"nickrm" wrote

Other than the people on the side of the course, does anyone watch road cycling? I know I love watching the mountain bike courses, but the road cycling is a bore to witness.

Here in Europe alot of ppl watched RR on TV. After all those doping incidents, the numbers dropped but it’s still bigger than MTB, which isn’t even broadcasted here.

"ollysj" wrote

[quote="nickrm":2pixu3v9]Other than the people on the side of the course, does anyone watch road cycling? I know I love watching the mountain bike courses, but the road cycling is a bore to witness.

Here in Europe alot of ppl watched RR on TV. After all those doping incidents, the numbers dropped but it’s still bigger than MTB, which isn’t even broadcasted here.[/quote:2pixu3v9]

I apologize, I guess my comment was bias towards American viewers. I need to get more culture in my life aparently.

"nickrm" wrote

[quote="ollysj":d6w9unoq][quote="nickrm":d6w9unoq]Other than the people on the side of the course, does anyone watch road cycling? I know I love watching the mountain bike courses, but the road cycling is a bore to witness.

Here in Europe alot of ppl watched RR on TV. After all those doping incidents, the numbers dropped but it’s still bigger than MTB, which isn’t even broadcasted here.[/quote:d6w9unoq]

I apologize, I guess my comment was bias towards American viewers. I need to get more culture in my life aparently.[/quote:d6w9unoq]

Actually I know a lot of people who watch the Tour De France on TV and are absolutely glued to it. I, on the other hand, haven’t watched so much as a single stage of the TDF.

I think it’s very dangerous to start generalizing that "all people" are a certain way. There are just as many wonderful people that ride road bikes as MTBs, and also just as many jerks. We need to stop hating one another just because we are different. Lots of people from all over the world enjoy road biking/racing, and some enjoy MTBing just as much! The fact is that there will always be dopers in just about every sport. Some people can’t go about it without looking for a shortcut or advantage. All we can do is make sure that WE train and prepare by the rules and let the people who cheat get caught, and they all eventually do. Now, let’s go outside and ride! 😃

"trouttrunnell" wrote

Now, let’s go outside and ride! 😃

Here Here! 😀

MTI

Ok I will go out and ride tomorrow. 32 degree high thanks for the motivation.

I will admit, I watch bike races on tv. Some of it is just for the scenery (like the Tour) others for the chess like strategy of the racing.

As for banning it? That is stupid. How many other Olympians have been busted? There goes track and field and a bunch of other events.

Just crazy. I hope this doesn’t ban bikes.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.