CLEAR CREEK COUNTY CHAPS MY HIDE!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

It’s a shame when a few get credit for everyone’s work! We got a review in the Denver Post today.

Denver Post Review

Many of the mountain bikers in Clear Creek County have been cleaning up and riding these trails many years before Smedley! Many of these trails disappear without regular maintenance. Every once in a while someone comes along and cleans up some of these trails and says “see what I didâ€

Maybe you should get together with the Clear Creek Trail Society and see if you can work that stuff out.

Maybe you should get together with the Clear Creek Trail Society and see if you can work that stuff out.

So we have gone from an ASS. To a SOCIA!
      How do you like the new web site? Just went live today . Hopefully it will help and won’t fizzle out. At last check Barbour Fork was the only thing on there . I have been riding and maintaining these trails for 20 years now and to have someone come along and say “ I got the trails cleaned up nowâ€

I’m reserving judgment on the website till they actually finish it. 😎

Yeah, that seems to be the way when you have multiple people all doing things on their own. It seems like too many people go off in their own direction doing what they think is right and then wondering why others didn’t contribute to their set of priorities. Hopefully the Clear Creek folks can get together, put aside their differences, and create a cohesive group that actually gets things done and builds some momentum. "Societies" or "Associations" or whatever have a bad habit of collapsing when people can’t work thru their differences or the original founders lose interest and move on. If somebody can get all the talent and interest moving in the same direction then there could be some really cool riding up there!

One thing I hope for is [i:2ft4itnr]sustainable[/i:2ft4itnr] trails that don’t fall apart in the next thunderstorm. If the people working on the trails don’t have the expertise to create trails that can hold up to wear and weather then a lot of time could be wasted fixing past mistakes. I hope the group emphasizes quality design so that we don’t end up with battles like the ones going on around Fruita, where the land management group(s) shut down trails created by the locals because they don’t like how the trails were built. If they haven’t already, these guys need to take some time to learn how to create trails by learning from other successful groups, reading books like the IMBA Trail Solutions book, etc., so that we don’t end up with yet another eroded mess.

In any case, if the buzz keeps mounting I definitely will be checking out the area. It sounds like fun.

How can it be a society if it’s one person trying to make money [buy map] ?
      Society :The wealthy dominate class!
      Its hard for me to support someone else’s profit when it should be for everyone’s benefit !
      I am the eternal pessimist but hopefully it will work out this time.
      It’s a good thing to see outside interest in Clear Creek once again!

I hear ya lostcause…And thanks for showing me around up there! It sucks when someone decides to take sole credit for a group effort.

Fruita locals should feel lucky that the BLM even decided to work with them. Building trails on public land WITHOUT PERMISSION should have been all the justification the BLM needed to immediately close the trails and fine those that built them. AND THEN the clandestine builders complain when the BLM legally leases the surrounding land for oil & gas development (and the BLM even put stipulations on those plots that only allowed directional drilling to reach those plots from others further away from the trails so that there would be no ground disturbance in the area). I think the BLM has bent over backwards for the Fruita mountain bikers and still they catch a ton of flack.

I remember talking with the FS in Idaho Springs about trail building quite a few years ago and maintenance and they seemed very interested in getting outside help from organizations.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.